Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Map of San Francisco (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Map of San Francisco
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Half now. (big file)
bX
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Half later.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the first half, you just scanned an old rusty pipe.

Admit it.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Member # 419

Aww, great. He might have gone for it too...
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"the UFP Council Chambers are in San Francisco"

Do we really know this for sure? I mean, ST IV made it appear that way, but personally I'm not so sure that scene actually displayed the "real" Federation Council anyway. Certainly with the transporation technology of the late 23rd century there's plenty of time for the President to jet from Paris to San Francisco during the course of the film.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Establishing shot of the landing field wiht the Golden Gate bridge in the background, and a building off to the right bearing the legend "United Federation of Planets". Cut to --

Interior Federation Council chambers as we watch the fiery death of the Enterprise.

Seems a pretty easy leap to make, especially as they do the same thing at the end -- landing field, cut to the Council President saying "Bring in the accused".

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam Xumucane:
Half later.

by crom!
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But, A.) I just don't like that idea. B.) That obviously wasn't the Federation Council proper. Or, rather, shouldn't be.

I realize that that's the implication the movie wants to deliver, but I'm suggesting that it doesn't necessarily do it so strongly we can't ignore it if we want to, and, well, I want to, for a couple reasons which others may agree or disagree with to varying degrees. One, it just wasn't a very impressive set. It lacked the grandeur of, say, the UN General Assembly or the US Congress, and didn't have the compact franticness of the UK House of Commons. So, I mean, I don't like it on aesthetic grounds. Well, so what, you might ask. Well, it was filled with Starfleet personnel, which doesn't make much sense, unless you're one of those boring "Star Trek as fascist dream" people. And, finally, I doubt the Federation Council proper would waste its time on a hearing like that. That's what you have committees and subcommittees for.

So, I mean, this is mostly an issue of personal taste, with some minor 'textual' examples thrown in, but it seems to me reasonable, perhaps even likely, that what we saw wasn't the Federation Council, and could in fact be some distance removed from that body's usual meeting place.

(Of course, it doesn't make much sense to have an officer, even an Admiral, tried personally by the head of state. So who knows.)

On an unrelated note, I dreaded those Centauri throne room scenes from Babylon 5 for similar reasons, despite having some of the strongest acting in the series. The supreme leader of an interstellar empire (even one in decline) holding court in a hallway decorated like a set from a Shannon Tweed film? Yes, yes, budget, etc.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One could also mention that the ST4 scene just didn't have enough people in it to be the whole council.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed to all of that. Those scenes were politically and legally nonsense, and certainly NOT the Council.

That does not mean, however, that that particular conference room was not part of the UFP Headquarters complex.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My best guess would be that what we saw was the Federation Security Council. That would explain the small size of the room since it was a working room and not too concerned with not being impressive enough and the abundance of Starfleet personnel.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the impression that the trial was held more for show and to appease the, uh, overzealous Klingon ambassador than to follow real judicial procedure.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"We demand justice!"

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam Xumucane:
Half later.

You forgot 'Zygote' under the southern ice-cap [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

bX
Member # 419

I knew I was forgetting something, I just assumed it was my medicine again.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps