Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Best unnappreciated Sci-Fi series / Movies (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Best unnappreciated Sci-Fi series / Movies
Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Mann & Machine," and some of the funnier episodes of "Alien Nation."
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it really doesn't count as SF as much as Fantasy, but I'd like to nominate "Beauty and the Beast" with Ron Perlman & Linda Hamilton.

A television show so laced with literary references and human drama I've never seen.

Plus my girlfriend loves it, is planning on writing her Master's thesis on it, and I can score points for having posted in its favor.

------------------
'In every country and in every age the priest has been hostile to Liberty; he is always in allegiance to the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection of his own." ---- Thomas Jefferson

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, someone's getting lucky tonight. 8)

Shame about the last series after Linda Hamilton left, though. Up until then, I must admit I really liked this show. I'm a softie at heart, really. . .

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also really liked Dune and S:AaB. I felt that they were both done well.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Transformers is under appreciated because no one shows it anymore.

------------------
With 17 hours of class, guess what I'm doing.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone remember a Saturday morning cartoon from the mid or late 1980s called "The Mighty Orbots"? It was about a group of five robots who combined into a big robot at the end of each episode to fight the villain of the week. It was a sort of Americanized anime, but had some good SF stories. I used to watch it every week (I was a college student at the time).

Re: Lynch's Dune. I think that most fans of the book were expecting something like Lawrence of Arabia. At least that's the picture I had when reading the book. Instead, Lynch gave us his vision colored by his obsessions with physical deformity, bodily secretions, and decayed industrial technology. I like his movies, but in retrospect, he was the wrong guy for such an epic story. I suppose he was chosen on the strength of "The Elephant Man," which is a completely different type of movie. I thought the technical design was also pretty bad: none of the ships or other tech made any impression. We can all lament the failed attempt by Jodoworsky to film Dune with designs by Moebius and HR Giger! Maybe someone will try to film this story again in a few years (but hopefully not Devlin and Emmerrich!)

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But have you seen those Giger concept drawings?! Goodness...that would have been an even more bizarre movie than what Lynch made. Sandcrawlers as huge cyborg-esque fat men?

------------------
"If you are going to be my girlfriend please don't dump me after I like you."
--
Michael

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another show that I liked was called Space Rangers or something like that. It was a group of rangers who went around the galaxy and stopped the bad guys. It was supriseingly good.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May I also elevate to divine status the groovy "Ulysses 31" cartoon. I must also confess to finding it impossible to talk about Buffy the Vampire Slayer without causing a mental short-circuit.....

"Buffy! Captain Buffy O'Hare!
Mutants and aliens and toads beware!"

eeep, a bit of a private UK ref there....

------------------
"You will be swept away....
You, your men, your ship, your WORLDS!"

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

I thought it was Bucky O'Hare.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was. And Bucky O'Hare did air over here (briefly).

------------------
"Stop right there! I have here the only working phaser ever built! It was fired only once: to keep William Shatner from making another album."

- The Collector, "Treehouse of Horror X," The Simpsons.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to watch Bucky O'Hare. I still remember what the ships look like.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We've got some new songs here that are not even on the MP3 thing. They're not available in any format, except of course the bootlegs that seem to proliferate all through our audience, as we watch people lip-synch along to songs that HAVEN'T BEEN RELEASED! DAMN YOU!" - John Linnell

Lt. Tom
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Tom's ears perk up. Someone said Dune?* =)

Well, I won't rehash all the Dune and Cube posts, but I couldn't let this thread slip by without mentioning my favorite series of all time: Quantum Leap. Cancelling that show was the second-dumbest thing NBC's ever done.

IP: Logged
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'd hardly say they cancelled it. It had several good years, and went out on a high note.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harsh Realm. Definately Harsh Realm. Cancelled after 3 episodes. Wasn't even given a chance.

------------------
Fabrux's Starship Page

I am Canadian

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps