Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » The Connie Bashes - A Brief Summary (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The Connie Bashes - A Brief Summary
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(images are ~200 kb)

Larson
I've tried to make up for the crappy originial schematics. Some new detail on the pylons, most notably a couple of 'flush vents'.
Loknar
Same as the Larson: new details and a slightly more accurate schematic. Although I'm still not sure if the front view matches the other views.
Surya
Instead of G�nther's deflector dish, I've used Franz Joseph's design, because it's sleeker and simply better looking.

And the new ones:
Saladin (and Hermes)
Since FJ's phaser banks didn't really exist on the Enterprise model, there's no visible difference at all between the Hermes and the Saladin. Alternatively, I could make the destroyer Saladin a bit more 'shielded', with less windows and some added deflector grid lines.
Ptolemy + pod
Some extra detailing on the towing pad and the cargopod. I replaced the NCC-2xxxx registry of the pod to a registry similar to the U.S.S. Huron (TAS).
Federation (WIP)
A Work in Progress. There's a little problem with FJ's design in that he assumes the dish is a sensor, while 'modern' Trek says it's actually a deflector.
I've made an alternative secondary hull, which takes the shuttlebay back to where it belongs, and has a white 'sensor cluster' aft, instead of FJ's dish.

Any comments, nitpicks, rants or suggestions for future Connie bashes are welcome.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yum. Perhaps the best Schematics of these ships. Ever.
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Delicious. One day I'll get round to doing a Loknar mesh, and these will come in very handy. Nicw work.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Veddy nice, sah! My suggestions:

--There's no intercooler on the Larson. Suggest addition with same placement scheme as Saladin/Hermes.

--No, the bow & starbaord elevations of the Loknar stil dinnae match up. Fuck it.

--Next up...how about the Decatur prototpe concept from "Starship Design?"

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now you can see why I chose to re-design the Federation altogether, it has just too many strange quirks.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the meantime, I've had some fun making new pods.

Larson +intercooler
Good idea. A quick cut 'n' paste from the Saladin will sort that out.

Loknar +elevations +fuck
I'll wait for the 3D mesh and see which way the pylons bend and what the correct views are. In the meantime, I will indeed 'fuck it'.

Decatur
Yup. Had that one in mind too. Pretty cool ship actually, with a lot of custom components.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love that "shell" pod [Wink]
I tried something similar with the Kobayashi Maru, but it didn't turn our right.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know of a 3D model of the Lokanr. I can't recall seeing one. If it hasn't been done before that's special incentive for me to do it.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ARGH! Why can't you people understand? In TOS and TOS Movie Era ships, the dish is a sensor, not the deflector. You see those little things on the side and bottom of the secondary hull? Those are the deflectors. Those are what the Miranda has. The Miranda has deflectors, just no sensor dish.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

http://www.sfbnexus.com/Fasa/Fasa_gallery.htm
There is a Loknar model out there.

I've never heard of that theory before, Topher. Sounds very plausible though. How official is it?

It does fit with the fact that TNG and later ships have the majority of their sensors located just aft of the navigational deflector.

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the dish is the sensor. The little greeblie things on the sides of the secondary hull and on the bottom are the deflectors. That's why it's not such a big deal that the Miranda doesn't have a sensor dish. So, to reiterate:

-

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though I'm just pulling stuff out of the aether, here, I'm pretty sure that feature being a deflector is something Roddenberry came up with during TOS. So, a face with its tongue stuck out in a charming manner.

I think Jeffries labeled it as an antenna in his first drawings, which is what it looks like, anyway. Not here, of course, but originally.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, Topher? Then how come the Constellation Class doesn't have those little bubble greeblies? [Razz]

Nice artwork, Harry!

I've never really thought about it before, but maybe FJ was thinking of something like a combat fighter purpose for the Federation's original forward-facing shuttlebay? Of course, fighters and Trek is a whole different argument, but it might be a good explanation...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Okay, so that theory more or less holds up for the Connie and the Relaint (especially the Reliant), and it makes the Federation somewhat more sensical. But all other ships either have the blue glowing dish or no deflector at all.
Not to mention the NX-01, which certainly uses it's dish as a deflector.

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Regarding the Federation's forward shuttlebay: structurally it doesn't seem very sound. The neck attaches just above the empty shuttle hangar. Even ignoring all the problems with ODNs and assorted connections, the structural stresses on the neck-hull connection would probably require some stronger support.

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps