Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ Heroes 2x07 Out of Time $$ (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$ Heroes 2x07 Out of Time $$
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO that would only work with identical twins coming from one zygote. Given that they're fraternal twins.... seems a bit of a stretch to me.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a good point, but then why do they both have powers at all? Granted we haven't seen any siblings of anyone else with powers yet (to my knowledge) so perhaps if two parents with powers have kids, all the children will have powers.

If we ever DO see a power/non-power pairing we can make a guess as to how dominant the genes are.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Granted we haven't seen any siblings of anyone else with powers yet (to my knowledge)..."

Unless you count two of the main characters who have been on the show since the beginning.

Not to mention Hiro's sister, but there hasn't been any indication of whether she has powers or not.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh right. Them. I meant besides them, obviously. I mean, only an idiot would forget about that.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if both Jessica and Nikki had powers, or if that's just one ginormous clusterf***. Or if that's what happens when idential twins have powers.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't recall any mention of the "real" Jessica being her twin, just her sister (though I may be forgetting something.)
Though it is possible that she would have some form of power, at least.
I wondered about Hiro's sister as well, however, their Father's uncertainty if another Nakamura would "ascend" may indicate that, in his experience, children of the "gifted" don't always exhibit powers of their own.
Actually, now that I think about it, Kaito did say he didn't think Hiro would be the one to "ascend", which means he expected the sister, hence keeping her close while leaving Hiro in the cubicle farm to work his way to inherit the company.
Also, when he gives Clare over to Noah there seams to be some question as to whether or not she will also eventually have a power, despite her parentage.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can also look at Mohinder. His sister had a power(or at least, it was very strongly implied), while he doesn't appear to. The idea that everyone who's born from a Hero gets powers just seems to me like wishful thinking from fans. I'm not very familiar with genetics, but siblings can have different coloured hair and eyes and other features, so it shouldn't be such a stretch that some have powers and some don't.

Then again there are some very strong lineages of family members with powers. Just think of Claire. She has a power, both her parents and grandparents have powers as well as her uncle. Maybe whether you get powers is dependent on whether one or both of your parents have them. If it's just the one, then there's less chance?

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, inherited genes can be recessive though obviously if both parents have a certain trait then the likelihood of it being passed onto the children is greater. Anyone who breeds pedigree animals can tell you that. Of course it's all subject to chance, so someone who is a 3rd generation "Hero" (at least) like Claire has a VERY high chance of developing powers, though there is a small chance the gene may be recessive in her. I'm sure a part of the long term reason the company kept her so close (aside from the obvious) is to see if her children would exhibit powers, even if she didn't.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah, it's a series of 4 genetic markers. I can see how while they might be dominant, they're easily skippable. Everyone in my family (one side of it, anyway) has the same nose except me.

And it often seems that a person's power tends to relate to their personality or interests. The office drone who wants a way out of where he is can teleport, the nurse/nicest person in his family is an empath, the guy who can barely read because he's so dyslexic can at least read minds...

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

That's an interesting take, I hadn't thought of the appropriateness of the powers. Perhaps the whole thing is a polygenetic mess linked to the genes for personality? Or perhaps its *magic*!!!!

Reverend, I think the specific line that Kaito said to Bennett when he handed Claire to him (well the subtitle translation of the Japanese anyway) was "If she manifests *blah blah*." So yeah, I don't think they were sure she would have a power.

Bones McCoy
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for Bones McCoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, as for Maya and Alejandro, we've seen how inexperienced mutants (yeah, I said it) have barely scratched the surface of their powers (Parkman, Peter, Hiro, for example). So I think Maya and Alejandro have the same power, but they use dfferent aspects of it... Maya being the 'fragile' (hardly) sibling, always needing protection, and Alejandro being the stronger one, always "right behind his little sister" if Memory serves. I think Sylar's gonna be in for a surprise when he finally gives Alejandro the chop. And it will be Alejandro to go first... Sylar would want to protect himself before taking on something that could kill him (after the Ted Sprague learning-curve, I mean.)

--------------------
"Brave men are vertebrates: they have their softness on the outside, and their toughness in the middle"
-Lewis Carrol

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good episode. What happens to the Irish chick? She's left in the future. Wouldn't Peter changing something in the past make her not get captured - but then that could stop them both from being captured then Peter wouldn't come back in time to change... what ever to stop them getting captured. "I hate temporal mechanics".

So the ability duplication seems to be the dominant sub-theory... Someone around here mentioned it after, like the first episode - which annoyed me because it was obvious - whoever did - had been reading extra stuff because it was NOT very obvious from the first episode.

Duplicates (or semiduplicated power)

Claire - Adam
West - Nathan
Matt - Maurie
Molly - Maurie?? (She said last season that someone else could track down mutants).
Candice (was that her name - the one who tried to stop Sylar escape and shot herself in the head to stop him from getting her power) - Angela Patrelli? Someone mentioned once that it seemed Angela Patrelli could have the power of suggestion

The chick who could change environments (she was really a fat chick) - Mauri

Micha's cousin - The cute girl from the diner (fast learning)

Micha - Hana Gitelman?? (Ability to talk/utilise machines/computers

Sylar/Peter Patrelli - the ability to take other's powers.

Hiro appears to be unique.
DL appears to be unique
Lindermann appears to be unique
Isaac Mendez appears to be unique.

I was wondering if Angela Patrelli's powers were the opposite to the Haitian - maybe putting memories back in?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Bones McCoy
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for Bones McCoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking they're gonna use a scenario from X-Men here. The company wants Claire's healing powers. Presumably they want to infect her, and use her antibodies as a cure for the plague.

Just like when Apocalypse developed a doomsday virus and Cable travelled back in time and purposefully infected Wolverine to get a cure from his antibodies.

ok, that being said, I think I'll unplug for a while and maybe find a girl... I'm reading WAAAAY too much into my fantasy worlds...

--------------------
"Brave men are vertebrates: they have their softness on the outside, and their toughness in the middle"
-Lewis Carrol

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone note how there's only three episodes left until...I don't know what?Season Finale?
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're doing the same thing they did first season. Eleven episodes, break, eleven episodes. [Razz]

Bones, it wasn't "reading ahead". I don't remember who posted it, and don't feel like going back to check, but he was quoting Tim Kring in an interview or other comment on the NBC web site where he said that we were going to see powers being duplicated this season.

Oh, and Andrew -- Candace was the fat chick. Eden was the manipulator.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps