Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » New Ship design inqueries/responses (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New Ship design inqueries/responses
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same reason you didn't send me the stories again when I asked three or four vanishings ago......

Same with Dukhat....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why aren't there more potted plants on the bridge!?! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In all of Trek, only the USS Phoenix MIGHT have had plants on the bridge - you can see one through the door to his ready room. Cap'n Maxwell likes his bridge comfy.

And yeah... The bridge request you sent me is right behind having the time to finish off Sector Gamma. [Frown]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

USS_Delphronta
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for USS_Delphronta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For starters all of the images were made in MSPAINT, or MLCAD so the bridge is kinda scaled bad.

Q: "How do the crew get to the lounge/transport/Ready Room?"

A: "Do they have to walk THROUGH the Turbolift?"
Sorta the turbolift would rotate as they said there destination as a adjoining room.

Q: "Because what if a car isn't there, they have to wait?"

A: The turbolifts are specialized.. there are always 2 turbolifts that stay at the bridge so you can get from room to room.

Q: Why does tactical have to be in front of helm? 3x over at that? Shouldn't the navigator have a clear view out the viewscreen (although I know they don't really need it...)

A: Tactical are sorta in recessed console areas so there not in the way of the viewscreens.

"However, the command chairs aren't protected by any sort of railing that I can see, making it a nasty tumble when the ship is rocking around - even if they were protected, the railing would probably obstruct the viewer, which would suck on movie nights."

I was thinking that a force field "belt" could be embedded into the chairs or somtehing, programmed sorta like intertial dampeners. While walking or standing a specialized set of intertial dampeners would have to be implemented to keep you from flying around while.

Why aren't there more potted plants on the bridge!?!

umm... I used the plants cause well I had nothing better to do with my time?......

There should NEVER be more than five steps up or down on a bridge.

I only count 5.

No more than TWO people should cross the CO's view of the main screen when getting from one place to another on the bridge via the shortest route.

Only if the CO walks to the very back of the bridge is his view obstructed from more then 2 people.....

There can't be more than FOUR types of seats on the bridge

I orionally had only 3 types of chairs.. but i changed them to give it some eye-candy....I know bad idea......

There should be at least TWO ways to get in or out of the bridge under normal operating circumstances.

Theres 5, 2 turbolifts, Emergency turbolift, Jefferies tube, and the transporter(given that you can make it there and it is functioning).

And while on a ship this big you might be able to justify having three tactical consoles, it's really doubtful that they'd all need to look out the same window while shooting stuff; in fact, Trek demonstates that the tac guy rarely needs to look at the viewer, and is generally positioned as such. Hell, on the Prometheus and Defiant - about as tactically-oriented as starships get - the tactical consoles were pointed AWAY from the viewer!

Umm..... My bad! I agree completely.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only posted my rules o' thumb as a demonstration of how I do my stuff - I wasn't saying you were breaking 'em all. To each his own - and there are far better bridges out there than anythign I've ever come up with.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark! What ever happened to that bridge request I made of you waaaaay back for my Merrimac?
It was more of a beg than a request actually, waaay back when I was a newbie.
You're supposed to do whatever we say, after all. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps