Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » USS Excalibur bridge once again. (Page 11)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: USS Excalibur bridge once again.
omi
Member # 1695

- posted      Profile for omi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I understand now. I'm working on the cutaway. You can see the shuttle bay, lower are stored shuttles and underneath can be repair bay and spare parts.

--------------------
Graphic, design, concepts, starsihp intrior's layouts, font, wallpapers, DVD covers and more ... browse ST Projects.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh....Groovy.

What are the two ope squares in the saucer and secondary hull?
Too small for the computer cores...claustrophobic's quarters?
Zero-G dodgeball?

Stellar Cartography mabye (though too big).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

omi
Member # 1695

- posted      Profile for omi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That should be computer cores. But as I said, I've just begin with this. Do you think it's too small? 3 decks tall? Ambassador is smaller than Galaxy, needs smaller cores [Smile]

--------------------
Graphic, design, concepts, starsihp intrior's layouts, font, wallpapers, DVD covers and more ... browse ST Projects.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that much smaller!
I'd have the core at least six decks tall- this is the refit after all- computer capacity is what most starship refits would be all about after all.

Hell- the Sovvie and Galaxy's computers are the core of the ship.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

omi
Member # 1695

OK, OK. But what about nanotechology? Everything is getting smaller and smaller [Smile] Refit has the same size core, but with more capacity [Smile]

OK, I made it bigger [Smile]

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Good.

Besides, Voyager spoiled any chance of the word "nanotechnology" ever being cool on trek.

I've got an idea! we'll make that large chamber a V.R. room where the ship's pilot will use kung fu and boxing to activate the ship's weapons!

Wait, that's the single dumbest idea ever. only a moron would like that. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

omi
Member # 1695

Yeah, I was thinking about full holographic bridge. It may change, when you enters combat - tactical officer will just point a finger to holographic target and ship will fire [Smile] But have no idea, what would they do, when they loose power [Big Grin]

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...we'll make that large chamber a V.R. room where the ship's pilot will use kung fu and boxing to activate the ship's weapons!"

You're just never going to get over that gripe, are you?

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's not alone. God, that idea was stupid.

Computer cores are huge on most starships. Even though they keep getting smaller these days, a huge core conveys the sense that whatever computing needs teh ship has are way, way beyond whatever we've got now. Today, they've got ten story building-sized computers used for weather modelling that STILL aren't good enough.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
He's not alone. God, that idea was stupid.

Why did you have to remind me of that? I thought I had finally erased it succesfully from my memories...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
"...we'll make that large chamber a V.R. room where the ship's pilot will use kung fu and boxing to activate the ship's weapons!"

You're just never going to get over that gripe, are you?

No. It's the worst idea in al of sci-fi, IMHO.
Also, JMS was going on and on about how great the movie was both before and after it aired.
It killed the last shred of admiration I had for him.
But it's far off topic, so I'll stop ranting (for now).

A holographic bridge would not work real well because we're always seeing power failures on Trek, but of it had a physical backup, stuff like future Jadzia's "holographic controls" might be nice- particularly if you could access the controls from anywhere on the ship in an emergency.

Besides, if they had a holographic bridge, we'd never get to see Unnamed Crewman get caught in a control panel explosion.
And that makes an episode for me. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um.... What are you guys talking about? I think I missed something...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I had run a slight tangent rant on the stupidity of the TV movie Legend of The Rangers, wherein the pilot used a V.R. interface to fire the ship's weapons by using some cheesy tae-bo nonsense moves.

It was baaaad. So bad, I could not even laugh at it in a MST3K way.
I was in shock that it ever got produced- or even made it past the storyboard stage.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Captain Serek
Member # 1038

- posted      Profile for Captain Serek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, I prefer the real birdge with blinking and flashing and blinking and flashing [Big Grin]

--------------------
I've come a long way for the power of Genesis, and what do I find? A Square Pegs reject, another actress playing Saavik, and Leonard Nimoy's stand-in.

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps