Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ BSG "Occupation"/"Precipice" $$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: $$ BSG "Occupation"/"Precipice" $$
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I dont know...you'd assume that any ship that could land would become an instant shelter/housing unit.
Mismanagment aside, it's actually easier building from scratch than having to clean up tons of debris and re-build.

As to the whole "why bother to dress it up" nonsense, consider that the original BSG (which this is such an improvment on, riiiight?) had well thought out (for the era) designs.
Useing readily available vehicles is just lazy- a casual viewer (or new viewer) would never guess the story was not taking place on earth.
They'd probably think "Robots and Body-Snatchers invaded and took over."

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...a casual viewer (or new viewer) would never guess the story was not taking place on earth."

Well, the "casual" viewers should learn to pay better attention, and the new viewers should start at the beginning. You could make the same argument about, say, "Lost". Anyone who starts trying to watch it now without seeing the past two years will have no idea what's going on. Some shows are just meant to be watched in sequence from the beginning. If you want to watch a show that you can start at any random point you like, try a sitcom or something.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Useing readily available vehicles is just lazy- a casual viewer (or new viewer) would never guess the story was not taking place on earth.
They'd probably think "Robots and Body-Snatchers invaded and took over."

Lazy? Do you have any idea how much it would cost to fabricate credible vehicles from scratch, or even put shells on existing chassis?
Me neither, but it's money best spent on other things and so long as the vehicles fit in with the asthetic feel of the show, who cares?
I'm more interested in watching the show for the stories and characterisation, not inconsiquential details like having people wearing togas and helmets that looks like an egyptian head dress.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, lots of tasty stuff in that preview at the end. Looks like the Cylons are going to twig about the switch they pulled with Hera. Grrreat, more children in danger. . .

I mean, you know? It's like they're deliberately targeting my own little parental neurosis! Not only did they have the Tyrols' baby, but also a blonde curly-haired little moppet who looks so like my own daughter, it's scary. Who then falls down and hurts her head just like Lula did a coupla months ago (only, mercifully, without the extended period of unconsciousness and stay in an ICU. . . same amount of blood though)!

Anyway. Good to see the whole Cylon gang in residence, even a Simon there (for one line!). But no Leobens in that little going-round-the-table conclave. I wonder why?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Incidental aside. I think we missed a wedding somewhere. When Caprica-Sharon was sworn in, she was addressed as Sharon Agathon, rather than Valeri. Cool...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hell, we missed ALL the weddings! There was Lee/Dee (yeesh), there was Tyrol/Cally, there was Kara/Anders, Helo/Sharon... am I missing anyone?

As for Leoben in that little circle, I wonder if all the other Cylons realize that he's a psycho, too?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason --

Frankly, it sounds like you don't want to like Battlestar Galactica, and are using whatever you can to justify that. Which you're perfectly within your right to do, but I think you're missing out on the best sci-fi television show in the last twenty years because you don't like some of the set dressings.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"As for Leoben in that little circle, I wonder if all the other Cylons realize that he's a psycho, too?"

Well, one of him is.

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting that Harvey-Six only appears when original-Baltar-Six (called Caprica, did I hear that right?) isn't around (because she's back on Caprica, originally, and now had her brains blown out). Obviously they spent a lot of time together during the past four months, I wonder if they ever discussed their respective hallucinations/manifestations. . ? Probably not.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

The Six personality that was with Baltar on Caprica is, indeed, called "Caprica Six" by her fellows. That was something they started last year.
Lee
Member # 393

I swear, it's getting as hard to keep track as it is to get all the various minor mobsters straight in The Sopranos. . . Originally you had Baltar-Six aka Harvey-Six who was contiguous with original-Caprica-nuclear-explosion-in-the-face-Six, plus Caprica-Six (-es, various, the ones we saw on Occupied Caprica, being shot by Boomer to fool Helo, picking fights with Starbuck, etc.) as well as Shelley-Godfrey-Six and Gina-Six. Now, Baltar-Six is Caprica-Six and also somehow affiliated with Harvey-Six, and there are also New-Caprica-Sixes various.

Meanwhile, Galactica-Boomer is now on (New) Caprica, while Caprica-Boomer is now on Galactica! And has also just gone to New Caprica as well! It's getting worse than that chart in The L-Word!

Question: do we really think the Cylons have successfully created a hybrid, or is Casey just a ruse? Because surely if they can create hybrids, then Hera becomes less important (unless their ultimate holy grail is a non-in-vitro-tank-grown hybrid)?

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, we only assumed that Baltar's imaginary Six was contiguous with the one he knew for a year or two back on Caprica, when it turns out that she doesn't appear to be a Cylon of any sort.

I worry a little that the nature of Cylon identity, which is currently very fluid and alien and high concept, is going to get pushed aside or watered down. (Or, really, maybe I am just worried it will not turn out the way I imagine it ought to.)

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too FWIW. I guess I'm getting a little sick of this compulsive fixation the Cylons have with humans without at least a little more explanation about why or how this is. Like, f'rinstance, what compels Leoben to get recycled 5 times in order to make Starbuck his ladyfriend in his private crazy min/max security compound. Is it fatherhood? Because I wasn't getting fatherhood. Is it madness? That's so boring. I think around the second or third time I got stabbed in the throat with a fork I'd start to realize that maybe she isn't just playing hard-to-get.

Basically in order for him to be (or possibly be) an evil, philosiphizing bad-guy, I need to know he really does have a nefarious plan (without necessarily knowing what it is) because otherwise yeah it's sort of annoying to have to watch Kara cry over her maybe daughter when I could be watching Roslin (I think it was Joss Whedon who called her President Stands With Fist) be ice-water veined/naive optimist lady about terrorism.

Like MinutiaeMan, I'm also having some general issues with the internal dynamics of Cylon politics. We go from lambasting Caprica Six for her being part of the first Cylon on Cylon violence to shooting her in the head. Where I'd sort of had the impression that the other skin-jobs (from Bladerunner n'est pas?) looked to her for leadership or wisdom or something. Anyway forcing Baltar to sign the death warrants is a very cool thing and not only because, hey, multiple Tricia Helfers (imaginary and otherwise), Grace Parks and Lucy Lawlesses.

I do REALLY like Dean Stockwell, he is terrific in this. His manipulation of Ellen Tigh is nice and his nihilistic priest thing is always fun. Plus dude knows how to work a hat.

I still have a hard time believing that the humans made so little progress in their year and a half on New Caprica. Did those trees in the canyon in which the raptors landed grown since planetfall? Because humans are pretty good at turning trees into all sorts of things, even with primitive tools never mind humans with lasers and space-ships.

So despite the above whingings, I did enjoy this two-parter. I guess maybe I'd built it up too much. The in your face, on the nose Iraq stuff was distracting in much the same way as the abortion issue was earlier in the season and were a general let-down for me. Still, a frakkin' good show.

Lee
Member # 393

It's true, why would they choose to build a tent-city on a blasted heath when you had nice woods and leafy dales and streams within walking distance? The Cylonms building themselves a nice block of Condos-cum-prisons I can buy (gotta use all that Centurion labour for something), but staying living on a shitty plain because it's right next to the parked ships? Nah.

Also, how do the Cylons define violence? Because we saw Helo's Boomer shoot a Six on Caprica in order to make him think she was the, er, real Boomer. Didn't look faked (I know, it obviously was since Tricia Helfer is demonstrably still with us, but you know what I mean). Or was it OK because the Six getting shot was part of the plan and she'd have agreed to it?

And, yes, the Cylons need to get with the program, their Plan. The whole "alien/post-Singularity AI/whatever are all too human in their wants and desires" thing is neither new nor interesting.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
re Leoben, I'm prepared to accept that he wants what he says he wants, which is for Kara to love him, for religious or metaphysical reasons, and that the Cylons have a unique understanding of love.

As for the kid, assuming it isn't a ruse, they have had a year to explore other reproductive methods, and so Sharon's child might not be important for the same reasons she (he?) was. On the other hand, surely Casey's apparent age doesn't work at all with Leoben's story? Say she's conceived right after Starbuck leaves Caprica. Does season two last much longer than nine months? (Though how long was Sharon pregnant?) Then sixteen more months pass, and I am not good at guessing ages, but isn't she closer to three, maybe?

So anyway something more seems to be up, or I am misjudging how long season two was.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps