Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » New Jaffa Helmets (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: New Jaffa Helmets
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, there's no reason you have to fit the movie into continuity with the series, I don't think. The fact that O'Neill is spelled differently in the show is an intentional clue to that effect. Personally, I'd say it's, like, the main events of the film took place in the TV show universe, but not quite as shown in the film.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That'd be cool to have a quantum mirror episode where they flick through the alternate realities and they have James Spader and Kurt Russell appear briefly on the other side.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "mirror versions" of O'Neil and Daniel would be funny. Stock fotage would work nice enough.
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
We've seen a decent amount of variation in the Jaffa's uniforms, too, haven't we? Wasn't there one Goa'uld who had his Jaffa (or at least a few of them) decked out in Ninja-esque garb? I'm thinking Anubis...

And Sokar's Jaffa weren't traditional, were they?

I dig Ra's Jaffa uniforms, but I think Ra was on, like, a vacation or something during the movie. At the very least, he acted alot differently than other Goa'uld we've seen. And he didn't have hordes of troops all over his ship either.

I still think Ra was something a bit diffrent than the ol' "worm in the belly" version parasite.

Mabye he was older, mabye he'd used an Asgard as a host before discovering Earth (explaining the odd -and creepy- flashback scene)...something to make this rather femminie bozo from the movie into a source of fear and awe for the other Goauld.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno... I find ladyboys frightening anyway.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup- waay scarier than hokey worm parasites that look like pissed-off flowers.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pelops is Greek. He wasn't a god, but a man. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelops I dunno what to represent him by...I don't think an ivory shoulder would quite work [Smile] Probably just an ivory Spartan-sort of helmet.

Nirrti was Hindu - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirrti Again, don't know what to represent her by, but as the goddess of Death, perhaps a skull.

Kali wasn't four-armed; the extra arms were severed limbs worn as a girdle. There's a good description under the Iconography section of the appropriate Wiki entry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kali#Iconography The most relevant section, I think, would be
quote:
In most early representations, skulls, cemeteries, and blood are associated with her worship. She is black, naked and emaciated. Her face is azure, streaked with yellow, her glance is ferocious; her disheveled and bristly hair is usually shown splayed and spread like the tail of a peacock and sometimes braided with green serpents.
So, I'd think a ferocious female blue face, streaked with yellow, with Medusa-like hair. Certainly would be neat-looking on the screen.

Chronos was the god of time, depicted as an old man with a long beard....so perhaps a Greek-esque form of the typical Egyptian Pharoahic deathmask, with a longer beard?

Zapacna is incorrect; it's spelt Zipacna, and he was a demon in Mayan mythology. He was depicted by a large caiman (a crocodilian reptile) so that'd be a good helmet. Cool-looking too!

Very very cool idea. Hope I've helped.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't Zipacna just subservient to Apophis and then to Anubis?

A reason why there was maybe an Anubis guard in The Movie - Anubis had been kicked out by the other Goa'uld a long time ago - maybe Ra absorbed his forces?

BUT I think in the movie they were actually supposed to be "Ra" "Anubis" and "Horus" - look at the end credits. Although there seemed to be two Horus guards and only one Anubis.

BTW have you started drawing/designing yet Aban!?! [Smile]

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Mabye Ra used the First Prime of each of the system-lord he dominated as a show of strength-
Nothing says "I'm the boss" like a visible (if symbolic) collection of your conquored rivals.

Imagine it: Ra demands total obidence and fealty from his fallen enemies and uses the honor-bound First Prime to ensure his will is carried out.

In exchange, he's merciful (or at least spares the system lord and the general population.

Ra might have been a sissy, but he seems far less prone to the emotional outbursts and petty hatreds that make the other Gouald inevitably sloppy.

[ January 23, 2006, 01:18 AM: Message edited by: Jason Abbadon ]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
petty...
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Like your thinking there Jason.

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I think Ra was on, like, a vacation or something during the movie. At the very least, he acted alot differently than other Goa'uld we've seen. And he didn't have hordes of troops all over his ship either."

Might go hand in hand with him being a dying outcast. He'd be down to his last Jaffa, hoping against hope to rebuild his power base by using the otherwise long-abandoned Abydos. The desert world wouldn't breed vast armies very fast, so better use the local populance for mining first, military service second, rather than tap the limited pool for two things at once...

Do the Goa'uld get free picks for what god they play to their slaves? If I were a juvenile Goa'uld working my way up, I'd pick as impressive a god as I possibly could; some of the above choices sound a bit petty. OTOH, did the Goa'uld make up the gods, or did they adopt gods created by the slaves of Earth? If the former, I'd expect them to constantly invent new gods to play, rather than just recycle the old ones.

Most of the human slaves have had no contact with Earth for millennia, and just plain wouldn't recognize an obscure old Earth god. If you are going to descend from space and tell them "I am this kind of deity with this kind of backstory, now kneel", there's not much point in using a "real" god and backstory...

The newest generation of Goa'uld would do well to use modern Earth fiction as their inspiration. Why not have Jaffa helmets shaped like the Predator one, for example? Or a Jason mask? Or a George W. Bush one? Terror is terror, and a Goa'uld or his loyal Jaffa will build his reputation by his fierce looks and cruel actions, not by the details or accuracy of his divine backstory.

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update: I've not started drawing yet. I wanted to collect some research first. I want to today though. Or at least doodling. I'm going to start by doing the standard base, the shoulderpads, collar and plate that covers the wearer's real face on which to build all the actual helmets. I'll make that initial drawing available if anyone else wants to have a crack.

Discussion: I like Jason's explanation of absorbing Anubis' first prime, though, yes, in the movie universe, they were actually supposed to be the God's Horus and Anubis.

As for the gods the Goa'uld pretend to be, it's been sort of implied both ways in the series. I think the best explanation is that the belief already existed, and the Goa'uld pretended to be those gods. Then as the population increased, they created some more lesser gods. Consider this, though, that only the system lords would ultimitely need to be feared. A display of power, a horde of Jaffa, and a simple, "I am Jo'blow. I represent your God Ra. Bring me a turkey sandwich... NOW!" would still capitalize on that fear. They used the people's existing fear of the gods... something they already worshipped... to gain their obediance.

As time went on, the descendants of Earth would pass on the fear/obediance of the specific Goa'uld who had enslaved them. There wouldn't be a whole lot of need for them to be afraid of others. Until the pyramid ships and death gliders came, of course.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK. Here is a fairly simplified drawing based on the Horus Guard Helmet from SG-1 "Moebius".

-

Please note, this is FAR from 100% accurate. I left off the surface detailing so it can be filled in as you like.

The "frog eyes" on the sides are where the "feathers" of the Horus Guard helmet attached. I figure they can be used for other things on other helmets. The actual head attaches to the little nub sticing out between the frog eyes. I left a little axe-head shaped plane defined as a rough estimate of where the head will go. The little hasmark is the approximate eye level for whatever beastie is on the helmet.

If anyone wants a high res scan of this to print out and play with, PM me with your email addie. You'll have to be creative in your use of white out or Photoshop clean-up to add or get rid of the armature lines.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Ok... I'll triligize my post with the first rough version of the Vulture Guard, formerly in service to Isis, before she was all stuck in a jar and corpsified. I still need to add some surface detailing and ornamentation. I may go back and do that later.

-

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"did the Goa'uld make up the gods, or did they adopt gods created by the slaves of Earth?"

What bothers me about the idea that they're impersonating gods is that they seem to use the identities everywhere. Why would they know each other by the gods they're pretending to be? Did they have no identities before coming to Earth?

I think that perhaps some of what they used to control their slaves came from the mythology, and that the mythology adapted to the Goa'uld rather than the Goa'uld adapting to the mythology.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps