Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Uh-oh (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Uh-oh
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Misohunt.
Xenon
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm only a little disappointed that SG-1 has been cancelled. Ten years for any SF tv series is a phenomenal run. Heck, ten years is an excellent run for any series, period. We've only gotten to the end of Season 9 here in Canada, but it's as good as it ever was. I'd rather see the series end after a good 10th season than after, say, a really crappy 12th or 13th season...

And Stargate Atlantis will continue to at least Season 4... word has it that at least one cast member from SG-1 will move to Atlantis.

IP: Logged
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would they need to?
The ony SG1 member without a SGA knock-off is Daniel Jackson...and while I'd love to see his character live in Atlantis (and bring Jackson's much needed sense of awe and wonder to the show) I doubt the actor is up for it.

Though this is the one chance for SGA to become it's own unique show instead of the West Coast Avengers of sci-fi.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know though, that contest to walk through the gate on both shows is something of a joke then.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
"A critically-challenged Australian has just uttered the name of the Site That Shall Not Be Named on a website! Quick, we must stop this!"

Critically-challenged!?!

Bah - just because I like to post incoherent feelings about things doesn't mean I'm critically challenged, it means i'm being half-arsed. Get it right.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love how SG1 gets cancelled after ten -- TEN! -- seasons, and people are immediately worried that BSG -- now going into it's third season -- will suddenly and immediately be cancelled.

For what it's worth, I think ten seasons might be considered a bit long in the tooth. I've never been a fan of SG1, but a lot of shows -- in my experience -- tend to go downhill the longer they're on air. I won't make judgements regarding SG1, but if BSG lasts for six or seven years (as there's no reason to expect it won't), I won't be heartbroken if it then gets the ax.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff, it isn't so bad when they end a show in a decent matter, but I always dislike it when they end a show without finishing the major arc that they are on.

Using FarScape as an example, ending it on a cliffhanger, then making a shitty movie as the ending was pathetic.

SG-1 could have had one more decent season to wrap things up.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed, they could just TELL them that this would be the last season, even behind the scenes, and then let them have the time to wrap it up. It's been noted that this it the first year that the actors and crew have had multi-year contracts since the fifth - since the move to Sci-Fi, the show has been as though they'd be cancelled at the end of each season. Now everyone's contracted through season eleven, and THEN they cut it.

Not a whole season, but give 'em at elast two TV-movies to close everything up. Four ideally, IMO.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, Peacekeeper Wars was most excellent. Shut your face, Ritten.

Multi-year contracts seem to mean nothing on scifi. Farscape was guaranteed to get a fifth season before being canceled after its fourth. What I'm wondering is WHY SG-1 is being canceled. They've said it's unrelated to the ratings.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because the Sci-Fi Channel is a penny-pinching mini-network with delusions of greatness. As big a fan as I am of the genre, and despite the critics' raves over Galactica, science fiction will never become mainstream television. Rather than make steady, reliable income, the Sci-Fi Channel would rather make a quick buck by ditching a long-term investment in favor of more shitty "Sci-Fi Originals." Oh yeah, and fifteen commercials for the same dreck every single hour.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After ten years I imagine the salaries must be staggering.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sci-fi may never become mainstream tv (except for, y'know, Lost), but it isn't like Sci-Fi is axing SG1 after its first season. The show ran for ten fucking seasons. It isn't like its getting the short changed.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Certainly not, Snay, but the reason I'm complaining is because, as has been stated, the producers had creative plans in place. A critical part of recurring (especially sci-fi) dramas these days is the ongoing story arc. Sci-Fi knows that. And yet they follow these policies anyway. It doesn't engender viewer trust. After all, how are they going to end up treating Galactica in a few years?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They've aired, what, all of five episodes? Six? Not exactly a stealth cancellation.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They should just give them Season 11 to wrap everything up.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps