Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ BSG 4x09 "The Hub" $$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ BSG 4x09 "The Hub" $$
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Takin' a turn here . . .

Okay, so we see the attack on the hub, the aftermath of which is seen the episode prior. And there's some reference to two days ago . . . whatever.

Presi . . . er . . . Laura Roslin (since they installed a new president after she'd been gone to parts unknown for all of 45 minutes) has visions in the midst of FTL jumps, which is really quite interesting.

These have the excellent benefit of improving her relationship with Adama, but also result in what must and can only be the most ridiculous deus ex machina of the entire series.

Baltar confesses his role in the Cylon attack, and Laura Roslin . . . President and Cancerous Badass of the remnants of The Twelve Colonies, Airlock Archer, Personal Loather of Former President Gaius Baltar (Who Incidentally Signed Her Failed Death Sentence), and She Who Once enVisioned That She Saw Baltar With a Six . . .

(breathes)

. . . knowingly and willfully and desperately saves his life, intentionally.

That pretty much ripped me right out of the show. I kept watching because the Threes are back and looking good as always, and so I was won back a little by the aforementioned Adama moment, but damn.

(I don't know if Moore was thinking of some sort of Kira/Dukat dynamic or what, but it didn't work here.)

I leave the rest to others.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder what the nature of those visions was. We know Cylons can 'project' environments while aboard Basestars (or just always? I dont know). Those visions she had could possibly have been generated by the Hybrid herself, and the Hybrid wanted Baltar to survive.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Baltar confesses his role in the Cylon attack, and Laura Roslin . . . President and Cancerous Badass of the remnants of The Twelve Colonies, Airlock Archer, Personal Loather of Former President Gaius Baltar (Who Incidentally Signed Her Failed Death Sentence), and She Who Once enVisioned That She Saw Baltar With a Six . . .

(breathes)

. . . knowingly and willfully and desperately saves his life, intentionally.

You failed the mention that she first tried to make him bleed to death before her attack of conscience.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And you're also forgetting the major theme of the show... "Is Humanity worth saving?" Letting Baltar die would've been a fairly definitive answer to that question.

I also don't think that Elosha's appearance is necessarily a deus ex machina. Not yet, anyway. It'll depend on if the writers take it anywhere. I figure that Elosha's related to all the other apparitions we've seen—the Six in Baltar's head, the Baltar in Six's head, and that damn music at the nebula that hasn't been explained yet. I fully expect that a lot of these uncertainties will be addressed.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But if it wasn't for Baltar's actions, we wouldn't need to ask if humanity is worth saving. Although I suppose there are still plenty of ways for him to die later on. I hope for a good old fashion impaling. [Razz]
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I loved seeing the rest of the "You don't know you're one of them?" scene! We saw the first part in the preview from last week, but we weren't sure who D'Anna was talking to. I was fully expecting her to be talking to Anders. (BTW, where was he? I don't remember seeing him in the briefing scene.)
shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose we just have to assume he was there the whole time. I think the writers probably forgot to include him.

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think they forgot exactly. It's interesting to note that none of the final four made an appearance. I actually found the episode a bit dull, perhaps partly because I don't find Roslin very engaging. Next week's looks extremely good, though.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm gonna try writing this as I watch the ep.

Something occurs to me - why would the Cylons design their resurrection systems to all coordinate through a central hub? What a massive danger that is. That'd be like humans building a ship which, when destroyed, caused every human in existence to contract a terminal illness. I find the idea of a 'resurrection hub' to be a deus ex machina.

I had to pause the episode for about ten seconds to finish laughing at Baltar - "Sshh...shhh..hey...stop jumping the ship, alright??"

So...is Roslin seeing the future during those jumps? Maybe there are relativistic effects after all.... [Wink] On a more serious note, her hair changed during her visions or whatever she's having - is she wearing a wig in 'real time' and not during the visions?

That 'shakycam' effect seemed a lot more pronounced during this episode, especially the scene with Whatever-8-that-was and Helo.

So why are all the rooms in the baseships filled with those red ... eye-strip things? Internal sensors? Why do they scan back and forth like that? Seems a very odd mode of operation. If they were sensors though, they'd know everything that Roslin and Helo were talking about in private. I'd consider it was some kind of Cylon internal decoration but we know they don't need decoration what with their Projection.

The battle scene was incredible, and I hope they put the music they used on the Season 4 soundtrack. (Incidentally, "Dei Kobol" from the Season 2 soundtrack is a really wonderful song.)

That's a nasty wound Baltar has. You know they didn't used to be able to show gore like that on network TV here. Also, I think I heard a hiss as Roslin injected the morpha - some kind of hypo instead of a syringe? Makes sense, really.

There's something Calvinist about Baltar's speech, especially the line about "I blamed myself, but God made the man who made that choice." Damn - I *still* can't figure out if he's evil, good, or just crazy - and similarly I can't decide about Roslin these days. She's gotten darker and darker.

"Now there's no difference - we can all start trusting each other." Bit naïve isn't it? Just because we die too they'll trust us?

I really like Elosha's speech about humanity not being able to survive on a case-by-case basis.

I know this is an odd thing to notice, but I find it weird that Deanna is wearing those little black slippers. We've seen that Cylons are perfectly comfortable barefoot or even naked wandering about the ship. I get the real-world necessity for her to have put on a robe but I don't get the shoes. Maybe Lucy Lawless just has a problem with being seen barefoot, some people do.

LOL...I almost had a *heart attack* just then. "But you don't know that YOU'RE ONE OF THEM??"

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The battle scene was the shits. I swear all of last season was just talky-talk and love triangles and then all of a sudden a fricken battlestar is falling from the sky.

I hope we see more stuff like that as the season goes on (or at least one more before the end).

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, as Helo'n'Co were escaping the Hub, I did wonder whether Three was getting her feet cut on debris. So was rather relieved when I saw she was wearing slippers. Perhaps a nicer touch would have been if she was instead seen to be wearing Cavill's outsized (for her) shoes!

I suppose that's the end of Cavill isn't it? And maybe even Original Booomer too.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
Personally, I loved seeing the rest of the "You don't know you're one of them?" scene! We saw the first part in the preview from last week, but we weren't sure who D'Anna was talking to. I was fully expecting her to be talking to Anders. (BTW, where was he? I don't remember seeing him in the briefing scene.)

so who was it? (I was really, really zonked Friday night from work...)
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D'Anna *was* talking to Roslin, and she held that look a couple of seconds before she burst out laughing! She said that's the only bargaining chip she has right now, and did they really think that she'd give it up right now. So basically, she faked us all out!
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Actually, as Helo'n'Co were escaping the Hub, I did wonder whether Three was getting her feet cut on debris. So was rather relieved when I saw she was wearing slippers. Perhaps a nicer touch would have been if she was instead seen to be wearing Cavill's outsized (for her) shoes!

I suppose that's the end of Cavill isn't it? And maybe even Original Booomer too.

I hope not. I really think Boomer has gotten a very raw deal on the show and deserves a chance for...something. I don't know what exactly, not redemption because she never chose to betray her people (by which I mean the fleet) which is more than you can say for Athena but still I think there's allot of dramatic potential in her character that could do with a little more exploration. I suppose the bottom line is I'd like to see her able to return the the fleet.
As for Cavill, all units of that model seam pretty uniform so the "character" isn't gone. I suppose that makes him the Weyoun of the series.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole thing's a love story! The main point of the show isn't to find Earth, or who's a Cylon - it's to get the Chief and Boomer back together!

Well, with Cally spaced, and Cavill goo-wrestled, they're both available. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps