Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » SG1 "Endless" [SERIES FINALE SPOILERS] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: SG1 "Endless" [SERIES FINALE SPOILERS]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Placeholder for the final TV episode of the longest regularly-running American Sci-Fi series. Tonight, SG-1 and company attempt to paralyze the entire Ori fleet with the help of an Asgard time dilation device.

The episode is not a cliffhanger, but has ened up being the de facto ender. We'll see how it pans out!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the 30-second trailer from Youtube. Minor spoilers included:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nan7NHRyEcw

Whatever SG-1 is doing, one wonders why Landry has centre seat on the Odyssey. Did they leave in a hurry? usually they put the CO in a jumpsuit... Shouldn't he at least be wearing his bomber jacket?

Mark

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched it last night, and you know what? I can't bring myself to spoil it. It's one worth waiting for.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

I'm having trouble too. For an unplanned series ender, it's perhaps the most appropriate, well-done series ender I can think of since "All Good Things...". Wonderful character piece, with tons of arc developments and giant space battles to boot.

I *will* get around to it... It'll just take a while for the emotional impact to settle in.

Mark

--------------------

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh that was clever, realy clever.

And Mark, you're dead right, it's up there with AGT.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its "Unending", not "Endless" [Wink]

And man, that was an awesome episode. I was teary at the end. [Frown]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did we really like it that much? I don't think I did. The season-ender where Vala sacrifices herself to blow up the super-gate was cooler and in my opinion, had higher emotional stakes. Was this sprung on them out of the blue that the season could be over? Did they have a couple more eps planned and then plugs pulled to make the movies?

I was looking for some sort of punctuation for the series end. This wasn't even a comma. There were some things I liked, but it didn't end the series for me. It was, I felt a good mid-series episode with a corn-ball ending tacked on replete with a parade of (ironic?) clich�s.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't call it mindblowing or anything. There's no great apocolyptic showdown or galaxy wide conflagration, as some might wish for. However given the relative short notice I imagine they had to make this a show ender and the fact they had to cram it into a single episode instead of the traditional two parter, I think they did very well and it was a very nice character piece. Shanks especially got to stretch his acting legs with an outburst that I don't think we've ever seen coming from Daniel in 10 years!

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

He was very entertainingly angry a few weeks ago when he blew up at the hostages SG-1 took in "Bad Guys". [Smile]

Mark

--------------------

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess maybe I never got the full scoop on what happened at the end here. I mean with the cancellation and now there will be movie(s). Anyone care to summarize?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The show had just finished airing the first half of the season. It was the mid-season break and they were filming the second half. The word came down from on high that an eleventh season wasn't ordered and SG-1 was cancelled. There was a search by the producers of the show to get either an eleventh season with another network, big screen movie(s), or TV movies. No other network seemed to want to take on SG-1; either that or Sci-Fi stepped in first and said that it would greenlight two direct to DVD movies with the potential to be aired sometime.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard that sci-fi actually stepped in and PREVENTED them from going to any other network.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Don't forget that a THIRD Stargate series is in the works...

Mark

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well after 3 months sitting on my harddrive - I finally watched "Unending".

Wonderful.

I was a bit upset to see bx not liking it - I don't know why - it's his opinion - but I just would think - who could not like this as an ending to a series. It was character driven not explosion-based. It was brilliant. They all had their acting moments. It was subtle, yet devastating. It does Indeed rank up there with All Good Things... and it's not a SAD (for the fans) ending - because as much as I stopped myself from watching it cause it was the last SG1 ever - I'm glad I finally watched it - it was just another episode, y'know - but it summed things up nicely - maybe not plot lines etc but it showed SG-1 as a family. I loved the scenes around the table.

I *ADORED* the look on Sam's face when she replicated the Cello - brilliant. I was generally shocked that it took them so long to accomplish the task. When we saw them all old - I mean firstly General Landry but then all of them.

I really loved the effect seeing Carter play the cellow through the window outside of the ship.

I wonder what Daniel DID find in the Asgard databanks - could he not have given a piece of paper to Teal'c to take back with some of the more important points?

One thing they sort of did away with the Asgard pretty quickly - we know they were on the way out - but it was like "see-ya" BOOM! Couldn't they have at least attacked the Ori Vessels before self-destructing? Does ANYONE think there is ANY chance that they haven't REALLY gone - maybe hiding like the Nox? POSSIBLY the Ancients help them to Ascend?? They did say that they didn't have the physiology to Ascend and that they preferred to extend their life through artificial means - but I presume that the Ancients did that themselves with all their medical technology?

Will Teal'c be affected in combat now - I mean Bra'tac can still fight with the best of them.

I really was touched by this episode. It ended nicely - I rather liked the 'sayings'. The full cast 'indeed' was a touch corny - but really great. I find myself saying that sometimes anyway! [Smile]

I also liked it because it was a sense of "off into the sunset" on another mission at the end... like it's not really an END per se, and we all know there will be the movies.

Thankyou Stargate SG-1 I've loved every minute of your show. Wow - 10 years went by so quickly!

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Does ANYONE think there is ANY chance that they haven't REALLY gone - maybe hiding like the Nox?

I'm hoping that somewhere hidden in all that data the Asgard left behind are at least a few Asgard minds, sort of an insurance policy should the Tauri ever work out an answer (we can, after all, think outside the box in a way the Asgard simply can't). I'd hope the Asgard would have had the sense to leave the minds of a few of themselves there so that sometime in the future they could be reborn...they never struck me as a species that would simply give up.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps