Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Ships at Jupiter Station (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ships at Jupiter Station
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Yeager is the Intrepid saucer hooked to an outsize Maquis raider.
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree Aban, the Yeager is the nastiest of the lot.

Cheers Balaam, you flatter me. The image maps for the ships are created in Photoshop. For the saucer, it is simply one rectangular shaped image, with an aztec pattern which is then wrapped round the saucer on the Y axis, and repeated about 24 times (for the Nebulas). Those, and similar image maps for the rest of the hull are the only textures I used. All other details, insignia, registry text, lifeboats, windows etc, are all modelled elements. They always look better that way.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I like that Nebula class lineup there, Red Admiral. I agree with Balaam: those two topside nacelles are cute. That's some really great work.

And the pictures of the Curry model are fantastic! I've never much liked the ship, but your renditions of it much it beautiful, actually. It really looks like a cool little ship.

Balaam, you do some wonderful work as well. Those are all really good.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheers Seigfried, I'm still working on that proto-Nebula. It's 99% done, a few textures left on her to do. It's a model of this ship:

Thanks for the comments on the Curry as well. But my aversion to this model is only because it was lazily constructed. I used parts of my Miranda and Excelsior mesh. On the Curry's saucer it says USS Excelsior, NX - 2000 ! So it wasn't a serious attempt to build a Curry, just a background ship I've used in some fleet formation renders, and so forth.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Balaam Xumucane I can't access those links properly - it keeps saying "Failed codec download" or something

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
akb: You may need a more recent version of Quicktime. I believe these are both compressed using the free Sorenson codec you get with QuickTime Pro, so no fancy DiVX or anything.

Red, Siegfried: Aw, shucks. Thanks. I'm not that happy with this stuff, yet.

So, long ago I took a basic 3D class and we learned on an SGI running Alias (7?). It was great. Anyway it seems like ever since then, I've been trying to get back to something that good. It doesn't help that I'm mostly using a Mac. I've been trying to figure out a good program to do all the CG for my show with, trying out some different things:

The older free version of Strata (3.0) is kind of crappy, but it's got a wicked fast and very capable renderer (DOF, Motion Blur, etc). Everything you see there has been done with that free program. Take that however you want. (Don't get me wrong it's very powerful, but it's obvious they've cut out some good stuff and on complex models the interface gets very sluggish (the ship model with the filled hangar and all the Avatar fighters takes like 4 minutes just to open all the shaders)) Despite all this it's proven to be the easiest to use, fastest to render package I've tried. I'm debating getting the intermediate or pro package of the newer version.

Animation Master seems to do a whole lot (particles, dynamics, fur, smartskin, etc.), but the modeling interface is exceptionally quirky and the program crashes often. It also seems to get bogged down when you decide to use any of these more advanced features. The actual animation controls are very cool, but I really need to use my own models. There is an active user community, but aside from that, the manual is outtadate and incomplete. It's an extremely steep learning curve, and I haven't been getting very consistent results. It's a tad racy, but it's the best thing I've done in AM:this

I have tried an older version of Lightwave and it was obviously WAY over my head. I got some great results following a tutorial online, but didn't really learn much. It seemed really deep but I really needed to go through a manual or two. The version I had was crash-prone, and sluggish on my G4 (this should never happen, btw). Anyway, seeing the incredible stuff you've done with it, Red, I'm thinking about giving LW another try.

When I worked at a videogame company we were using some custom-made pluggins with 3D Studio (clever name, guys) to build our level info. This wasn't 3DS Max which I'm told is much better. Anyway, the program was impossibly bad. Insanely buggy and really really slow. Apparently the Brazil modeling/rendering system uses 3DS architecture. Now that's some impressive stuff.

MAYA sure looks impressive and they've certainly been hyping it enough, but it's WAY out of my price range and I hear the OS X version is buggy as all get out. (8 grand and buggy? I sense a vote of no confidence coming.)

Anyone here using/used Maxxon Cinema 4D? It looks good, but the trial version is so frelling castrated I can't tell.

[ December 11, 2001: Message edited by: Balaam Xumucane ]

[ December 11, 2001: Message edited by: Balaam Xumucane ]

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

You've certainly done really well with what you have, and that cloning pic looks awesome dude. Character/human modelling is very tricky, and it's a realm I've never entered. But I'd certainly give Lightwave a try if you can, but there are plus and minus points with both Lightwave and 3D Studio Max. I've played with 3DS, but I don't like it much, and besides, Lightwave has a superior rendering capability.

Maya etc are pro packages, and I think beyond me. LW does all that I want it to do, and for doing things from Trek ships, to photo-realistic interiors, it has all you need. So that's what I'd recommend.

There are many places on the web where you can follow LW tutorials for key basics, and if you are serious about giving it a try, let me know Balaam, I'll contact you privately and I'll point you in the right direction.

--------------------

The ASDB

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quicktime? Eh? It loaded up in Windows Media Player . . . huh?

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

bX
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
akb: Micro$oft is great... No seriously. They are great... For me to poop on. WiMP will valiantly establish itself as your default media program for a variety of different media which it does not recognize, does not have the codecs for or doesn't like. M$ solution? Why are you trying to look at stuff that isn't MPEG? Yeah. Thanks, guys.

Red: I would love to get some Lightwave links/pointers. Your stuff is in a very similar vein to what I'd be trying to do for the show. A bit more grime and I'd be all over it. It looks as though the glows on the nacelles (and deflectors and impulse ports) are throwing off a faint halo effect or bloom or atmospheric or something. Is that something in the rendering or perhaps modeled, or maybe post in Photoshop? It's a very nice effect however you've done it.

Incidentally the expanding fire ring in this animation is the only presentable thing I've done in Lightwave.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

bX
Member # 419

Hey Red,
I've been looking into possibly getting Lightwave. Anyway in my browsing I've run into some pretty impressive stuff. I ran across this Nebula. It kind of reminded me of the work of someone here:

I know you may not consider yourself a professional, but this is not that far beyond your own work. Now this is by Foundation Imaging. That's right, the very guys who do all the stuff for Trek at Paramount. They'd have a whole team of artists and modellers to make something like this. What you've done you've done on your own. Now more than ever, I truly believe that you could get work there on the strength of what you've got in your portfolio.

quote:

I got into 3D because more than anything else I wanted to build, and design starships, I have in one shape or another since a kid.

I hope to god that you have a really cool job that you love and that's why you're not going for it because otherwise, dude, you could have your dream job...

--------------------

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Dude, many thanks. I did have a really cool job before being laid off in October. The Job search has been going disappointingly, but right now I'm planning on lying low, having a chilled out Christmas, and then start seriously looking again in January.

I've seen this Nebula image before, and think it's some way beyond my skill, particularly in the field of texturing, which has never been my strongest point. I usually do simple metallic textures.

These guys have different and more advanced progs than Lightwave, and Lightwave is the only prog I know, and it's taken a couple of years to perfect that. I'm truly flattered I am, and hey, I would love to do it professionally, but even in the amateur 3D community I'm only at intermediate level. I often see stuff by guys like me that blow me away. In all honesty I'm no where near good enough, or knowledgable enough to do this professionally. But, like with any field in life I'm still learning. And if any vacancies came up at Foundation Imaging I'd probably send a CV, and a url for my portfolio. It wouldn't do any harm, nor I think would it do any good.

But thanks again greatly for the vote of confidence...!!

--------------------

The ASDB

bX
Member # 419

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Admiral:
I did have a really cool job before being laid off in October.

Ooh, man I'm sorry to bring up a sore subject. (Open mouth, insert foot).

quote:
I've seen this Nebula image before, and think it's some way beyond my skill, particularly in the field of texturing, which has never been my strongest point. I usually do simple metallic textures.

I am-not/have-not-been blowing smoke up your arse. You are very close to being this good. If you were to up the resolution and detail of your texture maps, you'd nearly be there. Take the model you've got now; Add 1,2,3,4,5 that I can see maybe 10 small point lights with some clear hemispheres; a couple more modelled greeblies and you are there. I even like your escape pods better. What you say is true, your texture maps could use a little work, but they are very good right now. So you practice that.

quote:
These guys have different and more advanced progs than Lightwave, and Lightwave is the only prog I know, and it's taken a couple of years to perfect that.

A lot of the more impressive (to me) stuff on the NewTek page was FI stuff. One would assume that means it's Lightwave. It might have a higher version number than yours, but I'll bet you can make whatever version you are running jump through all sorts of hoops. You could get to that level. They will recognize your talent.

quote:
I'm truly flattered I am, and hey, I would love to do it professionally, but even in the amateur 3D community I'm only at intermediate level. I often see stuff by guys like me that blow me away. In all honesty I'm no where near good enough, or knowledgable enough to do this professionally.

That's where I'd tend to disagree. I would tend to put you well above intermediate. (I know quite a bit about it myself) That specularity thing alone would bump you up a notch. It's true there are a lot of talented amateurs out there who have come up with some incredible stuff. Not all of them have a website filled with so many fantastic renders of such a wide variety of ships. To quote Swingers: "Dude, you are so money and you don't even know it."

quote:
...if any vacancies came up at Foundation Imaging I'd probably send a CV, and a url for my portfolio. It wouldn't do any harm, nor I think would it do any good.

Look, I hate to get all Good Will Hunting on you, but so many of us do wish we were as talented as you. I suppose I should be thankful for what I have got. It's just enough talent/skill to recognize the abilities in others. You have it though. You really could go all the way, and I'd hate to see you not realizing your potential. Especially if it's something you've always dreamed of doing. I don't why I'm pressing you to go for it. I should be recruiting you hard to come work on my show. Your talents are above that, though. You have what it takes. Maybe it's a couple of contract jobs, maybe you land a full-time position, but if I had half your abilities I'd be all over this.

--------------------

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

No worries, Balaam, getting laid off isn't now a sore subject, I've got something possibly lined up for March, which will mean relocating.

Yes, texturing has been a problem. I've always been I'd say 50% lazy, and 50% ignorant when it comes to Photoshop work with 3D textures. For me this chore is utterly laborious, and I usually end up making rather simple texturing schemes, possibly because I don't know how to make cooler ones. I try to stay as faithful to Trek canon as possible. When you see some of the real studio models not many of the ships are complexly detailed, other than a basic aztec pattern. But I do want to improve this area nevertheless.

I think I still have a long way to go to be as good as the pros, and I kid you not, I see a lot of other amateur stuff out there far better than what I can do.

Here's an example of some great modelling by a guy I really admire:
http://www.phoenix-archetypes.com/3dgallery5/lutherdiagc1.jpg

And this, by another modelling great:
http://www.zaon.com/promo/images/ZAON_Ships_Commercial_Starspinner_1.jpg

I really do appreciate all the praise I've had, but I'm realistic, I'm not being stupidly modest by saying I'm rubbish, but I know that there's a heck of big gap between where I am, and where the big boys are.

--------------------

The ASDB

bX
Member # 419

Wow. Wowy. Wow Wow. That Justin Winters stuff is really quite impressive. It looks as though he lifted some greeblies from the Millenium Falcon, but it sure is great looking. I'd often thought that space stuff rendered with Brazil would be cool. Every time I go back to look at his hardware page (Which I am very pleased he included), Steve Jobs gives me a dirty look.

I did wind up ordering the Pro version of Strata. Now that I'm a student again I was able to get it for US$200. It's pretty schweet. I haven't messed around with it too much but the fact that it takes advantage of the faster AltiVec processor in my G4 is very apparent, and I luv the Radiosity renderer.

Anyway, I'm sorry to ride you on something for which you obviously don't feel you're ready. I suppose I'm envious of your talents. Anyway, keep up the great work. I very much look forward to seeing more of your new stuff around here. (and to seeing your name in the credits of Enterprise next season... What? Oh. Sorry. No pressure.)

--------------------

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Red Admiral, I thought it was one of your images until I read the name of the post, BX is right about your stuff.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps