Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Unseen Classes' Development Patches (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Unseen Classes' Development Patches
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a little puzzled with the fanbase's obsession with emulating the GCS's rounded triangle-style logo. Surely there can be a bit more variation?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was offering some more expressive kanji. The one you've used is a bit dull. How about something that looks like it done with a brush rather than a computer?

In regards to the names, I was pointing out that your "miamoto" should be "minamoto" with an "n."

What bugs me slightly about the Sequoia patch is that tree. It is supposed to be the central element, but then is half covered by the text below. But since it is so long and thing I don't know how you could shorten it without making it even thinner. I'm not sure what the focus of the patch is.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The_Tom:
I'm a little puzzled with the fanbase's obsession with emulating the GCS's rounded triangle-style logo. Surely there can be a bit more variation?

Well, the triangular form is used throughout Starfleet for such logos. The Galaxy Class Development Project, as you mentioned, the logo of Starfleet Academy, the logo of Earth Station McKinley, to name a few. Sure there can be variation, but the triangle is established, so it's a logical starting point for other such logos.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

ASDB_J
Member # 312

- posted      Profile for ASDB_J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Andrew: like it or not the ship, the swoop and the tree are pre-requsites of the chap who came up with the ship's design so it's something I have to work around.

Damn right... ^_^
And I appreciate that, Kris.

The_Tom brought up an interesting point, however - my original patch for this class was circular, with a few extra rings if I recall... It rather suggested a cross-section of a tree, showing its age-rings. I made the Korolev a rounded-triangle patch, but I just thought the circle better suited Sequoia.

I like what you've done but if you're not busy drawing Nova patches, see how a round Sequoia patch would look sometime? [Wink]

Jas

p.s. - here's my original:
 -

--------------------
http://stmultiverse.homestead.com

ASDB_J
Member # 312

- posted      Profile for ASDB_J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
btw - I did that before I had PSP and text-along-curve... @_@

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Capt_Spencer:
quote:
Andrew: like it or not the ship, the swoop and the tree are pre-requsites of the chap who came up with the ship's design so it's something I have to work around.

Damn right... ^_^
And I appreciate that, Kris.
{snip}[/IMG]

Sheesh! It was just a friggin' suggestion. Considering you weren't getting any comments at the START of the thread...

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

ASDB_J
Member # 312

hehe...

Oh hey AR, not to hijack this thread, but could you sketch over what you meant about the Mariner prototype's nacelles? It would just be easier for me to revise them in one shot if I got it straight from the horse's mouth.

Jas

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I like what you've done but if you're not busy drawing Nova patches, see how a round Sequoia patch would look sometime?
Well I've kinda set a precedent with my work and I'm determined to keep all my Post-Antares patches triangular.

What I can do however is this.

-

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This actually looks better than the triangual patch. In particular to darker background with the mass of trees and the sky above is better. Maybe you could keep the layout but make it triangular, including the text along the edge?

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look above Masao - he told me "Nein!".

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's workable, now that I've had a proper look at the original concept.

-

Oh and Masao, yes I would love some calligraphy style Kanji.
I would try and find a font for it myself but not knowing anything about the Japanese language it would involve endless random key punching, trying to find the symbols I need.
That Cherokee bit took me ages to sort out!

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Oh it's Cherokee! But why the number 4??

I like the patch - but maybe have the 'base' of the tree below where we can't see it so we don't have any sort of size comparisons between it and the ship.

And the text that is yellow - is still blurry.

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Oh it's Cherokee! But why the number 4??

The "4" is Cherokee for "se".

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you may know, American Indians had no written forms for their languages. One Cherokee, whose name escapes me, invented a writing system for his language that is used above. Some of the letters are from the Roman alphabet, some are Arabic numbers, some are modifications of either, and some he just made up.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan McReynolds:
One Cherokee, whose name escapes me, invented a writing system for his language that is used above.

Sequoia invented it.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps