Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » New Jaffa Helmets (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: New Jaffa Helmets
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yu's symbol in Johnny's picture is more correct than the other though. What episode was that with Ramius and Tilgath?

Any ideas for Camulus and the hot Japanese Goa'uld?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Evolution, Part I". We see Ramius' corpse for a few seconds at the top of the episode before the Kull warrior comes in blasting.

I'm of the opinion that Camulus and Amaterasu were second-liner System Lords who rose to greater power via attrition if nothing else. Camulus is the Gaul god of war, and associated with Mars/Ares (also a System Lord), killed in the late part of season 8. Amaterasu is the Japanese Sun Goddess and central figure to the Shinto religion (also the *only* Goa'uld whose religion is still practiced - there's no Christian or Buddhist or Muslim Goa'uld, yes?). As a benevolent deity in Shinto, she may have had a very interesting time on Earth back in the day. Too bad she's dead now.

Dunno about their symbols, though. Perhaps a dragon for Amaterasu, and a big obelisk for Camulus? [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...(also the *only* Goa'uld whose religion is still practiced - there's no Christian or Buddhist or Muslim Goa'uld, yes?)..."

No, but there was a Hindu one.

And Sokar was apparently posing as Satan for a while.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sigh.
Doesn't everyone eventually though?

I think we should see a Goauld Jesus: his regeneration chamber could be a big crucifix.

Though, a Gouald Elijah would fit the bill better from a mythological point of view.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there any Japanese/Shinto people who are annoyed at SG1 for portraying their god as a power-mad (albeit sexy) alien overlord?

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they understood that the Goa'uld only took the persona of an existing cultural icon and didn't create the religion themselves, then they shouldn't be.
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shintoists don't have a 'god'...the general Japanese archetype for divine being is a 'kami' which doesn't really translate into English. "Divine being" is really the closest, but the first humans were kami as well.
Paladin181
Member # 833

- posted      Profile for Paladin181     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You also have to remember that when the Egyptians sealed the gate most of the world's religions wouldn't have been founded yet or would just be in the initial stages. Egyptian, Greek, Mesopotamian, and early Asian belief systems would be the major belief systems of the day. Islam, Christianity, Shinto, Buddhism, Hinduism, and the rest would all be "new" inventions. The one religion that would be around at the time but seems to have remained separated from the rest is Judaism, but that most likely is because of its unique monotheistic structure. The Jews would never accept a false god like Ra.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Yet as mentioned earlier HotAsianGoa'uld was a Shinto 'god'.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could translate kami as god or goddess if you wanted, depending on what exactly the being was. I mean, you could call a river kami a 'river god'...

As for Judaism, it would be interesting to see Goa'uld depicted as angels and/or demons in rabbinic or kabbalic scriptures... like, Lilith Adam's first wife who refused to be on the bottom during sex and so was banished and birthed a hundred demons a day yadda yadda...being a Goa'uld queen spawning 'demonic' Goa'uld parasites.

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, incidentally...

http://www.cheyenneme.com/products/concept.php

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Odysious
Member # 1180

- posted      Profile for Odysious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny:
Silly editing thingamybob...

Here it is, http://www.johnpearse.partsking.net/JaffaSym1.jpg

Can't remember who the artist was, but they posted it on Scifi-Meshes. Might've been that Resistance dude, or Reverend. I get them confused.

Johnny, those images were made by me.

--------------------
Odysious

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Where did you get Seth, Nirrti and Pyrus from??

--------------------

Odysious
Member # 1180

- posted      Profile for Odysious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pyrus and Nirrti I got off of http://www.stargatecaps.com/ Actually I got most from screen caps from that site.

Sorry, I don't remember the episodes.

For Seth, it is unknown if that is his actual symbole however it was used in the episode. It was seen on a flag of the Seth Cult.

Chevron26.com also has good references however some are a little inaccurate.

--------------------
Odysious

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Concerning the persona of the various Goa'uld and their relations to various Earth cultures... my guess concerning the timeline is that the various Goa'uld, at least in parts of the world where their persona were not 100% contemporary to the time that they ruled, may have somehow inspired their cultures to remember them in some way or another. Essentially, Amaterasu (the Shinto sun goddess) probably helped inspire the Shinto religion/philosophy, and now they remember her character without any knowledge of the original ruler.

For example, it's obvious that Sokar was the inspiration for Satan, but he couldn't have had any direct inspiration for any of the recent cults here on Earth. Therefore, all of the Earth cults' styling must have been passed down from the various memories and tales of Sokar's rule on Earth.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps