Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » LF Class (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: LF Class
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LF Class

Remember this thread?

Based somewhat on Monkey's work, and likewise inspired by Greg Jein's model, this would be one of the United Earth vessels taking on the Kzinti during the four Kzinti attacks on Earth and allied colonies in the early years of the 22nd century (I do not necessarily maintain continuity with regards to Star Trek Enterprise).

The nacelle and living module still need to be designed, as these black things are obviously just dummies. And the engineering hull needs some more detailing.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's some very nice work!
I look forward to seeing the living module detailed.

Monkey's story ideas aside, this design could easily fit into continuity in the late 21st century.
It could even be one of the theorised pre-war ships (like the Valiant & Conestoga) that were fitted with warp dive after first contact.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Got stuck on the nacelles just now. I'll get back to it tomorrow [Smile]

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nacelles are always tricky things to design, especially early ones.
What I like to do is have a 'parts bin' from which I can mix and match the components I like, then go back and refine the detailing and make it look a little more unique.

For example, most of these share allot of common components.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that's pretty impressive work there, Harry! I can see some commonality with both the SS Valiant and the DY series there... [Smile]

It certainly looks a fair sight better than some other sketches I've seen for pre-ENT stuff!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does everything behind the mushroom cap belong to the drive system?
Is this going to have both warp nacelles and a chemical thrust bell?

Looks good so far. My only suggestion at this point is to blend in those elbows on those forward tanks more.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice, Harry. I'm glad my sketches were able to serve as inspiration. I like what you've got so far.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Most (if not all) of what's behind the shield is part of the warp drive. The tanks are probably dueterium tanks (and perhaps some other replenishables, like water). The red spheres are Easily Ejectable Antimatter ContainersTM.
And the aft part is mostly ion (or impulse) rockets.

Masao, what do you mean by blending in the elbows more?

Oh, and Dan, it's pre-TOS, not pre-ENT [Wink]

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mistake, Harry. [Razz]

I'd suggest that the ship's sublight engines be a primitive impulse design. (Actually, impulse engines actually ARE ion engines, IIRC -- it's thrust generated by the plasma, really, just a bit more refined and sophisticated.) Actually, if this ship is from the 2090's or so, I think that a basic fusion-powered impulse engine would be just about right for thirty years after First Contact. Either home grown or developed with Vulcan assistance. (Genuine assistance, mind you, not ENT-style "assistance." [Wink] )

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, early Earthlings triumphed over the Kzinti by borrowing Heechee ships? [Smile]

Timo Saloniemi

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harry, you have a great looking ship so far. She looks like something that was built after the launch of the Phoenix. I can not wait to see her when you get done. Once again, great job. [Wink]

Cheers,

Sarvek

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By "elbows," I mean those 90-degree connectors on the longitudinal pipes behind the shield. Rather than the elbows having much smaller diameters than the straight part, I'd just give them the same diameter and have a smooth but bent pipe (or you could have a smoothly tapering pipe).

Just my style, but do what you'd like!

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice!

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

UPDATE

Added the forward hull (obviously designed by the DY company [Smile] ). I stil have to work a bit on that connection arm, and I just realised that those antimatter pods are not necessary, as matter/antimatter aren't used yet in this era 8)

But I would like to have some greeblies there.. and the Jein model does have some sort of spheres there. Any idea what they might do?

--------------------

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fuel pods. I assume that whatever powers this thing needs to be shielded and kept away from the squishy little carbon-units.

quote:

But I would like to have some greeblies there.. and the Jein model does have some sort of spheres there. Any idea what they might do?

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps