Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Sovereign-ish plea for help... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Sovereign-ish plea for help...
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES! That's it! *drool*
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
YES! That's it! *drool*

Very nice... but i'd take the phaser strips from utop the the nassels themselves (dont think there is enough room for the mechanism, plus its in vasinity of the warp coils....

but i could be wrong (i think TMP era nassels have phaser turrets at the extreme ends...)

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we've all done the "turn the saucer 90 degrees" thing, except in my case, & left the huge shuttlebay doors port & starboard for a nice big fly-through bay.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're the most phallic nacelles I've ever seen, but they're nice.

I like the idea of torpedo launchers in the nacelle rests, too. This ship would be a better match against Shinzon, perhaps. Though not if it is as sluggish as the 1701-D was against the Duras-sisters...

Teh PW
Member # 1203

quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
They're the most phallic nacelles I've ever seen, but they're nice.

I like the idea of torpedo launchers in the nacelle rests, too. This ship would be a better match against Shinzon, perhaps. Though not if it is as sluggish as the 1701-D was against the Duras-sisters...

oh Come! a Dreadnaught verses a BoP, regardless of its current size, should have won... getting hit in Engineering? crap! tilt, expose fresh armor and SHOT the fuck out of it....

*pants* [Embarrassed]

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but the turning rate we saw of the 1701-D in Generations (and the Galaxy-class vessel in that DS9-ep, firing at the cardassian weapon stations) wouldn't have been able to follow the reman warbird, methinks.
Not that it would've mattered, of course, as long as Shinzon still would've parked himself infront of it to gloat, getting set up for the deflowering.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOO! Thanks, all. I am freshly inspired to scribble. Shik, Shakaar, and Balaam? Thank you. It's nice to see what other minds come up with. I'll pay attention to which element(s) I steal from which drawing, that I may credit you properly. Shik? Go ahead and use the two nacelle designs you like for your own endeavours. I have enough to work with here without getting greedy.

Vorlon? That is indeed a gorgeous ship. I almost wish that was what we had in TNG... Again, I won't steal anything from such a thoroughly-developed design, but I wonder if I might incorporate it into the backstory of the design I'm working on?

As for the Enterprise vs. BoP debate. *sigh* There's nothing you can do when the writers are against you. They wanted to be rid of that model, and didn't give enough of a shit to let her go out well. By rights a single full volley of ten torpedoes would have done the trick nicely. Of course, if they'd bothered to take a look at Geordi's VISOR... *sigh*

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Nim
Member # 205

Indeed, I never gave that a second thought. I do however think that the letting go of the Galaxy class for the no.1 spot was a conscious decision, as it was a part of an older, more sluggish space-battle tradition.

My favorite example is the battle between Gowron's Vor'cha and the two Duras BoP:s in "Redemption". That had to go.
Ironically, the fastest I think we've ever seen the 1701-D go was in the very last episode, with the three-nacelle version charging the Voodiehs and passing through the wreckage of one. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Pensive's Wetness:
quote:
(dont think there is enough room for the mechanism, plus its in vasinity of the warp coils....
Just heighten the surface they're placed on, like on the USS Venture, problem solved.
The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the comments, everyone. It's been a LONG time since I've displayed the Frontier. I did some digging and found some more beauty shots I rendered several years ago (Jan 2001!). Hope you enjoy... Too bad I don't know where Fabio is anymore, giving this thing an update, or a fresh build would be kickass...

-
Beauty Shot 1
Beauty Shot 2
Beauty Shot 3
Beauty Shot 4
Beauty Shot 5
Beauty Shot 6

--------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Kosh: "Good."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, Note to Nitpickers: Pay no attention to the shadows cast by the phasers! They're apparently distant relatives of to Vader's and Obiwan's lightsabers fron ANH...

--------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."

Teh PW
Member # 1203

/me Drools [Smile] Me likes THAT pic, phaser shadows and all [Smile]

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After seeing Beauty Shot 1 - I think THIS should have been the Enterprise E!!

It fits PERFECTLY with the "Technology Unchained" Idea - and looks like a great mesh of a Galaxy and Intrepid and a Sovereign.

One bit I don't like - the bussard collector area - it's too... busy. Maybe more simplified - less little 'lines'.

Andrew

P.S. Maybe this could make a good Bradbury Class?

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah... Vradbury felt... smaller in the dialogue. I just got the impression that it was a testbed for condensed/miniaturised tech. I like to think she was where the bioneural gelpacks first saw service.

But that's just me.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what would make that way more awesome? Not being an inline image.

Also, the up-&-down pylons are seriously fucking up the lines.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Errr, yeah, I don't get it. You mean that from a rear profile the pylons are more of a U than a V? Because from the side they're anything but straight up and down. Why I'd go so far as to say they're pretty.

I don't think there's any getting around the fact that the Frontier is a really nice design and that this model is very well executed. Mmm, execution. I would have missed the phaser shadows probably (too busy loving the highlights off the specularity map), but now they've been called out, they do bother me.

Also I can't speak for any of the others Jonas, but I'll be very curious to see what you're working on when you're ready to show us. (C'est moi, Balaam Xumucane, only more abbreviated)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps