Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ BSG 4x06 Faith $$ (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$ BSG 4x06 Faith $$
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it me, or has this "computer whiz" angle of the Cylons been forgotton a bit? Vipers, Raptors and civilian vessels apparently do not have networked systems either, or at least not at a level that makes them susceptible to Cylon hacking.

In this light, the inability of the Cylons to work with the Raptor jump drive is even more unbelievable. Although I guess you could claim the Raptor was specifically designed to be non-compatible.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which makes sense given its mission profile. Seems to me in the miniseries when the flight of Vipers went conko the Raptor was fine and continued to Caprica.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boomer's Raptor had hung back, though, and might simply have been out of range or out of the targeted area.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HerbShrump:
See, that's why I think it IS believable. But such complicated actions like FTL, etc... I just don't know. Seems like advanced computers and networks would be needed.

Not saying they don't have advanced computers. There just must not be a central computer core. Every work station must have it's on CPU.

I'm just too jaded/used to this 21st Century life of networked computers, Internet, etc...

Yeah I think the basic idea is that the Jump Drive has it's own dedicated computer as to most systems, they're simply not connected so any communication between them has to go through their human operators.
I think there's a line in "Razor" when the Pegasus first gets hit when someone (probably Kendra) says the networks are down so they have to do everything manually. In fact I think the Jump computer itself was down which is why it had to be a blind jump. So as a machine, the jump drives work fine without computer control, at least so far as actually making a jump goes and that the computers are purely there for guidance and navigation.
So it's not like is Star Trek where the computer has to be constantly keeping a reaction contained or an energy field stable, it's more like Star Wars where the drive works as soon as it's activated, like a catalyst or a hypergolic reaction where it can't help but go off as soon as the valve is open or whatever principle the Galactica drives work on.

As for the Raptors, I imagine their systems are encrypted anyway and while the Cylons could crack it, it'd simply be easier and quicker for Athena to do it herself as she has all the codes.

And yes Dan, I meant WWII [Razz] One of the drawbacks of a wireless keyboard is that it sometimes randomly doubles up my keystrokes!

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps