Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ BSG "Occupation"/"Precipice" $$ (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: $$ BSG "Occupation"/"Precipice" $$
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a fat suit. One of the videos that was on the SciFi website was a behind-the-scenes look at the makeup process for Fat Apollo.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you use prosthetics for his face since it did seem fatter?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
Jason --

Frankly, it sounds like you don't want to like Battlestar Galactica, and are using whatever you can to justify that. Which you're perfectly within your right to do, but I think you're missing out on the best sci-fi television show in the last twenty years because you don't like some of the set dressings.

Not at all- in fact, the exact opposite.
I really wanted to see that I had been "missing out" as everyone has been saying.
Stargate's a looong ways off and nothing else is remotely intresting just now).

But if I was disapointed in the miniseries, I was blown away at the lack of caring about visual story dynamics.
Might as well have Starbuck wearing a Gap shirt and Nike's from what Reverend says about how it's all "better spent on the story".
Consider that even the zero-budget weekly "sci-fi Presents movies" take more care in props and vehicles.
I really think it shows the producers of such shows that they can get away with far less than ever before and that we're likely to see a decline in overall quality from producers if that's their attitude.

But then, maybe such total lack of concern only bothers people when they're used to a higher level of visuals- I sure have seen people here bitch about anything re-used in Trek, but BSG somehow manages a complete slide...

Amazing how defensive people get over this show. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I can see your point Jason, I think your being a bit closed minded. In Sci-fi, aren't you supposed to suspend belief? If you can believe in a world where people fly around in starships with pointed-ear aliens, can't you believe in a world where spacecraft are commonplace in a world where people still use fossil-fueled power vehicles.

If so, then you can be one of us BSG fans.

One of us
One of us
One of us...

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, are you saying the visual effects suck? You mean the ships, the FTL jumps, the Centurions...? I guess it's just a difference in style preferences, because the shaky and off-focus look is deliberately done, to emulate the "the photographer was really there" documentary appearance.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, all the CGI stuff is incredible- I think that'sall top notch.
It's all the glaring (to me) lack of props that bugs me to distraction- from army trucks to Hummvees to the .45 and 9mm pistols.

Dont talk to me about costs here- a plastic casing for a handgun would cost less than a dollar (prahaps $10 for the vac-form master and paint).
Even Stargate (which is free to draw on real-world weapons) goes the exta mile for the "high-tech" look. If BSG's goal ws to go "low-tech", then break out some old sci-fi props and go retro (pneumatic gun would rock).

Fuck, even if they re-used stuff from "B" sci-fi movies, I'd be happy- at least then I really could "suspend my disbelief" that think of the show as being space-based.

Pointy-eared humanoids I can (mostly) take, if you can see commercials for the very vehicles shown on BSG (during the breaks), it's pretty bad.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that's ridiculous.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason --

But the producers don't want the show to look foreign. That's why characters eat apples, as opposed to neon-blue pears. This is a familiar world, a sister-culture that has developed very similarly to us.

As for your point about the handguns ... we've seen two military-issue. One looks like a regular semi-auto with an extra toy underneath the barrel -- that's an "explosive bullet" firing mechanism (think a grenade launcher underslung on a rifle). The pilot's sidearm is only in shape close to a handgun you might actually find in a store.

I don't see commericals for Colonial Vipers on TV!

Did it ever occur to you that people get defensive because it seems you judge the show on the props as opposed to the qualities it should be judged on? The writing and acting?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strangely enough, they do seem to have gone backwards in the pistol dept., from a plastic shell covering a revolver (giving a Bladerunnerish look) to just having a FN Five-seveN with a plastic greebly stuck underneath. And it does seem to be a retcon - people who had the shell-revolvers suddenly had the semi-autos.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Even Stargate (which is free to draw on real-world weapons) goes the exta mile for the "high-tech" look.
Which is why they use the Tapwave Zodiac for all their sensor and virus-cure-carrying needs.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Might as well have Starbuck wearing a Gap shirt and Nike's from what Reverend says about how it's all "better spent on the story".

I don't recall saying that. Just that fake vehicles aren't worth the expense.
Clearly they are spending tons on visual effects, the Centurions (that ironically enough look more real than the old costumed ones) space suits, full size mockups of Vipers, Raiders & Raptors, not to mention the logistics involved in making a tent city populated by hundreds of extras and the digital backdrops to sell the scale of it all.

Really Jason, it sounds like you're looking for something to complain about.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
No, all the CGI stuff is incredible- I think that'sall top notch.
It's all the glaring (to me) lack of props that bugs me to distraction- from army trucks to Hummvees to the .45 and 9mm pistols.

Dont talk to me about costs here- a plastic casing for a handgun would cost less than a dollar (prahaps $10 for the vac-form master and paint).
Even Stargate (which is free to draw on real-world weapons) goes the exta mile for the "high-tech" look. If BSG's goal ws to go "low-tech", then break out some old sci-fi props and go retro (pneumatic gun would rock).

Fuck, even if they re-used stuff from "B" sci-fi movies, I'd be happy- at least then I really could "suspend my disbelief" that think of the show as being space-based.

Pointy-eared humanoids I can (mostly) take, if you can see commercials for the very vehicles shown on BSG (during the breaks), it's pretty bad.

Yeah, but then the show would look cheesey and it would be harder to take it more seriously.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I'm just giving you my own POV- I'm not bashing it- there's solid acting (at least by Stockwell) and the CGI is nice....
I just dont "buy" it.
Part of my brain is always expecting it to all be on earth- everyone and everything is just "today's world" for me to think of it as being a bunch of humans removed for (minmum) thousands of years.

For the record I've watched this episode almost three times now trying to see only what everyone's so thrilled about.

Again, I'm not dismissing out of hand- I might in fact buy some of the incredible ship models being made from this- but it's tough for me to compare this against shows where a lot of effort is spent of visual storytelling (like DS9, Farscape or even the old BSG) and favorably compare this to it.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems like the perfect place to post this:
http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/video/index.php?cat=features&vid=35344
[Razz] [Big Grin]

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Lol! That was good. Though, why does Baltar have the English accent?
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps