Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » River Tam is BACK! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: River Tam is BACK!
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Summer as River was a great human foil for everyone else on Firefly - like Data or Spock or Seven, she was the representative of the audience looking in. I expect that this quality was chief among her winning this role.

I can see it now, though - the critics are going to stack this one against "The Bionic Woman" remake next season. This false comparison almost guarantees that only one will survive its first season.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Summer as River was a great human foil for everyone else on Firefly - like Data or Spock or Seven, she was the representative of the audience looking in.

I just don't see this at all. It's hard to get into her mind when she was barely occupying it herself!
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The same way that Spock or Data's lack of emotions got us teh most emotional fan responses over the years, IMO. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the look of that first link preview - this has potential! What is that about time-travel? Why to 2007? There'd still have to be a John Connor in the 90's to allow T3 to happen. That was SUCH a depressing ending to that movie, hey?

I alway felt that it was the start of a story for the next few movies - the rise of John Connor as a leader (and Clare Daines' character) and humanity's struggle to fight back. Still quite a depressing ending though.

Also - what was the first link's preview shown at - it seem to return to some sort of awards ceremony or something... does anyone know? Do they have an evening where they just preview all the new series for the following year?? That'd be call.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the ending to T3 paved the way for a fourth movie which would finally bring an end to the machines. But I have to agree with AndrewR that the ending was depressing.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ending was HOPEFUL dammit, not depressing.
I don't know why everyone keeps expecting a Terminator movie that shows the final defeat of the machines wasn't paying attention in the first movie.
Humanity had already won when Skynet sent the first Terminator back, imminent defeat is what drove it to such a desperate tactic.
Of course after that comes alternate timelines and predestination paradoxes and it all gets fuzzy. Bottom line, if Conner lives, we win, if he dies, those that aren't wiped out in the nuclear barrage are rounded up and exterminated in forced labour camps.

quote:
From the look of that first link preview - this has potential! What is that about time-travel? Why to 2007?
At a guess, because they want the show to be contemporary without ignoring T3. By jumping ahead they get to keep Sarah alive and have John still in his teens.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Trailer has appeared on Youtube.

I like the trick of hiding the gun inside the flesh. I have often wondered why the original Terminators weren't so equipped. Hell, a bunch of hardware wrapped in a cocoon of grown flesh sent along with the Terminator would have made it's mission much easier...and made a much shorter film.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Actually, that's all been done in the DHP comics - at least one terminator brought back an energy weapon IIRC, and in the "Robocop Vs. Terminator" crossover (which was actually pretty good), a fully-robotic Murphy/Robocop from the future came back to fix time by encasing himself in a solid lump of cloned flesh.

This preview however shows that the evil terminator here brought back a handgun that at least LOOKS like it could be bought locally. Of course, had he brought back a ray gun, he'd probably have vapourized River Tam instead of just "killing" her to be revealed later as a terminator herself.

Separately, the preview also seems to establish that time travellers aren't sent through the big shiny ball thing naked - whatever they may be wearing is removed in transit. But what about my 100% natural wool sweater, hmm?

Mark

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Well wool may be organic but it's still dead matter. Which might explain allot of the intense pain Reese described. Imagine having every bit of dead skin and loose hear ripped from your body all at once, that's gotta smart.
Speaking of smart it looks like Skynet set back a "sleeper" Terminator to monitor the net for signs of the Conners. Presumably these Terminators are from the post T3 timeline where John is eventually killed off - in the original timeline he's there when the defence grid is smashed and the complex it about to be blown - so Skynet has more time to send back agents for purposes other than just terminating future Tech-Comm officers, particularly considering temporal displacement technology now seams to have been developed pre-Judgement Day. Theoretically it could send back hordes of cyborgs with zipped copies of it's core program to ensure it's own future. Which is what I assume is partly what the T-X was up to.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Dead matter? Hair and nails..?

Mark

--------------------

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure this has been said before, but doesn't the existence of John Connor mean the war will still happen? They may have delayed it, but it would still happen considering his father was a soldier of that war. If the war never happened, then Reese would not have been sent back, and John would not have been born.

I will however check this show out if not only for the hottness of Summer Glau. Of course it's on Fox, so if it's actually good then they'll probably cancel it.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Especially since Reese was conceived and born after Judgement Day. Were it not for the war it's possible his biological parents would never have met...but that's time travel for you, it only makes sense to a point. The first two films were relatively neat but after that I think we're straying into alternate universe territory.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

We most definitely are. The story STARTS somewhere in the late-90s, but then Summer gets there, all hell breaks loose, and they end up time-travelled to 2008 (after Judgement Day as it occured in T3) to escape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sarah_Connor_Chronicles

Presumably this follows the comics idea that timelines between 1984 and 2029 are constantly in flux, and that any number of alternate ideas can play out. In this one, Summer is apparently sent from 2027, prior to Reese, if they keep that the original Terminator is from 2029.

In the movies, the goal progresses from ensuring John Connor is born to lead following Judgement Day, to ensuring that Judgement Day can never happen, to ensuring that John Connor SURVIVES it. Now, it looks like we're continuing the T3 idea at least, with an eye on keeping the Terminators in 2008 from causing the war in this timeline.

Mark

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps