Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Stargate Continuum $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Stargate Continuum $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point - I can't believe I didn't even think of that...
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deadcujo:
Daniel says "shit" in it. It's a very dark film.

Watched it last night... and yes LOL! You know when Daniel swears that things aren't going too well.

I thought it was OK. Wasn't to shabby. Wasn't spectacular. It could have been something WAY different.

They had done it all before - with Lost City 1 and 2 - I was worried they were going to go down that path again.

I think the coolest effect was Ba'al's time machine chamber towards the end.

I haven't read this entire thread yet so I apologise in advance but - did I pick up a little slip up - or a technical impossibility... Carter said that she had to be careful otherwise they'd end up in the Cretacious period. That wouldn't have been possible - unless the Stargate was on Earth in that time period. I would guess time travel using the gate method is restricted to WHEN the gates first were made.

Unless the Ancients themselves didn't make the gates... Hmmm. [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Finally watched it and thought it was pretty good. Lot's of cool drool-worthy stuff. Seeing all the old System Lords again (especially Nirrti), Teal'c back in the armor, O'Niell, Ba'al getting sliced in half, Apophis getting top-knotted... all very cool.

Here's my plot-hole question: Mitchell flare-gates off Praxia to go back to 1929... where did he come out? Two possibilities: 1) Earth - Big problem as Earth's gates were buried in Egypt and at the bottom of an Antarctic cravass. 2) Praxia - Another problem as he's now stranded on another planet with no way to get to Earth.

The most likely possibility is Praxia, as we've seen the wormhole loop back to the original gate in time travel eps before. He would've had 10 years to hook up with some Jaffa, Tokra or other space-capable race and get back to Earth in time to stow away on the Achilles. He would still have been able to use the Gate to find some future allies. And the guy is pretty resourceful. Just would've been nice if they didn't totally side-step it.

The gate was unearthed in Giza in 1928 - so presumably Cam came out of the gate somewhere in a warehouse in Cairo.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I should've looked it up on Wikipedia first. :/

I still think he would've had to have come back to Praxia first, though. In "1969" and "2010", the wormhole always looped back to Earth. So why wouldn't this one loop back to its point of origin? Still... it would've made it alot easier for him to Gate to Earth afterwards.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
I haven't read this entire thread yet so I apologise in advance but - did I pick up a little slip up - or a technical impossibility... Carter said that she had to be careful otherwise they'd end up in the Cretacious period. That wouldn't have been possible - unless the Stargate was on Earth in that time period. I would guess time travel using the gate method is restricted to WHEN the gates first were made.

Interesting question... However, even back in "1969" we saw the answer to that... They stepped out of the gate in Cheyenne Mountain, but the gate disappeared (at that time it was in DC, remember?). So apparently, a time-traveling wormhole need not necessarily exit through a gate. Somehow.
quote:
Unless the Ancients themselves didn't make the gates... Hmmm. [Smile]
But we saw that specifically in "The Ark of Truth" that it was an Ancient who came up with the idea for the Stargates.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But how long ago did the Ancients *make* the gates? They built Atlantis "several million years ago" but we don't know how long ago they started building the gates...could've been several hundred million years ago, all things considered. (Although I highly doubt they were on Earth by then).
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, in "The Ark of Truth," the first scene took place "millions of years ago." No idea exactly how much time may have passed.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Yes, that's what I mean - they never say exactly how many millions of years ago. 65 million is "millions" [Razz] Although I suppose "millions" as opposed to "tens of millions" connotes something less than 10 or 15 million, but not necessarily.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I suppose I could check out the bit of "Lost City" that shows the continents migrating and try to match that with known arrangements from the past.... and yes, I am that much of a geology geek. [Wink]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding gate time travel, I see two possibilities of what would happen if you travelled back to a point before gates existed (whenever that might be).
1: The wormhole itself shifts in the 4th dimension through subspace in transit so if it fails to make a connection with a gate in the destination time then you're basically stuck in subspace as energy for all eternity. Which is effectively death.
2: The time shifting effect only takes place when the matter stream hits the outgoing gate (makes sense since a connection is needed BEFORE the solar flare hits) and you get the same effect we saw in "1969" where the area surrounding the gate and everything in it is briefly in two times at once until the bubble collapses stranding the travellers wherever they come out.

The second option seams more likely, given the precedent. So going back before the gates would be REALLY bad as it would strand you without any way of correcting the mistake. Theoretically, you could safely miss the mark by millennia as you'll be sent back the the same room and can take another run at it and another and another. Time being relative and all that.

As for Cameron, showing how he ended up on the ship would be a movie in and of itself, so I can forgive them for sidestepping it. I imagine all he did was steal a cargo ship and fly it to Earth.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*All* he did? If you've never tried to pull that off, let me tell you, it's a bear.

[Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

SG-1 managed it. A lot.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And he'd have the advantage of Goa'uld hubris. Back then their security was even more lax than normal and they'd never encountered a modern Tauri at that point.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't Baal also know about (and presumeably have) the Ancient weapon used against the Replicators?
That would have made him unquestioned top-dog without anything else...I'd think he'd have to be getting ready to confront Anubis' return as well....no killing that bozo, but if Baal had access to Anubis' secret ascension lab he might well have kept his word about freeing the Jaffa- only to replace them with Kull warriors.

I really enjoyed this movie- much better than Arc of Truth.

Something I was thinking on- the time-traveling Mitchell likely lived his alterna-life and died prior to the Stargate program's start.
He'd be too old to join WWII as a pilot, but maybe he helpedget people out of harm's way without screwing up the timeline and opened a club in Casablanca or something...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Arks and arcs are different things. *ruler slap*
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps