Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » My Starship Design .. a work in progress (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: My Starship Design .. a work in progress
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had a starship design and name that I've been working on for over a year. Well working on constantly making modifications and so forth with the basic design staying the same.

Here's the final sketch:

Then I sent it off to a 3D artist.
First CGI
Second CGI Much more detail, but still needs much more work.
Third CGI With revisions made.
Fourth CGI Different view of saucer
Fifth CGI 99% perfect saucer, just forgot the to color in the aft transporter emitters. Also first pass at side view.
Sixth CGI A bit of detail added to engineering hull.

The current CGI. Still lacks the weapons pod and phaser strips on the nacelle pylons. The shape of the nacelles themself are a bit frelled, but I think he can fix it. They will also need to be a bit higher up.

Size wise, I wanted something close to scale with the Nebula or Galaxy-class. Everyone likes these tiny fast ships, I like the huge majestic ships myself. Although my ship looks a little closer to the Ambassador-class in terms of scale.

I have a 2-tier bridge layout I need to sketch and the Pioneer's Class 1 shuttle. I also like the blueish-white impulse engines seen on NX-Enterprise and the Prometheus-class.

It's meant to be a 25-th century ship with a new registry prefix system. I like how the Navy has prefixes for specific ships, CVN for carriers, DD for destroyers, etc. NXR stands for Federation Explorer and Research vessel.

[ October 26, 2001: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent work, Hobbes. This design strikes me as a blending of several Sovereign class and Intrepid class elements. The effect is a very nice looking starship. I can't wait to see the finished product!

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Hobbes
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pioneer Plaque

The stardate is a bit low, that's because I came up with my own system. I based it on a standard Federation year being 400 days. The first 3 numbers are the year day, second 2 numbers the year. 113th day of 2401.

The rest is pretty standard...

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Hobbes
Member # 138

More renders....

Ninth CGI

[ October 28, 2001: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

--------------------

Hobbes
Member # 138

The dark panels at the head of the bridge are holoprojectors used for holographic communications. You know how the stars zoom by at warp, well these panels would make a holographic projection of the stars heading towards. A high-tech 3D movie, without the funny glasses. The light lines are carpet pattern.

The stairs ... this is a two level bridge, the stairs are steep like on current Navy vessels. On the second level is the captain's office, like Sisko's, and various science stations along the wall. I'll have a sketch soon.

You may of noticed no ops stations. I've merged ops and communications into Systems. Which basically monitor the overall status of everything.

And of course the circles at the sides towards the back are turbolifts.

[ October 28, 2001: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

--------------------

Kalax
Member # 723

- posted      Profile for Kalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent Work! I really like. You seem to have a lot of talent. One thing about the Bridge, I accualy like how the 'Pit' is more of a broad, rounded of triange as opposed to a 360 circle. I don't know, just something about it, maybe cause it sort of draws tou to the viewscreen cause of the way it's pointed. Anyway, Good Work.
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice, Hobbes! I definetely like it as a blend between the Sovereign and Intrepid.

A couple things: In the last CGI posted, it seems the nacelles are quite short, much shorter than the previous drawings.

And it seems the two most important stations (Systems I and System II) on the bridge are the farthest back and quite a ways away from everything else. Maybe they should be closer to the captain?

Anyway, excellent work!

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Hobbes
Member # 138

I like the shorter-John Eaves style nacelles seen in his sketches for Insurrection http://thefsd.tripod.com/sttm/insurrection.html

I updated the CGI pic posted, the bridge section is much smaller to make the saucer look bigger.

Re: Sys1&2... perhaps, but I wanted an alcove like station seen on Voyager's Ops and Tac, but I couldn't fit it in closer to the captain. That and I wanted it to be it's own section of the bridge.

--------------------

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice, Hobbes. I like that bridge design. It's very simple, yet it has a very visually appealing scope. The latest render of the ship is extremely beautiful. I really like the hard, sharp look of the bussard ramscoops. There are a lot of interesting shapes on that ship. I love those pentagon escape pods. That is so cool. Excellent work!

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hot damn, I like that bridge! It's a little deep, though.. the CO might have to use intercom to relay orders to some of those stations, as he does not have direct LOS with some of them...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate you... I hate you... I hate you. Those are absolutly awesome drawings and I have no where near the artistic ability to do that kind of work no matter how much I want to. Again great work.

--------------------
The Poster formally known as Tec.

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you do that CG hobbes?!
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent ship Hobbes, loved the nacelle mounting placement
Paul

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Hobbes
Member # 138

[ November 03, 2001: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

--------------------

HappyTarget
Member # 670

- posted      Profile for HappyTarget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great looking ship! Love your bridge to. One minor nit pic though, your captain's chair seems to far away from the other stations IMHO. Makes the captain seem isolated and alone. Just my $0.02

--------------------
Jack O'Neal - I like their style. Shoot first, send flowers later.

Todd Flanders - Ow, my fricken ears!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps