Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Big Map (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Big Map
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
go here - its too big for the page: http://www.uq.net.au/~zzarayfi/galmap.gif

ok and the usual explanation
oh and I can create an animation version with the 'wormholes' on a different 'slide' if you want...

here is explanation of my map.

Alpha Beta Gamma and Delta Quadrants
3d
Actual arms of galaxy not shown

Sources, and points of reference.

*The Quadrant and placement of earth as being on the boundary from the Star Trek Encyclopaedia first edition.
*UFP large over 150 members Picard (Star Trek: First Contact)
*Closer to the Galactic Rim than the Galactic center/core. TOS
*Romulans and Klingons on the 'right side' of the UFP (STE)
*Cardassians and Talarians (Suddenly Human) on 'left'
*Romulus close to Vulcan (TOS)(Unification TNG)
*Romulan Star Empire Close to Earth (Earth/Romulan wars... needed to
be close enough for old warp ships (capable of a few sectors at most)
*Romulans 'known' before Klingons (TOS) (Earth/Romulan wars) Klingon First Contact was afterwards and with the UFP) (disastrous first contact)
*R.S.E. close to earth (Past Tense) in alternate future Defiant scanned for Federation, wasn't there the closest readings were coming from the Romulans occupying a usual 'heavily populated region' of the UFP the Rigel system.
*Planet Khitomer is on the boader between Romulans Klingons and UFP
*In Face of the Enemy - TNG The Commander of the Romulan ship said she was commended for winning a boarder skirmish against heavy klingon assult...
*Romulans next to Klingons... (Redemption II - tachyon detection grid)
*Klingons and Romulans in the Beta Quadrant
*Klingon Empire spills over into the Alpha Quadrant
*Klingon Empire needs to be close enough for
*Quark to get there with in a short period of time (House of Quark)
*The Klingon outposts in Firstborn TNG
*the klingons to enter the war against the dominion before the Romulans... Sisko said once the federation and klingon empire fall, the romulans will be next ??a line of site??
*The Klingons able to War with Cardassia and UFP i.e. at DS9 (Way of the Warrior)
*For the Klingon Empire 'to expand'
*Bajor near Cardassia (Emissary)
*Bashir to travel to Cardassia in the wire in a relatively short time
*Bajor close The Three Cardassian ships arriving in Emissary
*Dr. Bashir Travelling to Cardassia in a relatively short time to visit Enabrin Tain "The Wire"
*Wormhole in Bajor system
*Still be 'Deep Space' from a UFP perspective
*Ferenginar needs to be close enough to DS9
*for Quark to go back and forth with no effort at all
*For the Grand Nagus to visit DS9 readily
*for all those Ferengi to visit DS9 readily at the drop of a hat (The Nagus' supposed death) in (The Nagus)
*Far enough away to be a rumour to the Federation in "Encounter at Farpoint" (Deneb "Farpoint Station" the ferengi were just a rumour)
*Quark and his Bar were on DS9 well before the Cardassians left at least since TNG season 1
*The Xenkathi close enough (but far enough away) for the defiant to 'show the flag' in (The Adversary)
*Doesn't look like the Xenkathi and the Obsidian Order didn't get on too well (or at least Garak) (By Inferno's Light)
*Romulans have had relationships with the Cardassians for a while (Garak being a gardener at the Cardassian embassy on Romulus (Apocalypse Rising)
*Klaestron IV close enough to Cardassia. allies with Cardassia Odo went to Klaestron IV in a runabout and didn't take too long in 'Dax' Bashir went to a medical conference on Klaestron IV in 'Second Skin'
*Kataria close to DS9 for the Katarian woman friend of Quarks to visit intermittently
*Katarians tried to take over the federation - The Enterprise wasn't far away from being at El Adrel, and Romulan Space and Klingon Space (The Game)
*Cassidy Yates said that Cestus three was on the other side of the federation
*Earth has to be atleast a weeks travel from DS9 (Homefront/Paradise Lost)
*Klingon empire can't be THAT close - Martok's Fleet had had a long journey - "Way Of The Warrior"
*Talarians on DS9 - Garak mentioned to Bashir that they took their time eating
*DSk7 near Shermans planet - apparently near the klingons "Trials and Tribbleations"
*The TOS pilot "Where No Man Has Gone Before" took place at the galactic edge - next episode (stardate) near the First Federation the Galactic barrier must be a closer distance out from Earth than the cardassian
*Vulcans first contact with earth
*Vulcans and Romulans must be sort of close - descended Romulans left a VERY long time ago - probably not in very fast ships
*Yridians seem to be hovering near DS9 TNG - Birthright and The Chase
*Breen on the desert planet where the cardassian transport crashed "DS9" Indiscretion
*Enterprise near where the black cluster where the Breen were thought to have been near and destroyed a science vessel "Hero Worship"
*the 'disruptor wielders' i.e. the Klingons Romulans and the Breen seem to be close together - "Generations"
*according to (not cannon) the Ferengi book by Ira Behr Robert Wolfe the Ferengi bought Warp drive from the Breen - hinted at in "Little green men" and the Breen settled the polar areas of Ferenginar
*the Prometheus was in the Beta Quadrant on a Deep Space Assignment "Message in a Bottle" on the map from Astrometrics it was a fair way into the Beta Quadrant...
*galornen core on the romulan/fed neutral zone "Unification" "The Enemy"
*there is a (or there was a) DMZ between the cardassians and the federation
*Dopterians a distant cousin of the Ferengi - "The Forsaken" and "First Born"
*The Borg seem to have come through Romulan Space to get to wolf 359 which is 'behind' the UFP in the line of sight to the Delta Quadrant
so the borg cube must have swung around... we also saw in Neutral zone the there had been a borg scout? digging up neutral zone bases...
*wouldn't put the Cardassians on the exact other side of the UFP compared to KE and RSE and Ferenginar cause of what i've said above!

*Dominion in Gamma Quadrant
*The Wormhole Gamma Quadrant Terminus and The distance USS VOYAGER is away from the UFP is about the same.
*Cytherians live close to the Galactic Core. (The Nth Degree)
*The Barzan Wormhole oscillated across the Gamma and Delta Quadrants.

*Delta Quadrant
*Caretaker way out on the edge
*near Kazon/Vidiian/Talaxian/Haakonan
*nekrit expanse seems to be v.huge a sort of buffer between them and the Borg
*borg space about 10000 LY.s wide
*Borg on the Denkiri arm - "encyc."

This list is constantly expanding
If you'd like to add to it e-mail me
[email protected]

------------------
"All is full of love, all around you" - Bj�rk

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not bad. If you're using PSP, you might want to anti-alias yout lines. Also, rather thay showing the Barzan wormhole as a 'Y,' wouldn't it be better to show it as a curving wishbone shape? You could easily fit it in there. And I'm sure Voyager's got a little bit further than that. . .

And is it necessary to show Voyager's outbound route? It's just another line. It doesn't need to be there, really.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh! Aaah!

One nitpick: Shouldn't the years be 2366, 2371, and 2375; not 2266, 2271, and 2275?

------------------
This post will self destruct in 10 seconds

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melikes. Much.

The only thing I was going to bring up was what Fabrux brought up.

And is Krenim space 16,000 light-years across there?

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! This is about what I had in mind lately. It will take some time to check it out. There is a new theory Chris and me have been developing for the last few weeks...

------------------
Get your free signature at Ex Astris Scientia

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh... *likes*

I take it you're using the official 35,000 ly measurement.

And hey, at least it shows the Krenim Imperium. Most maps don't.

------------------
"Alright... Who wrote 'Beavis and Butthead rule' on the back of my skull?"

- Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek Parody, The Critic

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, there is one thing... "Barzan" is spelled wrong on the map.

------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, yes thankyou for the imput!

those dates! what was i thinking!?!
heh heh

OK, I will change these things...

oh and I did the 'lines in Adobe - so I might take it into ole PSP - they have a better line tool.

Andrew

------------------
"All is full of love, all around you" - Bj�rk

The First One
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, definitely. You can even keep it as a layered .PSP file and substitute or move lines as needed, merging it into a JPG for publication. But definitely lose Voyager's outward journey.
Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kicking map bro.
And me thinking that I was great that I noticed that Garak mentioned Tzenceth in 'By Inferno's Light'.

------------------
"So, no room for Bender, huh? Well I'll build my own lunar lander, with blackjack, and hookers.
In fact, who needs a lander, or blackjack?
Ah, screw the whole lot o' ya!"
-- Bender, Futurama.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

here is the corrected map:
http://www.uq.net.au/~zzarayfi/galmap1.gif

comments suggestions.

the explanations above still apply to this map.

------------------
"The story..." Londo says, "is not over yet. The story is never over."

The First One
Member # 35

Much better. 8)
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Malon space (at least their well-travelled space lanes) is much larger, unfortunately.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

That Malon problem is annoying - I haven't seen Jagganaut yet, but I have a theory that they may use small wormholes - to move about a large amount of space... simliar to "Night"

------------------
"The story..." Londo says, "is not over yet. The story is never over."

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

Much better, but why'd you make all of the lines blurry? Voyager's path home is especially bad. I liked the crisp lines from the first map better.

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps