Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Multi-versal ship size comparison (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Multi-versal ship size comparison
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
If the empire had just changed the schematics that they LET be stolen to lead the fighters down one of those other branching tunnels and into a dead end then RTOJ would have led to the Rebel's destruction even if the Emperor was thrown down a open bottomless pit with no handrail. [Big Grin]

the emperor finally had to pay for years of continued ignorance of OSHA regulations.. how many independant contractors would have been saved if handrails and dual language warning signs had been posed next to bottomless pits (or doors that lead to bridges that arent there)?
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"So the Empire goes to the time and trouble to build a miles-long starship and doesn't bother to put an emergency bridge somewhere in case (perish the thought) someone should actually TARGET the main command facility? Oy, gevalt!"

Gee, might that have something to do with the Empire's rigid doctrines of building what were believed to be practically unassailable starships? Much like a certain Federation we all know and love, whose BRILLIANT engineers, in strokes of unparalleled genius, place TRANSPARENT ALUMINIUM-shielded bridges DIRECTLY ON TOP of THEIR mightiest ships, and tuck secondary BATTLE bridges away for all eternity deep inside them (because during combat, there is AMPLE opportunity for a command crew to vacate the main bridge, especially after a photon torpedo barrage).

The SSD just happened to spin out of control before anyone in the "emergency bridge" (surprise!) could react.

Save for your sarcasm for someone else, m'kay?

[ May 08, 2003, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Cartmaniac ]

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
quote:
If the empire had just changed the schematics that they LET be stolen to lead the fighters down one of those other branching tunnels and into a dead end then RTOJ would have led to the Rebel's destruction even if the Emperor was thrown down a open bottomless pit with no handrail. [Big Grin]

the emperor finally had to pay for years of continued ignorance of OSHA regulations.. how many independant contractors would have been saved if handrails and dual language warning signs had been posed next to bottomless pits (or doors that lead to bridges that arent there)?
Not to mention automatic doors that close at 300 miles per hour (in Ep IV)!! [Big Grin]

Cartmaniac :
This is Flare! I can't keep my sarcasm to myself!
It's in the handbook you know. [Wink]
...and the "obvious target" of the bridge applies equally to those miles long Star Destroyers too y'know.
The Empire is chock full of the *smart* guys that almost crashed two of those miles long STar Destroyers into each other in ESB as I recall... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not you, Jason. [Razz]

Anyway, I think we can all agree that Exposed Command Center = Bad Thing, no?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartmaniac:

Anyway, I think we can all agree that Exposed Command Center = Bad Thing, no?

Well...not if you're the one attacking....! [Razz]

The So'Na, Romulan, Reman, Dominion, Mon Calimari, Breen and Tholian ships all have bridges buried safely within their hulls, so I guess it's just the humans and Klingons that are foolish in the ship design area. [Wink]
One cerntalized Impulse engine seems a large target as well...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, how in the world do you know where the bridges on those ships are?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I know where they're not: they're not at the center of a circular bullseye like on Fed ships or at the highest point on the dorsal side like on Imperial ships. [Wink]
The (often inaccurate, I know) specs in the ST:TM show the aproxamite locations of the bridges on the Dominion and So'Na ships.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Romulan bridge is pretty much front and centre (and maybe a little to the top).

The BoP had it right in the middle. The Battlecruiser had it right out front.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Klingons and Fed ships might as well place some neon piping around their bridges with a sign marked "shoot here".

...of course I'm sure that anyone with sensors could figure out a bridge's location pretty quickly.

I agree with you, Andrew that the Romulan bridge is somewhere in the warbird's "head" but it might be buried deep for safety reasons.

The D-7 is the worst idea in bridge design ever: why didint anyone just shoot hat skinny "neck" and be done with it?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The D-7 is the worst idea in bridge design ever: why didint anyone just shoot hat skinny "neck" and be done with it?

Perhaps it's a Klingon thing.

"Brave, honourable warriors of the Empire do not cower in fear in the middle of our ships! We place ourselves at the front, in grave danger, so that we may gain much honour! Qapla!"

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember Gene's rationale for the bridge being at the top of the saucer being something like "when the shields fail, most contemporary weapons will be able to blast through the structural material well enough that it won't really matter if you bury the bridge deep inside the saucer"...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually a 80 AU V'Ger would probably be on the same page as the Dyson Sphere. Of course the Dyson Sphere would be the size of this period.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, it is only 8 in the director's cut. Or did someone already point that out? At any rate, I think counting an energy/gas cloud as a structure might be stretching things a bit.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the cloud seem to do something when the Klingons got near it and when it enveloped Epsilon 9.

It's a wonder they never reused the Epsilon 9 model in TNG.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Because it was hideous and looked far too dated for even Kirk's time after we saw stations like Regula One and Spacedock. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps