Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » A Dominion-War "Sinking of the Bismark" (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: A Dominion-War "Sinking of the Bismark"
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Prince Of Wales was indeed riding shotgun with the Hood at the battle, but was of the new "King George V" class. The Hood was an old "Admiral" class cruiser, the only ship of it's class.

I like your second idea. An Akira, more modern than an Excelsior but shorter, would fit the "Prince of Wales" role admirably. And those other ships you mention are good at being the proverbial cavalry.

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited September 15, 2000).]

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm nearly sure that the Ajax was involved in the chase and subsequent battle also. It survived the war and was decommissioned in the 60s.

------------------
Remember December '59
The howling wind and the driving rain,
Remember the gallant men who drowned
On the lifeboat, Mona was her name.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to add a USS Rodney, since the HMS Rodney is actually the ship credited with firing the final devastating blow to the Bismarck and sinking her.

------------------
Me: "Why don't you live in Hong Kong?"
Rachel Roberts: "Hong Kong? Nah. Oh, but we can live in China! Yeah, China has great Chinese food!"

(discussion with fellow classmate, 9/5/00)

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rodney? I thought it was Dorsetshire that was the final hit?

------------------
"What if, the next time someone tried to pull up a dandelion, it pulled back? What if the dandelion ducked under the blades of the lawnmower?" --Del

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well ... size is relative ...

Keep in mind that the Cardassian battlecruiser is TWICE as big as the largest ship the Federation has to throw at it, so even a Sovereign-Class starship is "smallish" to it ...

------------------
HowsaboutdemO's?

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff: Something for you.
http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/4273/

However, it appears that details on the final battle are not on that page.

Enjoy.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited September 18, 2000).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You da' man!

------------------
My roomate is a stupid, often-drunk, country-listening, non-cleaning, non-choring redneck ... kill him now ...

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Ok, this is my "rough" outline: I'd appreciate comments on it ... this also isn't complete yet, I really need some help/advice on the actual "hunt" ... I don't want to do an exact replica of what actually happened, but I need some good points of contention for the various Allied COs to get into ...

a) Captain DeSoto and the HOOD participate in an action which routs a larger force of Dominion ships. During which, the HOOD is severely damaged. DeSoto is subsequently informed that he is being promoted to the position of Commodore and being given command of an attack wing whose CO recently was killed. DeSoto petitions Adm. Weinstein of Ship Ops to rename the flagship, the Sovereign-Class QUEEN ANNE, and permission is granted to rename the ship the HOOD.

b) A Starfleet Intelligence satelite post recieves word from a covert agent that a new, heavily armored Cardassian battlecruiser has been launched. It is the largest ship in Cardassian inventory, nearly as big as a Romulan d'deridex-Class. It is outfitted in the latest in stealth technology outside of a cloaking device, and carries multiple torpedo and phaser launchers. Intell agent T'vo Kolear, a Tellerite civilian advisor, determines that the ship is going to try to sneak into Federation territory and attack a key starbase which serves as an "anchor" for the supply shipments sent to the front lines ... the two Klingon BOPs tracking the Cardie provide the key to this information, and the Klingon Command agrees to have the BOPs continue to track the Cardie ...

c) DeSoto's squadron is ordered to intercept the Cardassian ship and defeat her. Unfortunatly, most of DeSoto's ships are either under repair, or performing other duties they can not be pulled from. The HOOD and the KING GEORGE V intercept the Battlecruiser ... DeSoto underestimates the Cardies' manuverability, and the HOOD is quickly in serious trouble: port nacelle gone, multiple hull breaches. A lucky Cardie torp breaches the hull and hits Main Engineering, causing a matter/anti matter mix ... and the HOOD is gone. The KING GEORGE and her Captain, Cmmdr. Hamza El'Fahir retreat, "survival being the operative word here," El'Fahir decides...

d) Commander Michelle Dasz is preparing to accept a new commander aboard the SOVEREIGN-CLASS SEGUR when she recieves word that she has been "frocked" to the grade of Captain. Her mission briefing is quick: the HOOD is gone, and as many ships as Starfleet can scramble to sink the behometh Cardie are being gathered. The SEGUR is the most powerful ship that Starfleet can muster, and she will lead the hunt. Meanwhile, Cmdr. El'Fahir has refused orders to return to base for repairs, insisting that honor demand he do his part to destroy the Cardie. Also, Cpt. (I'll use of the names you guys suggested), of the Royal Andorian Defense Force (is Royal a good word?) has been tasked by the joint-Commander to track the Behometh as well, as is another Andorian, the captain of the Galaxy-Class ARK ROYAL.

------------------

"I know ... these things will kill me," Grayson said, extinguishing his cigarette as Duncan MacLeod approached.

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could suggest that Desoto was promoted based on courage and heroism during the battle in which the Hood is severely damaged.

The King George V should be an Akira class Battlecruiser. What could happen is the Cardie supership may go for the King George V first. Hood opts to take the opportunity to attack, but after several hits, she's in big trouble.

Keep in mind that during the actual battle between the Bismarck and the Hood, there was a second German ship in the battle, the Prinz Eugen. I would suggest tagging a Cardie Galor class or Keldon class cruiser to the supership.

Just a thought.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited September 28, 2000).]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems to me the Prinz Eugen was a new ship; I can't remember if it was also a new class, though.

------------------
"Incest! A game the whole family can play!"
-Jonah Rapp

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Good points, Tahna, thanks!

------------------
Jeff's Webcam
From the dawn of toys we came, living secretly among your cherished treasures, moving through the toy chests, until the time of the Gathering, when those who remain will battle for the prize. In the end, there can be only one ... LEGOLANDER!
Gore/Lieberman 2000

Saltah'na
Member # 33

JeffKarde: E-mail me your ICQ number. I can be reached at [email protected]. BTW: I prefer the name Pancho Villa over the King George V.

Fabrux: Read the link I gave to Jeff. It has all the details of the Bismarck.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited October 01, 2000).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I definitly will go back to "Pancho Villa" ... more ... flavor?

------------------
Jeff's Webcam
From the dawn of toys we came, living secretly among your cherished treasures, moving through the toy chests, until the time of the Gathering, when those who remain will battle for the prize. In the end, there can be only one ... LEGOLANDER!
Gore/Lieberman 2000

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

So, I've finally decided to work on writing this. It's going to be a "ST-GC" backstory and'll go up on the "Gamma Quad" webpage once "All The King's Men" (the two-part finale) is written. Obviously, if you remember this thread and have been following ST:GC, it'll flesh out (in addition to the above posts and all), how Michelle Dasz came to command the Segur at search a young age, and introduce her crew (who've been seen in cameos during ST:GC) and flesh them out a bit. With any luck, it'll be up in a few months.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ST:GQ.

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps