Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Multi-versal ship size comparison (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Multi-versal ship size comparison
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta agree: TMP was a snore untill the directors cut was made.
His Star Wars fighters are a bit small though...you can place the 5'8" figure of him next to the Y-Wing (for example) and see that the fighters are mabye 10% too small.
The Length of the Battlestar Galactica seem a bit small but there is an entire linked page of reasons why it makes sense.
It's sjorter than Enterprise E but far more massive and much wider.
This site really does make the Star Wars capital ships seem ridiculous in their size and ineffectivness: Look at the Super Star Destroyer and realize that for all the millions of tons of material and thousands of crew and officers that went into it, it can still be destroyed bt some kamakazie hit from the smallest rebel fighter. [Confused]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So could the Galaxy class. Although I think the Jem 'Hadar, as opposed to the AAAAH-ing A-Wing pilot,
knew what they were doing and how to do it.

That scene would've tripled its drama value had the A-Wing pilot gotten a critical hit, noticed he'd lost shields AND weapons and was outnumbered,
and steered it into the SSD deliberately.

Whilst proclaiming the words of Harvey Keitel, naturally.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Star Trek certainly gets the award for most spacecraft designs...

...I still dont like the Negh'var drawing...it doesnt look right...as if the black jutting from the bottom of the ship was something someone using MS Paint forgot to touchup or erase...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Wasn't there a line like it's such and such long and Uhura says - that could hold a crew of ten thousand and the good doctor wisely says or a crew of ten 1000 feet tall or something to that effect.
Removed in the director's cut, incidently, which is kind of too bad, as I sort of enjoyed it.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
So could the Galaxy class. Although I think the Jem 'Hadar, as opposed to the AAAAH-ing A-Wing pilot,knew what they were doing and how to do it.

Actually it's not the same thing due to the mass diffrences of the Jemmie attacker (98 meters by 110 across and several hundred tons with a crew of up to 40) as opposed to a fighter smaller than a modern fighter plane.
As you pointed out,the Jem'Hadar waited untill the Odyssey took down it's shields and aimed for the ship's warp core intentionally.

By scale comparison with the Executor it a GCS would have to be destroyed by a softball sized object for the comparisdon to be accurate. [Wink]
If you take the "small ships" and place them next to the executor you would'nt even be able to see an A-Wing on the screen. [Wink]

Why does the Empire design all it's huge ships and stations to be vulnerable to small bands of relativly shortly armed fighters?
Not too smart.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Why does the Empire design all it's huge ships and stations to be vulnerable to small bands of relativly shortly armed fighters?"

Well, remember that the SSD had taken a pounding from the entire Rebel fleet before it was struck by Red Squad's resident kamikaze pilot, so its shields were already softened up considerably - at least enough to be easily penetrated by a lone out-of-control fighter, which (conveniently) rammed the bridge and did the ship in.

You could also make a case for the Mk I Death Star: it was designed to counter large, sluggish capital ships with its innumerable surface defenses, not a handful of nimble fighter craft (the rationale being that NO military strategist in his right mind would EVER send in three fighter squadrons against a mobile, MOON-SIZED battlefortress) that could exploit its one weakness - which wouldn't be public knowledge if those stupid droids hadn't gotten away.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Pretty big boner of them not to have sealed the tunnel that led straight to the second Death Star's reactor core when they knew the rebels were coming and that they knew the rebels destroyed the first station using the EXACT same tactics.
Both times:
Rebels steal plans. (The empire actually LET them steal ACCURATE plans the second time! DORKS!)
Rebels send small bands of fighters to exploit a known weakness in the station's design (or lack of completion).
If the empire had just changed the schematics that they LET be stolen to lead the fighters down one of those other branching tunnels and into a dead end then RTOJ would have led to the Rebel's destruction even if the Emperor was thrown down a open bottomless pit with no handrail. [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, well, chalk it up to the old fart not being "all there" (and overconfident) when he handed the Bothans those blueprints. [Big Grin]
Captain39
Member # 1001

- posted      Profile for Captain39     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Wasn't there a line like it's such and such long and Uhura says - that could hold a crew of ten thousand and the good doctor wisely says or a crew of ten 1000 feet tall or something to that effect.

Andrew

Whipped out the old VHS.
Uhura: It could hold a crew of ten's of thousands.
McCoy: Or a crew of a thousand ten miles tall.

--------------------
I can resist everything except temptation. -Oscar Wilde

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

If thee's anything that should have been edited out it's McCoy's 70's disco look when he's first transported aboard.
He look like a super aged version of John Travolta from dance fever. ((Shudder!))

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
least it wasn't a 'fro....

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Only because Uhura was'nt cast as a man.
Otherwise it would have been Shaft at communications back then. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
Member # 256

...speakin' jive through the com, can you dig it?

[ May 08, 2003, 03:21 AM: Message edited by: Cartmaniac ]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must admit - I have seen TMP (original version) so many times - but I was ENTHRALLED with the Director's Version. That alien-guy in blue on the starboard side of the bridge the K'Normian even gets a line!! [Smile]

When I first saw the shot of V'Ger's actual ship I gave an 'audible' WOW! Cause I HAD seen it in the Art of Star Trek - and there it was... the electricity effects and everything. It's shape makes all those inside V'Ger landscape shot - makes them make sense! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, remember that the SSD had taken a pounding from the entire Rebel fleet before it was struck by Red Squad's resident kamikaze pilot, so its shields were already softened up considerably - at least enough to be easily penetrated by a lone out-of-control fighter, which (conveniently) rammed the bridge and did the ship in.
So the Empire goes to the time and trouble to build a miles-long starship and doesn't bother to put an emergency bridge somewhere in case (perish the thought) someone should actually TARGET the main command facility? Oy, gevalt!

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps