Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Big Map (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Big Map
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that I can prove it, but the Tholians should be on the opposite side of the UFP, I think.

------------------
"It'd be a pity if every pencil on Earth suddenly collapsed in on itself and blew everything up."
-Krenim, TNO chat, September 30, 1999

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice.

This is based on information that is semi-canon at best and is mostly speculation, but I'd put the Tholians closer to the Ferengi Alliance, based on some comments in that "Legends of the Ferengi" book.

------------------
I do indeed and shall continue
Dispatch the shiftless man to points beyond
--
Soul Coughing

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the Tholians boarder the Klingons. - I COULD have put them between the Fed, Kling and Romulans as I usually do, but it would become too cluttered. plus. I think near the Gorn and the Klingons it makes much more sense TOS wise.

All of the info is from the episodes, or background info from Larry Nemecek.

There is no NO fanfic/novel semicanon stuff... - IF there is - I can only think of the Breen taking the icy moons of Ferenginar.

The blurry lines, well, I can't open my Adobe PSD file in PSP5 - so that nixed the idea of using Adobe to create fluid lines.

Does PSP 6 allow this?

maybe I'm doing something wrong. so I had to resort to the use of paths in Adobe to do the lines. (well the blurry lines)

yes they've been gaussian blurred and medianed.

Andrew

------------------
"The story..." Londo says, "is not over yet. The story is never over."

Chris
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations, AndrewR. This is a very beautiful map with lots of information (the most information on a complete galactic map I've ever seen, I must admit). However, I think there are still some improvements necessary.

I'm very happy that there's finally someone out there who's as interested in solving the annoying "How does the Star Trek galaxy look like" problem as me and seriously tries to collect all facts avaiable and creating a detailed, accurate map with it.

- It's an interesting point to place the Cardassian Union, Bajor and Ferenginar above the Federation to minimize the distance to the Beta quadrant empires. This would even explain why it's only 200 ly to the Klingon border (DS9 [104] Trials and Tribble-ations)
However, this contradicts with all the offical maps we know, because usually the Alpha quadrant powers are placed beyond the "Western" border of the Federation. I don't think it's a good idea to change this basic assumption. And you should consider that assuming this position, all these empires should have been known in the TOS era. Perhaps you could resize the Federation to a smaller diameter.
- Why are your quadrants irregular? I think they have to be placed symmetrically!
- You're position of the Voyager 2375 seems not to be right. Rick Sternbach gave me the information that it's only 1500 ly away from the Delta quadrant border.
Please take a look at my topic 'Voyager's journey' in this forum. Perhaps you can use this information.

I'm the creator of the most extensive and detailed Star Trek cartography web project in the internet and have investigated on this topic for several months. Therefore I suggest you visit this project and study it carefully - I'm sure you find information you can use.
Look especially for the size of the Federation and the Star Trek distances list I compiled.

Finally, I'm happy that the map of the Milky Way I posted to Bernd is used so effectively. Perhaps you should decrease the brightness a bit. Nevertheless, nice work with PSP5, I'm also using this great program for my maps.
BTW: this is a picture of the REAL Milky Way, so the arms are indeed the actual ones.

Admiring your skills on creating maps, your knowledge of Star Trek and your interest on cartography (not very popular, in the end), I hope we can chat a bit on this topic via e-mail. Perhaps you (or any other member of this forum) want to join my upcoming Federation Galactic Survey project.

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited October 08, 1999).]

IP: Logged
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soi Sternbach is saying Voyager is still a couple of years' journey short of the border? Hmm. I wonder if Krenim can factor this into his calculations. . . I reckon he should be able to, since his figures for a year's normal travel through the DQ were either the average or upper limits. . .
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny you should say that... I've been thinking about doing Parametric Equations v. 3.0, based on a bit of info from "Caretaker," which I saw recently. I still say the original distance was 70,000 ly, but Janeway says it will take 75 years to get home, which indicates Voyager was originally travelling less than 1000c, which was the major assumption of the first two versions of the equations. This might be enough to push Voyager back into the Delta Quadrant (v 2.0 says they are about a year's journey into the Beta Quadrant, so its possible). Unfortunately, with my busy college schedule, I don't know when I'll get started on v. 3.0, maybe this weekend if I have time.

P.S. Just in case you're wondering, v. 1.0 was based on the assumption that Earth was 32,500 ly from the galactic center, which has since been refuted by scientific evidence, and is impossible in the Star Trek universe based on simple geometry.

------------------
"Alright... Who wrote 'Beavis and Butthead rule' on the back of my skull?"

- Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek Parody, The Critic

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I base my Tholian assumption on the mention of an intense Tholian hatred of the Ferengi, which is hardly conclusive, but would seem to indicate some proximity.

Then again, it doesn't really matter that much. I do like that map a great deal.

------------------
I do indeed and shall continue
Dispatch the shiftless man to points beyond
--
Soul Coughing

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, about the western federation eastern federation thing... its hard - I think I've done about thirty maps trying to sort this out - some have been posted here before...

basically... unless the Cardassians, Klingons, Romulans can be displayed above or below the Federation effectively - to 'shorten the gap' - I've found that bringing them around the 'arc' of the federation is the only way.

OK the Cardies, could be along with the Ferengi a little bit further out... but Being such a big map - its hard...

I'll try and get my zoomed in map up.

Putting the Tholians Rommies, Klingons and Gorn close, allows us to assume the Enterprise in TOS could have visted these places easily... maybe exploration was confined to this area, or maybe it was these races actively pushing out their boarders like the Federation at this time, where as the Ferengi and the Cardassian hadn't gotten into full swing until later - i.e. the Cardassian Wars... 2350s...

Thanks for all your kind comments people - I'll keep trying to tweek the map for the better.

Andrew

P.S. oh the boundaries, were drawn with out a set square - they are not perpendicular with the screen they are turned around about 10�

and no they aren't EXACTLY perpendicular lines, but they're close enough.
------------------

[This message has been edited by AndrewR (edited October 09, 1999).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the reason I would place the Tholians on the opposite side of the Federation is because of that picture shown on Chris' page from "In the Hands of the Prophets". It all depends on whether or not you trust that...

------------------
"It'd be a pity if every pencil on Earth suddenly collapsed in on itself and blew everything up."
-Krenim, TNO chat, September 30, 1999

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

yeah, I know the map, it was originally in 'Conspiracy'
1. it wasn't ment to be seen THAT well.
2. it was done at a time when there wasn't much 'trek lore'
3. I don't like how the Ferengi are near the First Federation - when the Ferengi weren't even seen 100 years earlier.

4. I'll have another look at it - thank's to chris's page, and list its good and bad points.

Andrew

Oh, I think the Conspiracy one - I read somewhere was to depict all the planets the 1701 went to, and I think Okuda might have added the Ferengi, Cardassians and Trill etc. for Keiko's classroom.

Andrew

------------------

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shouldn't the Ferengi be on the left of the UFP and Cardassian's

Where's the Sheliak?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

ok, here is an idea for people who can't handle lines that aren't perpendicular to the screen - TURN THE PICTURE about 10 degrees, then the Ferengi and Cardies are on the LEFT, rommies and 'ons are on the right.

------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Obeys and turns the screen by 10 degrees*

------------------
Get your free signature at Ex Astris Scientia

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps