Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » River Tam is BACK! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: River Tam is BACK!
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure allot of you had a similar reaction as I did when I first heard they were making a TV show called "The Sarah Connor Chronicles".
The reaction being "Oh Dear, is that screeching the sound of the bottom of the barrel being scraped clean of the last remaining dregs of originality?"

But then I saw this on trusty YouTube and you know what? It doesn't look half as bad as the title might suggest.
If you're wondering what this has to do with the thread title, just watch the clip. You'll get it.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, but I don't like it. To be honest I'm tired of movies(and now TV shows)rehashing previous ideas. Besides, we've seen and a female terminator before.
HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I might watch this just because Summer Glau's in it. *drool*

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based on the strength of the trailer I'm defiantly going to check out the pilot. Of course trailers can lie and show can get better or worse as they progress but I think this one deserves a chance.
Granted it's not even close to an original concept, but then neither was Stargate SG1, and look how that turned out.
You might include Buffy in that category too, I'm not sure if it counts if the same bloke is behind both incarnations.

quote:
Besides, we've seen and a female terminator before.
And? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the first female Terminator was much hotter!
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that this looks interesting. I'm going to give it a shot.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any hope of them overwriting the last movie? That was just too depressing for me.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Well from the looks of things it's a time travel show, so quite possibly.

For the record, I LIKED the ending of T3. It was the only thing about the film that was surprising.

[ June 04, 2007, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will probably check this out, even though I've never seen any of the "Terminator" movies. Because Summer Glau is HOT.

I just gotta say, though, that the line, "Come with me if you want to live!" is SUCH a fucking awful clich�.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
**spoiler**

Reports indicate that the show STARTS not too long after T2 in the early 90s, but to help hide from the Terminators, Summer time travels everyone to 2007 (this explains why everyone's naked in part of the trailer, even after they do the introduction of Summer's character as innocent cutie). As a result, this overrides T3.

This in turn is okay, as the Terminator comics have for years postulated the existence of many alternate timelines and the interactions between them. Stuff like what would happen if Sarah HAD been killed int eh first movie, or if John Connor was actually born a girl. Hell, there was even a Robocop crossover which had the Terminators coming back to ensure that the technology used to create Murphy would also be used to create Skynet. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
I will probably check this out, even though I've never seen any of the "Terminator" movies. Because Summer Glau is HOT.

I just gotta say, though, that the line, "Come with me if you want to live!" is SUCH a fucking awful clich�.

Since you haven't see the Terminator movies (shame on you BTW) you won't know that line is in all 3...I think. First two for sure.
Just like "I'll Be Back" and "Get Out", it's sort of a catch phrase for the franchise.

quote:
This in turn is okay, as the Terminator comics have for years postulated the existence of many alternate timelines and the interactions between them. Stuff like what would happen if Sarah HAD been killed int eh first movie, or if John Connor was actually born a girl. Hell, there was even a Robocop crossover which had the Terminators coming back to ensure that the technology used to create Murphy would also be used to create Skynet.
You gotta love Frank Miller.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Since you haven't see the Terminator movies (shame on you BTW) you won't know that line is in all 3...I think. First two for sure.
Just like "I'll Be Back" and "Get Out", it's sort of a catch phrase for the franchise.

Oh. Well, never mind. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it's sort of the "I'm help" identifier. In T2, Arnie said it as an ID because it's what Michael Biehn had said in the first.

They named her Cameron after James Cameron. Tch. Also, a Terminator that learns to love? Oh boy.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
**spoiler**

Reports indicate that the show STARTS not too long after T2 in the early 90s, but to help hide from the Terminators, Summer time travels everyone to 2007 (this explains why everyone's naked in part of the trailer, even after they do the introduction of Summer's character as innocent cutie). As a result, this overrides T3.

This in turn is okay, as the Terminator comics have for years postulated the existence of many alternate timelines and the interactions between them. Stuff like what would happen if Sarah HAD been killed int eh first movie, or if John Connor was actually born a girl. Hell, there was even a Robocop crossover which had the Terminators coming back to ensure that the technology used to create Murphy would also be used to create Skynet. [Smile]

Mark

There's also Aliens vs Predator vs The Terminator and Superman vs The Terminator. There was also MarsNeedsWomen vs The Terminator vs Jelly Doughnut, but it was much less popular. [Wink]
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
Yeah, it's sort of the "I'm help" identifier. In T2, Arnie said it as an ID because it's what Michael Biehn had said in the first.

They named her Cameron after James Cameron. Tch. Also, a Terminator that learns to love? Oh boy.

That's fine, so long as she can't cry.
With a neural net processor I'd expect her to have quiet a bit of character growth. Look at T2, in a matter of days the T-800 learnt irony, humour (sorta) and sacrifice.

P.S. Found a couple clips on youtube - clip 1, clip 2 and clip 3

[ June 05, 2007, 04:08 AM: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps