Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ BSG 4x06 Faith $$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$ BSG 4x06 Faith $$
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read Nana Vistor was goign to be in Galactica this season, but didn't twig it was her until the ferry scene.

I don't think this is the first time we've seen FTL from the first person. If memory serves we also got a glimpse back when Crashdown and Boomer found Kobol.
As for how it functions, I've always assumed it was a form of space folding, which I suppose is a form of teleportation, just not the disintegrate->transmit->reintegrate variety.

The fact the the Five have already been to Earth does answer at least one question and that is why they were "triggered" in the nebula - because they've been there before!
OF course in true Galactica style, every answered question breeds twenty more as yet unanswered ones, like if they've been there, why come back and hide with the humans? Was Earth unwelcoming or was it a dead world? When did they go? How long were they gone and when did they get back?
Logically that should have been 20-30 years back when we know Adama met Tigh, but that makes it a very tight timeline since we're not even sure how long ago the Cylon made the full switch from toasters to skinjobs.

One thing I wonder about is was the Centurion that shot the Eight just acting protectively or are they still in some way tied into the Hybrid?

Oh and it looks like I was right about Orion being a deliberate, since that system is indeed close to Sol.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took the Hybrid's message as meaning the Five were from Earth, not that they'd been there.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...well then strictly speaking, they wouldn't be Cylons then, would they?

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excepting temporal paradoxes, cyclic time effects, Earth being the tribe that actually first created artificially intelligent robots, or the Cylons finding Earth and then building the first five skinjobs there.

Which reminds me...why are the five FINAL and not INITIAL? It seems to me that if they were there before the other seven skinjobs (and at least Tight was), they ought to be models 1-5, and the other Cylons we see in the show should be models 6-12.

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
Excepting temporal paradoxes, cyclic time effects, Earth being the tribe that actually first created artificially intelligent robots, or the Cylons finding Earth and then building the first five skinjobs there.

Which reminds me...why are the five FINAL and not INITIAL? It seems to me that if they were there before the other seven skinjobs (and at least Tight was), they ought to be models 1-5, and the other Cylons we see in the show should be models 6-12.

Because that would make sense. Obviously

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the goal of all the agains is to reach earth and that they will continue the loop until they do?

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
I took the Hybrid's message as meaning the Five were from Earth, not that they'd been there.

Well, if they are from Earth then wouldn't they have had to have been there?

Unless they are from Earth in the sense of being representatives or messengers. Perhaps someone at Earth has summoned them or sent them on this important assignment.

I suspect the final Cylon will know all. For some reason the other four have had their memories blocked or suppressed to the point that they didn't even know they are Cylons.

No one mentioned anything about Baltar quoting Shakespeare in his sermons.

Someone at BSG has been reading my mind and stole my idea. Either that or one of my friends has been selling my ideas behind my back. I had this idea/story point for a Trek series where the main ship's warp core is damaged and the only way to make it back is to use a shuttle's warp core to propel the main ship back to the fleet. What does BSG do? Use the Raptor's FTL to jump the Base Star back to the fleet.

I need to rewatch the end of the episode. Did the hybrid specifically state that Kara is HUMANITY's harbinger of death? Is she the harbinger of death for the Cylons?

I thought the one reborn was Kara.

Could Hera be the final missing Cylon? Or is she a hybrid of sorts? Of course if that's the case, then shouldn't Tyrol's baby also be the same thing?

On the one hand, I can understand the Cylons not being able to figure out the Raptor's FTL drive. Looking at it from the standpoint of primitive tech - there's plenty of primitive tech that I can't figure out. We still wonder how some ancient civilizations built the Pyramids, South American temples and walls, Statues, etc... Ancient tech gets lost and unable to figure out.

On the other hand the valid point has been brought up - there ought to be plenty of captured Raptors in Cylon hands that they have taken apart and figured out by now. On top of that, they had time before the attack on the Colonies to have various skinjobs infiltrate the military and get all kinds of intel.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

I meant "from Earth" as in "originally constructed/born on Earth" as opposed to "been to Earth" as in "originally constructed/born in the Twelve Colonies, traveled to Earth, then left and returned to the Colonies."

Maybe they didn't care to take them apart and figure them out. They're not exactly archaeologists.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HerbShrump:
Could Hera be the final missing Cylon? Or is she a hybrid of sorts? Of course if that's the case, then shouldn't Tyrol's baby also be the same thing?

Maybe Hera and Tyrol's baby *together* are the final Cylon, since each is half-Cylon? It almost seems like an Adam & Eve thing.
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Maybe the Virtual Six & Baltar are the final Cylon who really IS incorporeal! Or, like, exists within the minds of others, a memetic organism.

Damn it to hell, I said I was going to stop speculating.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing about the final Cylon is that when they are finally revealed, it will make so much sense that we'll all smack our foreheads and say "Why didn't I see that BEFORE?!"

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Right. Well, that, or, it'll be so contrived and/or nonsensical we'll all stand up suddenly, gesticulate wildly, and say "What the fuck was that!?" in an elevated voice.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They really seem to be going ahead with this prequel, judging by the casting of Eric Stoltz. So my thinking is, a lot will be revealed which can then be elaborated on in Caprica.

I've been thinking about the idea of a time-loop. I'd previously discounted the idea because the notion of time-travel seemed far to hi-tech for the nuts'n'bolts science of BSG. But now, after what Daniel said in the last post on the first page, I'm mulling it over again.

I never really understood all that stuff about light cones etc. in A Brief History of Time. But there's one version of it I've encountered that makes sense to me, in Ken MacLeod's The Stone Canal. In it, a pair of wormhole gates are generated and then one is fired off at near-lightspeed, allowing what in effect becomes a portal into the future. From this wormhole a "daughter wormhole" is hived off to a solar system 10,000 light years away - but also 10,000 years in the future. Traveling to this system (New Mars its main planet is called) via the daughter wormhole is instantaneous, but to travel there in normal space even at near-c would take 10,000+ years. This is explored further in the sequel, The Cassini Division when, after the destruction of the wormhole gate, they receive messages transmitted by laser/radio immediately after, which have taken 10,000 years to get there.

Now, if anyone ever deserved to have "Not Good at Physics" tattooed on his forehead, it's me. And yet I began to wonder, is the FTL drive a time machine? Just as stepping (or rather, flying) back and forth through MacLeod's wormhole involves travelling 10,000 years through time, so does travel by FTL involve a journey into the future or the past.

In other words, the journey to Earth involves travelling back through time, and starts another round of the loop. the Twelve Colonies are then founded, eventually, from Earth by sublight ships, with the Five along in some form or other, waiting to be reborn (or whatever) and trying to break the loop. With Caprica we then see the events that lead to bringing the loop back to its start, perhaps with the hope that this time the loop will be broken.

We all read how wowed RDM was with the Sopranos' finale. Perhaps he'll take a leaf from that - they find Earth, and it ends. Boom, finito, no revelation of at what point in its history Earth is at, no nothing.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
The thing about the final Cylon is that when they are finally revealed, it will make so much sense that we'll all smack our foreheads and say "Why didn't I see that BEFORE?!"

Watch the final Cylon turn out to be a CGI Lorne Greene or Dirk Benedict. Since all of this has happened before it turns out TOS BSG was real and they were really the first Cylons...

On a more serious note ... If the final Cylon is going to turn out to be an established character other than the main cast, then in my opinion that only leave Zarek or Gaeta. Anyone else wouldn't have nearly enough impact on the viewers.

I don't think the final Cylon is someone who died because that would have zero impact on the viewers or story. Unless the character never was really dead or was resurrected.

I'm still not sure what to think about Starbuck.

And I doubt it's the Galactica. I floated that idea in my own head before I read it here. Cute idea but I don't think it really works. What, suddenly the Galactica comes alive and reveals itself to be sentient? That'd be totally out of left field and out of place. Plus, wouldn't that mean that the original colonists hat to simply find the Galactica instead of it being built at a shipyard? Or did the other Cylons infiltrate the shipyards and manipulate the construction of the Galactica?

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
They really seem to be going ahead with this prequel, judging by the casting of Eric Stoltz. So my thinking is, a lot will be revealed which can then be elaborated on in Caprica.

I've been thinking about the idea of a time-loop. I'd previously discounted the idea because the notion of time-travel seemed far to hi-tech for the nuts'n'bolts science of BSG. But now, after what Daniel said in the last post on the first page, I'm mulling it over again.

I never really understood all that stuff about light cones etc. in A Brief History of Time. But there's one version of it I've encountered that makes sense to me, in Ken MacLeod's The Stone Canal. In it, a pair of wormhole gates are generated and then one is fired off at near-lightspeed, allowing what in effect becomes a portal into the future. From this wormhole a "daughter wormhole" is hived off to a solar system 10,000 light years away - but also 10,000 years in the future. Traveling to this system (New Mars its main planet is called) via the daughter wormhole is instantaneous, but to travel there in normal space even at near-c would take 10,000+ years. This is explored further in the sequel, The Cassini Division when, after the destruction of the wormhole gate, they receive messages transmitted by laser/radio immediately after, which have taken 10,000 years to get there.

Now, if anyone ever deserved to have "Not Good at Physics" tattooed on his forehead, it's me. And yet I began to wonder, is the FTL drive a time machine? Just as stepping (or rather, flying) back and forth through MacLeod's wormhole involves travelling 10,000 years through time, so does travel by FTL involve a journey into the future or the past.

In other words, the journey to Earth involves travelling back through time, and starts another round of the loop. the Twelve Colonies are then founded, eventually, from Earth by sublight ships, with the Five along in some form or other, waiting to be reborn (or whatever) and trying to break the loop. With Caprica we then see the events that lead to bringing the loop back to its start, perhaps with the hope that this time the loop will be broken.

We all read how wowed RDM was with the Sopranos' finale. Perhaps he'll take a leaf from that - they find Earth, and it ends. Boom, finito, no revelation of at what point in its history Earth is at, no nothing.

If that were the case then they whole bit about the Cylons being one light year away from New Caprica when they detected the EMP from the detonation on Cloud 9 (that happened 1 year ago) wouldn't work. No I think their FTL has no noticeable relativistic effects because they don't seam to travel in the space between where they drop out and back in to sublight. Maybe it's space folding or some bizarre application of quantum physics in which the ship is in momentarily in two places at once. Either way it seams to be instantaneous.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps