Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ DW s04e12 Previews $$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ DW s04e12 Previews $$
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got a link?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or just here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4GtbZ6GiO0Q

That's pretty chilling. I rallly like the expression on Sarah Jane's face, and she's thinking about Luke first, being so young upon realizing that there is really no hope for Earth against the Daleks. Even Jack's genuinely afraid - though possibly more for his team than for himself. He's been exterminated before... Would he survive it again?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like that they haven't diminished the threat and impact of the Daleks, even after all these years.
It's a shame the Borg were not treated with as much respect...ironic considering which one looks slightly more silly.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I like that they haven't diminished the threat and impact of the Daleks, even after all these years."

They kinda have, though. They just don't acknowledge it. That's what seems a little silly to me about this trailer. Everyone hears a Dalek voice and immediately shits themselves. And yet, every time the Daleks show up recently, the Doctor ends up not only defeating them handily, but pretty much completely annihilating them. (Except, then they always come back somehow.)

Basically, the Daleks are so repeatedly defeatable, they're more like annoying insects than the worst enemies ever. Instead of quaking in fear, the characters should be saying "Oh, christ, not the Daleks again. Doctor, could you swat them for us? Thanks."

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Basically, the Daleks are so repeatedly defeatable, they're more like annoying insects than the worst enemies ever.

But the whole point is that it's only the Doctor who can defeat them - pretty much everyone else in the universe is completely screwed. The Daleks are old, powerful, technologically advanced and absolutely psychotic, right down to the genetic level. They took on the Time Lords and managed to fight them to a standstill.

Consider the Sixth Doctor's views on his own people:

quote:
In all my travelling throughout the universe I have battled against evil, against power mad conspirators. I should have stayed here. The oldest civilisation: decadent, degenerate, and rotten to the core. Power mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans, Cybermen, they're still in the nursery compared to us. Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
And that's the power that the Daleks have, that's the civilization they were able to take on. Even the Time Lords were worried about them, enough to try to avert their creation. So I don't think they have been diluted - it's just that the Doctor is the only character who can beat them. The Borg were different - they went from a force that the entire Federation couldn't stop to one that was taken on and defeated every week by a single isolated ship thousands of light years from home. [Smile]
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy CRAP! What an AWESOME teaser. I'm actually shaking! Sarah-Jane's response was shocking and amazing!

Wow! I can't wait for this.

Wow.

*Agrees whole-heartedly with FawnDoo*

Thanks again for the link!

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta agree too. Jack, Sarah Jane, even Rose all know that against the Daleks, they're dead without the Doctor. The Daleks have always been posessed of incredible firepower and an insane compulsion to kill absolutely everyone who isn't a Dalek. The only one with the smarts to defeat them has always ever been the Doctor, and in the future history of Earth, a massive coalition of planets centuries from now. Even the Movellans had only been able to fight them to a standstill.

But right here, right now, anyone who's messed with the Daleks before knows in their heart that they were lucky to walk away while most everyone aound them died. Everyone died on Satellite Five, including Jack. Tons of people died at the Slaughter of Canary Wharf. Pretty much everyone was dead on Exxilon, and in the Kaled city on Skaro before Sarah Jane left those places.

You know, I'm wondering just how much of the past three seasons could have been avoided if Harriet Jones hadn't blown up the Sycorax ship in "The Christmas Invasion". Would they really have texted the interstellar community and told them that Earth was defended and to stay away? Would the Sontarans, the Adipose, the Krillitane, Klom, Racnoss, Slitheen, and whatever other aliens in Tochwood and SJA have come to wreak havoc on the primitive Earth had they been allowed to tell them? How wrong was Harriet Jones?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Is the current series, the most that they've had alien activities based on current-time Earth? In the older Doctor Who series... was it mainly based away from Earth?

--------------------

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new series does have more of a focus on Earth than "classic" DW. Which is not to say that it didn't feature in the series: every Doctor had adventures on Earth (the Third Doctor was even based there permanently for a time, sent there in exile by the Time Lords) but the new series is more Earth-centred than the old one. Travel to an alien planet has been very much the exception rather than the rule in the new series, but Doctors One to Seven (and Eight, if you're a Big Finish fan) were all over the place. Gallivanting Gallifreyans, you might say! :-)
FawnDoo
Member # 1421

There will no doubt be a new thread soon to discuss the episode properly, but for now all I'll say is blimey. Good ending, they played a blinder with this one! :-)
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah...I'm not buying that ending. No way THAT could have been kept secret in this day and age. My money is on some Medusa Cascade loophole.

--------------------

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

Oh, agreed, absolutely. There's jiggery-pokery afoot, I think. As far as keeping it quiet in these days of the internet...well, nothing's impossible. I agree with you and think that the ending isn't what it appears to be, but part of me wishes it was, because pulling off a surprise like that would just be so admirable. :-)
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say it can't be for real. They've already said that Tennant is going to be in the specials they're running next year. In fact, aren't they skipping the 2009 season specifically so that he could work on other stuff without leaving the show?
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Random thought - the camera settled on the extra hand at least once in the episode...it's on the floor...by the console...just saying it might be worth remembering how it came to be an extra hand in the first place...

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of the reason for the 2009 specials was David Tennant's schedule, I do believe. But there's also the fact that the BBC's budget has been slashed (or rather, the license fee hasn't gone up with inflation for next year, or something). That's also the reason Torchwood will only get about 6 episodes.

But I agree it's quite unlikely DT is leaving, and much less likely they could've kept it a secret. But.. he could be leaving for just one episode? It would be quite a stunt if they do actually finish the regeneration properly! They could leave getting the Tenth Doctor back for the Christmas Special or even the 2009 specials, and just leave us hopelessly confused with a brand new, unannounced Eleventh Doctor!

Here's another wonderfully strange moment... in Doctor Who Confidential shown on BBC3 after the episode, there was a very brief interview (one statement) from Sylvester McCoy. And there are two major questions to be asked there:

- Was this part of some larger interview? What for? They showed a similar clip of Davison right after, but he's been more involved with Doctor Who recently than McCoy (Time Crash, his daughter playing.. the daughter).
- WAS HE IN COSTUME!? Okay, it's known that the hat he wore in the classic series was his own, so he could be dressing like that anyway.. but why the umbrella? He was sitting, in costume, in a studio of some kind. Now, maybe he likes to dress up for interviews.. but that was such a strange moment. Remember, the Seventh Doctor was the last one to face Davros...

I don't want to speculate on whatever is going on next week, since it seems to be completely up in the air... but if there's even a remote chance of the Seventh Doctor appearing next week, or maybe in a special.. that would be very cool indeed. He's one of my favorites, and his 'dark Doctor' was very "New Who". Even if it's just for "Time Crash Part Deux"... consider me intrigued.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps