Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Miscellaneous Stuff (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Stuff
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think top-of-the-line models was referring to cleaning apparatus that can get rid of the Klingon smell.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"When did they become paals with the Gorn?
"I dont think te Gorn were ever mentioned again (aside from Sisko's reference in Tirals nad Tribulations)."

The Gorn weren't, but Cestus III was. The fact that it had human inhabitants in the 24th century has led people to believe that the Federation must have made up with the Gorn.

Or the Gorn were all killed by an asteroid hitting their homeworldand the Federation just moved in later.
Or they just could not grow any good weed on the planet and gave it away.
Or anything.
Even the Tholians and Romulans had ambassdors at the conference the Dominion bombed on Earth but not the Gorn.
Mabye they were protesting the SFB guys stupidly naming all Gorn ships after Earth dinosaours. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I think top-of-the-line models was referring to cleaning apparatus that can get rid of the Klingon smell."

OK, I can't tell anymore; this is intended as a joke, right?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sure hope so...or Andrew has very odd notions about...well everything.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marauth:
But we'll always posses our deep rooted base drives, i.e. to kill, to procreate and to accumulate worthless stuff. Greed will follow us to the stars wether we want it to or not.

Are you sure you're in the right place? This is Star Trek; the dystopian-punk scifi forum is three nodes over. [Smile]

Agree with you about the religion part, though.

Marian

This random sig quote is brought to you by Hildy Johnson:
"When I'm feeling festive I might put on a colorful skirt, more of a sarong, really, and never fret about the hemline. But most of what I wear wouldn't have raised eyebrows if I had gone back in time and walked the streets in the years before sex changing."
--John Varley, Steel Beach

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The point I was making is that ST shows a completely unrealistic view of the future of humanity - we will never be as altruistic as the Federation, it goes against human nature which is something that no amount of paradise can overcome.

And god do I hate punk-sci-fi.

P.S. this ain't the ST forum, it's the DAC so dystopian future comments aren't outlawed [Smile]

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if I'm remembering correctly, Kirk & Co. seem to barely tolerate the Klingon presence in "Trouble W/ Tribbles." I think Gene was very wise in portraying the Federation as a bastion of social integration, and I don't think the movies were necessarily betraying this philosophy. Khan says it himself (dripping with irony) on approach "We are one big happy fleet," right before he exploits precisely that trust to cripple Enterprise, (killing a bunch of idealistic trainee redshirts in the process). In VI the xeno-intolerance is the real enemy the heroes are fighting against, both internally and externally. The movie was about changing our perceptions of what had until recently been our bitter foes. And Kirk is able to overcome his own prejudice (note: stirred up by the particularly cruel and intolerant Kruge in ST:III) to A) beam unarmed into the belly of the enemy's ship in an attempt to aid Gorkon and eventually B) thwart the assasination attempt which would have furthered the xeno-phobic agenda. So where the ugly, naked hate expressed by several of the admirals and Kirk himself early in VI may seem to contradict Gene's vision of Starfleet, by the end of the film that school of thought is shown to be inappropriate and ultimately hideously criminal. It may not be the shiny utopia we assumed it was in TOS, but I assume the message these movies is trying to communicate is that these problems will need constant vigilance and may even require us to alter what we had assumed to be altruistic and enlightened perceptions. Hell one could even say that this message is timely given current events.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^ That's too much text. Should I read all that?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
about the only thing I'll admit he got right was that we'll one day abandon God. Ironically the thing everyone else thinks is his major failing.

1/ They do?

and

2/ Thank God you're here to say what he got right and wrong about his predictions for humanity's future.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Definitely not.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
1/ They do?

and

2/ Thank God you're here to say what he got right and wrong about his predictions for humanity's future.

One day it will happen, every generation becomes more and more apathetic towards religion, some convert to pathetic non-religions like wicca, others become budhist 'because it's cool' but a lot are moving towards atheism and about bloody time too. I've had a lot of people tell me how they think GR was wrong on religion and how great it is [Roll Eyes] . Idiots.

Besides we certainly haven't achieved any of GR's other predictions for our future, we're just as intolerant and spiteful and greedy and backstabbing judases as ever, more so than ever before IMO.

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[SNIPPAGE] IMO.

That's the one thing missing from your previous posts that made them so annoying. You need to do more of this. A lot more. Stating an opinion as if it were an incontrovertable fact tends to annoy people who disagree--as you may have noticed. [Smile] And personally, I think a polite difference of opinion is much more fun than a flame war.

Marian

MarianLH
Member # 1102

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
about the only thing I'll admit he got right was that we'll one day abandon God. Ironically the thing everyone else thinks is his major failing.

1/ They do?

and

1) That certainly seemed like GR's intention, although he had to be subtle about it, especially in the 60s.

2) Hear hear

Marian

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please please please don't go down this path here. Any discussions regarding religion or religious figures is limited to the Flameboard.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps