Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » [Semi-OT] REAL Warship Bridges?

Author Topic: [Semi-OT] REAL Warship Bridges?
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone ever see any bridge blueprints of REAL modern battleships, aircraft carriers, and submarines? Especially online? I'm curious as to who REALLY gets to be on a bridge or TIC of a warship, and what they do. In particular, I'd like to know how it relates to the bridge stations and functions on a starship. Any ideas?

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can build two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No-one gets to be on the bridge of a submarine ... it gets flooded with water when the thing is submerged

Most modern naval ships are commanded from the C-I-C (Combat Information Center). Basicly, the TREK bridges are a combination of actually ship bridges (where the ship is steered, etc.) and the CIC (where the weapons are fired, and combat directed).

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In all modern naval movies I've seen, except for "Crimson Tide", everyone except the helmsmen and radar/sonar-operators is standing!! It looks so uncomfortable. They could learn something from Trek.

I'd like to see the bridge on the Ticonderoga-class. Although they're ugly as hell, they seem to be the largest cruisers in service.
*waits for yankee-heads to swell*

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may just be an urban legend passed from fan to fan, but I recall hearing that a few official types actually did make a trip or two down to look at the bridge of the Enterprise with the intention of incorporating one or two of its imaginary features into real command centers. (Not necessarily ones on ships.) Of course, for all I know the features they were looking to copy were the yeomans in short skirts with bottomless cups of good black coffee.

------------------
20th century, go to sleep.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Show no patience, tolerance, or restraint.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I read something about that in the Washington Post ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The E-D bridge and naval bridge connection is mentioned at the beginning or end of the ST:TNG tech manual I think. Either way, when I saw it, I believe it was a direct quote from Sternbach.

If you go to here: http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/ddg-51.htm
you'll see the DDG-51 class bridge. Since it's design was finalized prior to ST:TNG I doubt they had much influence, but due to the undoubtedly common concepts of bridge design (centralization, ease of use, etc.) they have some similarity.

Shipbuilder

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

That's a diagram of the C-I-C, not the bridge. The bridge is what makes the ship go, the C-I-C is where the ship is fought. On Navy ships, they are two completely different places with two completely different jobs.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jiminy jilickers! That's one HECK of a lot of information on naval vessels. I'm *so* bookmarking this - thanks!

Anyway, Karrde's right - you steer the ship from up top, but orders for that are likely given from the CIC. If that's the case, and the Captain's stuck below most of the time, just who's upstairs on the bridge? One guy with the wheel & throttle?

Mark

------------------

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

I've found a partial reply to my own question. Here's a diagram for the updating of the Ticonderoga-class cruiser bridge from the 1960s to the 1990s:
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/smartship-2.gif

In the 60s, there used to be 12 people on the bridge at general quarters on a Ticonderoga. Now, there's three! The CO and everyone else now occupy the CIC, leaving the bridge to the quartermaster, a lookout, and the officer of the deck.

This is *somewhat* paralleled on Star Trek. On the Enterprise, there was never any real crew change from day to night, or even shift to shift (hell, there's never really a show where there's nothing happening suring a bridge scene). There's upwards of a dozen people on a Connie bridge at any time (assuming all stations are manned, which they usually are, plus all the extras standing around for no reason whatsoever).

On the E-D, there's the Co, XO, Counsellor, Conn, Ops, Tactical, and an average of two people at the back stations (an average of eight). On the night shift, there's only someone at conn, ops, and tactical (from "Disaster" - Ro, O'Brien and Troi were not normally supposed to be there).

And on Voyager, there's the CO, XO, conn, ops, tac, eng and sci, all normally occupied, plus at least one person at the back. The night shift includes conn, ops, tactical, and Harry. Talk about make-work! He'd be completely superfluous on the E-D!

Mark

------------------

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it is a diagram of a Burke CIC, which is in effect what a starship "bridge" is. That was my point above. Starships don't have naval type bridges.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were there Ticonderogas back in the sixties? I thought they were an eighties product, built solely with Aegis and SPY-1 in mind.

Or is the sixties bridge a Spruance bridge? When were they first built? And do their interiors have any similarities to those of the Ticos?

Timo Saloniemi

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

The Spruance class was developed in the late sixties, early seventies with the first ship coming online in '75. Spruance class ships were primarily designed for surface and subsurface warfare and the Tico's, which came along in '83 were desinged primarily to conduct counter air operations. Both ships retain a multimission capability, but that was there primary design mission. The unique thing is that both ships are built on the same hull, with only the superstructure being different (due to SPY-1 system requirements). The basic layout may be similar but I doubt their CIC center is exactly alike due to mission requirements.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CG47 USS Ticonderoga
Authorized 1978
Builder Litton/Ingalls Shipbuilding
Laid Down 21 JAN 80
Launched 25 APR 81
Christened 16 MAY 81
Commisioned 22 JAN 83
SCB# 226

DD 963 USS Spruance
Authorized 1970
Builder Litton/Ingalls, Pascagula, Miss
Laid Down 1 NOV 72
Launched 10 NOV 73
Christened
Commisioned 20 SEP 75
SCB# 224

14th Ed. The Ships and Aircraft of the U.S. Fleet
N. Polmar

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them....

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps