Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » A Dominion-War "Sinking of the Bismark" (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: A Dominion-War "Sinking of the Bismark"
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They will go up as fast as you write them....

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UM:

D'oh!!!!!!!!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JK: Could you perhaps create a new class of starship that is supposed to be larger than the Sovereign?

My thinking is this: The Hood was considered the Pride and Joy of the British Navy, given that it was perhaps the largest ship in the fleet, and perhaps the only ship of its class. Either the Hood should become a bigger ship than the Sovereign, or perhaps the Sovereign class ship Segur should be a Galaxy or Nebula or something else. It was really a fleet of smaller battleships and cruisers that sunk the actual Bismarck.

In your story, the Hood is defined as the pride of Starfleet. But I think that honour goes to the Ent-E.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, while the Enterprise-E is the pride of Starfleet, I don't think there's any reason that the Hood couldn't hold a somewhat equal role within Starfleet. Not to mention, that with the newness of the Sovereign-Class, just about all of these ships will undoubtably be "the pride of the fleet" so to speak.

Obviously, the reasons for why Starfleet's Hood and Great Britain's Hood being the Pride of the Fleet are different reasons. It could probably be argued that the Hood will be the only Sovereign-Class starship within the "sub" fleet (so to speak) of which DeSoto commands a detachment.

Now, I could make the Hood a Galaxy-Class starship, which is larger than the Sovereign-Class (as far as I know, anyway). But that might lose some of the impact, in that the Galaxy-Class is at least 10 years old at this point (anyone know for sure?) and the Sovereign-Class is fairly young off the production line -- and still in low enough numbers in service -- that the loss of just one will feel like so much more.

I don't know if you've read Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant or not, but Michelle Dasz and the Segur play a supporting role to Capt. Macy and the Tokyo. It's no coincidence that I'm featuring them in this story, it'll serve to flesh out some of the Segur's crew and the circumstances about how Dasz came to command the Segur ... and since this story will be posted to the ST:GQ website when it's finished ... argh, I'm off topic again.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a couple of points:

The Ajax was involved in the chase for the Graf Spee, not the Bismarck.

The Rodney (and the Nelson) were designed to be huge mega-death battleships, but were caught by the Versailles Treaty restrictions (i.e. too heavy). Rather than abandon their construction, the Navy ordered that they be 'shortened' - if you look at any pics you'll see a normally-proportioned ship from bow to superstructure, and very little aft of that. Weird ships to look at... Another useless fact: the Rodney bombarded the German positions on D-Day.

All right, class, history lesson over...

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It's so strange, how battleships can be so interesting, boytoyish and cool, and yet the worst invention of all time (save the A-bomb, it's not a vehichle).
To be aboard one must've made you so proud and patriotic during victories, but as soon as the tide turns and you're outnumbered, it's the worst fate imaginable, and incredible anguish ensues.
You know you won't get out of there alive, when the shells start to hit they won't stop coming until you're sunk. You know you would do the same to them when given the opportunity..."

- Me, just now, pondering.

*endsentimentaldose*

Sorry, I read four seawar-books in a row during the summer, including the hunt for bismarck, gory stuff...

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just looked at the site that I posted about the Bismarck. It appears that there are claims that the Germans actually scuttled the ship to avoid it from being captured by the Allies.

Self Destruct Sequence anyone?

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Indeed, "Sacred Vessels: The Cult of the Battleship and the Rise of the US Navy" by Robert L O'Connell is a good look at why battleships were so important for Naval warfare one hundred years ago and on, and why they're completely useless in modern Naval warfare.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tahna: Actually, the book that I read about the bismarck, written in -55, came to the same conclusion, since about a hundred shells and 10+ torpedoes didn't move it an inch, followed by it sinking rather fast later. It suggested hull-mounted directed explosives, at keypoints throughout the ship.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Nim
Member # 205

Oh, forgot about the motive. The book guessed that the germans didn't want the secrets of the Bismarck to fall into enemy hands, such as their outstanding armor and alloys.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Saltah'na
Member # 33

I don't think we heard of or seen the Hood during the DS9 years. Perhaps the ship could go boom sometime then and THEN Admiral DeSoto makes the new Hood his flagship.

So I'm picky. So sue Me.

------------------

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eclipse: Thanks - that was nettling me. Just couldn't be arsed to trawl through search engines finding out.

------------------
"Sack me!? I MADE the BBC!!"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

If anyone is interested, Star Trek - Hunter & The Prey in this forum is this story. I'm posting each chapter as I finish 'em. Enjoy.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps