Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Most impressive spaceship (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Most impressive spaceship
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also Firefly wasn't on cable.
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't Fox cable anymore? Cuz...it was ten minutes ago...
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had no idea American TV was so uptight...says the Englishman.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, you've stumped me. But assuming I'm not missing a joke, FOX is a broadcast network, with its signal put out over the air.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I was so stumped that I got outreplied!
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I've had Fox on cable all the time. There are Fox broadcasting stations too, yeah, but I always assumed they were affiliates. Aren't restrictions on broadcast the same anyway?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, I was under the impression that as long as they put that little disclaimer in after commercial breaks, they can show anything anytime.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have cable, you get your local broadcast stations sent to your TV through the cable. But it's the exact same stuff that's being broadcast over the air. So the same rules are in effect.

And restrictions on broadcast television are far tighter than on cable. You get cable through a private contract between yourself and the cable company. If you don't like the programming, you can take it up with them. But broadcast TV is being sent through the air to everyone. Over frequencies doled out by the government. Thus, the FCC gets to decide what you can and cannot do on broadcast stations.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are currently five broadcast networks in the US: NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, and The CW. These are the ones that get sent over the airwaves in addition to other services (i.e. cable). So no, Fox is not a cable network.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Well, I've learned that I have absolutely no idea how TV works :-/
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry; if current programming is anything to go by, even TV executives have no idea how TV works.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reality shows are the pinnacle of television programming and no one watches science-fiction, right? I think that's how television works...

[Wink]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for Lurker Emeritus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only a few fictional spacecraft utilising cables as a major structural element come to mind (note that fictional includes designs that were never, or cannot currently, be built). One is Larry Niven's idea for the Protector's ship, with the reactor compartment strung out hundreds of metres ahead of the life support module. The other is the Valkyrie, details of which are available here:
Atomic Rocket - Valkyrie

I think there's something deeply impressive about this approach as well. After all, there's no reason why a spacecraft need be neatly contained within a single outer shell. Spacecraft don't have to tolerate the drag created by flying through an atmosphere, and under ideal conditions do not need to venture too close to a gravity well (one should use one's ground to orbit shuttle for that sort of thing), so they could just be a collection of interconnected modules in a spider web of cables, or a long piece of string with bits attached at intervals. I once doodled a rotating design with a central propulsion unit and habitation modules on cables that could be extended or retracted to vary the gravity experienced by the inhabitants.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps