Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » The Connie Bashes - A Brief Summary (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The Connie Bashes - A Brief Summary
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Continuing good work. Great idea on the starliner logos, the possibilities are endless...

http://www.trekmania.net/art/ptolemy_coke.jpg

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahw. It only misses that annoying Santa Claus and an even more annoying jingle.

Mim: It is quite obvious that FJ's ship's are Connie bashes. How on Earth CAN'T they be!? He reuses his own inaccurate Constitution parts! So if his Connie schematic is wrong, all of them are. I'm sorry, but it's just illogical to suggest otherwise.

My intention was to clean up his schematics with the actual Constitution's shape. If you want to say his pencil drawings are more accurate than the actual studio model, that's fine with me, but I don't buy it.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, y'know, on the Connie studio model, there were no torp tubes either. Those two little things in the front of the bridge mound were windows.

The thing is, while FJ's depiction of the Connie is inaccurate to the model, the Hermes, Saladin, Ptolemy, and Federation have no model to be inconsistent with. Why assume that they too are "incorrect" when they're fine the way they are? Why ret-con them to simply be consistent with the Connie, when they are in fact separate ships? Contemporary, similar, but not necessarily identical in all their components. Their details are different from those of the Connie. They *do* have torpedo launchers and phaser mounts visible. What's wrong with that? Last time I checked, people were COMPLAINING about the fact that the Connie had no such discernable features. Why must this flaw apply to all TOS-era designs?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
The thing is, while FJ's depiction of the Connie is inaccurate to the model, the Hermes, Saladin, Ptolemy, and Federation have no model to be inconsistent with.

What do you mean, no model? They're made of Constitution parts. Ergo, they use the same design.

The last time I checked, the Nebula Class used the exact same phaser types, windows, and just about all the same features as the Enterprise-D model.

Now, the Saladin, Federation, and Ptolemy are all made of Constitution parts, then that means that they've got the same outfit styles... It would be highly illogical to say that the little dots that represent phaser banks aren't really there on the Constitution Class, but they ARE there on the Federation and the others.

It's a little principle called Occam's Razor. The simplest answer is most likely the correct one. We KNOW that the FJ details of the Constitution Class are inaccurate. Therefore, it stands to reason that the details on the other ships are inaccurate as well -- by that I mean that they have similar arrangements as the Constitution.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are VERY nice, Harry. Two things, though. On the side view, the rear part of the impulse deck seems a bit narrow. You have these tear-drop shaped thing that narrows almost to nothing at the rear. Another problem is similar to one I've been having with the lettering on the top of the hull. Because the dorsal primary hull mound on the side view doesn't extend far enough forward and rearward on most schematics, the positioning of the lettering doesn't match that on the top view.

Alan Sinclair recently (June 2002) posted his blueprints at this site. http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/wizardofflight/TOS1701.html

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
What do you mean, no model? They're made of Constitution parts. Ergo, they use the same design.

The last time I checked, the Nebula Class used the exact same phaser types, windows, and just about all the same features as the Enterprise-D model.

Now, the Saladin, Federation, and Ptolemy are all made of Constitution parts, then that means that they've got the same outfit styles... It would be highly illogical to say that the little dots that represent phaser banks aren't really there on the Constitution Class, but they ARE there on the Federation and the others.

It's a little principle called Occam's Razor. The simplest answer is most likely the correct one. We KNOW that the FJ details of the Constitution Class are inaccurate. Therefore, it stands to reason that the details on the other ships are inaccurate as well -- by that I mean that they have similar arrangements as the Constitution.

I must disagree. Whether or not the Connie has these details has no effect on whether the other ships do. There's no logic in excluding them simply for the purpose of making them identical to the Connie. They're unique ships, and even if you want to call them Connie kitbashes, there's no reason why their parts couldn't have been MODIFIED by Starfleet. They needn't be simply cut and pasted from the Connie. (Harry, I use that phrase figuratively, and by no means am implying that you drawings are cut and pasted.)

And, just to additionally clarify one of your statements, we KNOW that the FJ details of the Connie are inaccurate to particular VERSION of the ship, one of several known, which was seen in TOS. *His* version was also seen---as computer displays in later films/episodes.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

[double post]
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And even the original source of the FJ ship, namely his manual, insists that the "Constitution class" (or Class IX Heavy Cruiser) starships were produced in several time-separated batches. So it's not at all objectionable IMHO to take this as an implicit permission to treat FJ's NCC-1700 as a "variant" instead of a "poor representation of the original".

In any case, FJ's ships appeal to me in that they are less heavily armed than Kirk's vessel was. They only show two torpedo tubes (if any) against Kirk's six or more, and always a smaller number of phaser emitters than the TMP ship. This is good for preserving the "hero status" of Kirk's ride. I'd have more objections if Starfleet constructed a lowly Fleet tug out of the exact components of its top-of-the-line galactic exploration and domination supership...

Timo Saloniemi

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i believe that SotSF took the variant route as well, the book contained the first couple ships as representing variations shown in the series, then a separate design representing the variation shown in FJs book (especially the gridlines/incorrect bridge dome). there are a lot of different details that changed between 'the cage' and the models exhibition also.. the reason gridlines are always so evident in 70s interpretations is that the original E had no deflector grid, but one was drawn on by the model's refurbishors when it toured the country in the 70s. they are much less prominent, but still featured on the 'trials & tribbleations' E so we can conclude they were a minor feature that wasnt noticable during TOS
Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The only major differences: The Federation's saucer is made up of two lower halves of the Constitution saucer, and has a different secondary hull. The nacelles are still the same size, though.

You must have a different copy of the Manual than I do, then. In the one I have, the lower half of the Constitution saucer (and, therefore, Hermes, Saladin, and Ptolemy) is a single curve, concave up towards the rim. Not so for the Federation. Its saucer has a two-part curve; the outer portion is concave away from the rim, while the inner portion is concave towards it. Aside from the engines, the only part you really can claim is copied directly from the Connie is the dorsal.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Except the windows aren't the same. Or at least they weren't on the original miniture. They are the same on the CGI model. But that's just nitpicking.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how do you know theyre the same phaser types and whatnot.. did Okuda and Sternbach publish a Nebula-class technical manual that i missed or are you just assuming they are the same because they look similar?

For all we know the internal arrangement features are completely divergent from the Galaxy. this would be necessitated by the fact the a Nebula in real life isnt a kitbash, but built independantly using only parts of the same spaceframe. i can almost definitely see them requiring a lot of different interior tech than the Galaxy based on the fact they have less room and a different mission profile.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
And even the original source of the FJ ship, namely his manual, insists that the "Constitution class" (or Class IX Heavy Cruiser) starships were produced in several time-separated batches. So it's not at all objectionable IMHO to take this as an implicit permission to treat FJ's NCC-1700 as a "variant" instead of a "poor representation of the original".

Exactly. Even if the fandom interpretations of the variant/refit/subclass sequence from Ships of the Star Fleet, etc, aren't the precise way it really happened, it's obvious that there was some kind of progressive variation in the design of the Constitution class. This much is clearly evident from onscreen evidence.

Think about it: If there were three different versions ("The Cage," "Where No Man Has Gone Before," and the rest of the show) of the Connie in the time leading up to TOS, and there were later several major refit-configurations (TMP, TNG Brahms' desktop ship, and the DS9 TM ship) then why couldn't Joseph's version (or versions, considering the drawings in the Manual and his NCC-1700 blueprints are slightly different) fit in as well. After all, it too was seen onscreen in both the movies (TMP and TSFS) and in TNG. ("Datalore")

-FtK  -

P.S.

How about my new handle? [Smile]

[ August 27, 2002, 12:01: Message edited by: Felix the Kzin ]

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:

Oh god, here we go with the "variants of the Constitution Class" again... (Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine.)

I believe that there were, at most, two versions of the TOS-era Constitution. The TMP-refit would be the third. I don't pretend to be an expert on all of the various details of the TOS Enterprise, but I'm observant enough to know that we've seen different features on the same part of the ship in the SAME EPISODE, depending on which shot was (re)used. For example, there were the "vents" on the ends of the nacelles, that also were white balls depending on which shot was used. And I specifically recall noticing the larger deflector dish in some of the "regular" TOS episodes. (I can't give specific episodes though, sorry. My only source for TOS right now is the Sci-Fi Channel.)

I know that there were a large number of changes in the Enterprise model between "The Cage" and the other episodes. They shrank the bridge module into a smaller bulge, shrank the deflector dish (perhaps after "Where No Man Has Gone Before") and they added the white balls to the warp nacelles (also maybe after "WNMHGB").

There's also the line from "The Cage" which stated that the Enterprise's crew complement in 2254 was 203 -- a whole lot smaller than the 430 from the "regular" series. My conclusion is that there was a refit at the end of Pike's five-year mission(s), which gave the Enterprise (and perhaps the entire Constitution Class) a semi-major upgrade. Heck, we know from the TNG:TM that starships are on a regular refit cycle -- ten to twenty years. If the 1701 was launched in 2245, then a refit of 2264 or so (just before Kirk's five-year mission) would fit in perfectly.

But everyone has to remember that just about ALL of the effects shots in TOS were reused whenever possible. Therefore, it's problematic at best to try to apply various "variants" to the basic (TOS-era) Constitution Class design. (Heck, they came up with a relatively lame excuse about Romulans using Klingon ships just so they could re-use the D7 model one more time!) In fact, I'm pretty sure that the big deflector dish from the original version of the model was seen in throughout the TOS run, in the form of the effects shots in the opening credits sequence. Or at least through the first and second season.

See, the problem in my mind is that "Star Trek" is still a TV show, no matter how much we try to develop its background and characters. It's fine to try to develop rationalizations and explanations, but at some point you've got to consider the fact that this was a 1960's-era TV show that basically pioneered the modern space opera genre for television. Furthermore, you have to remember that TOS was filmed under a very tight budget, and often under the threat of cancellation. And most especially, the creators had no idea that their work would spawn a multi-billion-dollar franchise, five sequel series, ten movies, and fans like us who would perpetually analyze, discuss, and deconstruct the tiniest details regarding the arrangement of equipment on a studio model.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, there's a point where trying to rationalize things is pointless. But I guess that's an IMO. [Smile]
quote:
Originally posted by Woodside Kid:
quote:
The only major differences: The Federation's saucer is made up of two lower halves of the Constitution saucer, and has a different secondary hull. The nacelles are still the same size, though.

You must have a different copy of the Manual than I do, then. In the one I have, the lower half of the Constitution saucer (and, therefore, Hermes, Saladin, and Ptolemy) is a single curve, concave up towards the rim. Not so for the Federation. Its saucer has a two-part curve; the outer portion is concave away from the rim, while the inner portion is concave towards it. Aside from the engines, the only part you really can claim is copied directly from the Connie is the dorsal.
I stand corrected. You're right, it is a slightly modified saucer. In fact...

*opens his copy of the TOS:TM*

Oh jeez, I can't believe that I forgot this tidbit! About two years ago when I first got the TOS:TM, I was using it to gather the tech specs on the FJ designs, and first noticed the discrepancy. The Federation-class saucer is actually bigger than the Constitution-class saucer! Check the specs in the original book -- The width of the Federation is actually 140 meters, while the others are all 127 meters. This means that there's a larger diameter for the Federation saucer.

Harry, it looks like you've got to reproportion your schematics. Looking at the comparison images I've used on my chart (based on the length of 320 meters), your Federation saucer is the same diameter as the Connie's.
quote:
Originally posted by The Mike Who Would Be Captain:
how do you know theyre the same phaser types and whatnot.. did Okuda and Sternbach publish a Nebula-class technical manual that i missed or are you just assuming they are the same because they look similar?

For all we know the internal arrangement features are completely divergent from the Galaxy. this would be necessitated by the fact the a Nebula in real life isnt a kitbash, but built independantly using only parts of the same spaceframe. i can almost definitely see them requiring a lot of different interior tech than the Galaxy based on the fact they have less room and a different mission profile.[/QB]

You're right about the Nebula needing different configurations. However, my reasoning is that they've got a ton of space on that ship, and so they had the room to fit the Type 10 arrays. (Besides, the DS9:TM says Type 10 emitters, too.) I figured that if the saucer is essentially the same, and the phasers have an identical look, then they're probably of the same type.

Of course that's not proof in and of itself, so thanks for mentioning that. [Smile]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

The re-use of effects shots is just that: re-using shots. It DOES NOT MEAN that the ship "changed shape" or any other ridiculous idea. I suppose you believe the Enterprise-D also "changed shape" in TNG, whenever they switched between shots of the 2ft, 4ft, or 6ft models...

Of course, it is a different matter when a shot is being re-used TO REPRESENT ANOTHER SHIP, but this is by no means the case with the NCC-1701.

The Enterprise looked one way in "The Cage," another (quite similar) way in "Where No Man Has Gone Before," and still another way in the rest of the series. There is no real significance in the fact that episodes relied heavily on a set number of stock effects shots. The Enteprise never "really" altered in appearance from moment to moment.

-FtK  -

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps