Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Highlander Endgame (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Highlander Endgame
nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard there is a new Highlander film coming out soon? I wonder if it is any good or not?

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both Conner and Duncan are going to be in it. That's what was said on the official Highlander site. Sounds like fun. I hope they put in 'The Raven' as well.

------------------
Tired of the name of your ship? Always thought that names like USS Frederickson or USS Sao Paulo were difficult to spell? Here is your chance to change that!

Introducing the new NX-2000 Renamer. It can create new names and numbers. Any text, any size, anywhere! You can also use it to change registry numbers. Always though that the number NX-59650 was to low? The Renamer can fix that! Always wanted to impress your friends on DS9 that you have an original Enterprise-D shuttle? The Renamer can change the number in mid-flight!

To order, please call us at: 0-800-CONFUSE

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's ponder this statement for a moment. New Highlander film. Good. Right. I'll believe it when the six-winged monkeys of Dr. Evilicus swoop me away to his hidden mountain base.

*still trying to wash the taste of that second movie out of his mouth*

------------------
Conservative, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others.
--
Ambrose Bierce
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! It's useless to struggle.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the worst thing is that it technically takes place AFTER the third movie. So that's double-damn.

I hope they don't put the Raven-chick in there. Lambert has had some bad movie-years now, this could be his last chance.

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Spoilers)
$
$
$
$
$
$
$

Saw the movie. It basically was going all over the place with these damned flashbacks, morality speeches and oversentimentality, without respect for the plot itself.

The action wasn't that great either, except between Duncan and that Japanese kung-fu fighter.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah that and it was not true to the original movies or series IMO.

$poiler$
$
$
$
$
$
Who else thought the plot was confusing enough without the flashbacks compounding it?
I could hardly keep track of it, and I've seen literally every single movie and episode at least twice! They had Dawson and Methos all of 10 minutes in it too. I'll count it as not real since they bastardized killing Conner so badly.
$
$
$
$
$
$
$

------------------
Where's the bathroom on this ship?

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does one bastardize? And what is this, he said it's "coming out soon"!!! How can you have seen it already? What, did you download it?

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was so stupid and pitiful how it happened.
BTW it came out Friday.

------------------

[This message has been edited by TLE (edited September 04, 2000).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spoiler!

The plot wasn't that good, I agree. I was hoping the opening flashback would go back to Highlander 1 and "clear up" the ending of that film and say, hey, Connor didn't win the prize ... he just whacked an Immortal is all.

I liked "THE" fight scene that answers "THE" question. Maybe at the beginning, you know who wanted you know who to take his head without a fight, but at the end, you know who just wanted one of them to have the other's Quickening.

It was a Chinese guy. Not Japanese.

I really liked seeing Duncan in "kick-ass" mode in Connor's old place.

As I understand it: 2 and 3 NEVER EVER happened. NEVER. Forget them. Don't bother trying to understand them, they DO NOT and NEVER WILL be canon.

As for when this takes place ... Highlander: The Series had 6 seasons. However, season 6 took place over a year after season 5 ended (there was reference in the dialogue in the season 6 premiere to this).

The first season episode where Tesa is kidnapped by the "Beat Master" dude from V? Marc Singer? Dialogue at the beginning of the episode between Tesa and Richie tells that Duncan is in NEW YORK. Could this be when the opening flashback happened? Very possible. It couldn't be much earlier than this, because Connor was in the Series' first episode. This would set the movie about 3 years after the end of the Series, and 2 years after the end of the Raven.

Well, I guess thats all, folks!

"Don't Lose Your Head" -- Queen

------------------
It's a Jeep thing

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spoilers
;
;
;
;

I thought the movie sucked as well. There were a few minor gems, but all in all, it was just a bunch of stuff crammed into an hour and a half. It felt like an episode of the series.

There was so much they could've done with this. You've got this great concept of an immortal who doesn't care about the rules. He has all these footsoldiers working for him that don't care about the rules. And what do they do with it? Hardly anything!! He just kills them all off.

And then to have Connor die so Duncan could face him alone...more dumb. A far better ending would have been for them to both show up and fight him together, choosing to disregard the rules themselves in order to fight this evil. But it turned into just another headchop battle.

Methos and Joe just put in token appearances and really didn't advance the plot at all. I did like the Watchers at the beginning, but they turned boring really fast. I also liked the revelation that Connor's partner/secretary from the first movie showed up again and turned out to be his adoptive daughter. That was a good twist. And at least they got all the old actors to play characters from the first movie. I'm surprised no mention was made of Ramirez, though.

If you can't tell already, I was disappointed.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the Director's Cut of Highlander (at least, thats what they're calling it here in the U.S.), there's a flashback of Connor MacLeod rescuing Rachel from Nazis during WWII, so there's the hint that she's been somethinf special to him all her life.

------------------
How stupid do you have to be to play Russian roulette with a semi-automatic?

Savar
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(spoilers)
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
Highlander sequels have traditionally been disappointments, and Endgame is no different. A plot this thin would have made a so so made-for-tv movie, but fails as a feature length movie.

For me, the flashbacks were the most enjoyable bits. Watching Connor and Duncan make their way through centuries of costumed history was rather fun, as was learning a bit of the personal history of these two characters. I grew tired of seeing the life-weary, broken Connor Macleod bemoaning his "curse."

Apparently, the ancient highlands of Scotland produced quite a few immortals. Duncan and his bride to be were BOTH IMMORTAL? Connor and Jacob Kell were BOTH IMMORTAL? Rather unlikely odds. I also found it difficult to believe a man like Connor Macleod would harbor guilt for centuries over killing a religious zealot responsible for putting his beloved mother to the torch. And after finding out that the source of his "curse" is Jacob Kell, a man responsible for the deaths of everyone Connor has ever loved, he would have relieved him of his head at the first opportunity, holy ground or not.

As far as I'm concerned, Endgame can be grouped with all the other Highlander sequels which most fans have agreed NEVER happened.

IP: Logged
Teelie
Member # 280

I liked two as an "alternative" future, but not as canon. I still can't believe the movies do this though.

Basic formula

Highlander
(original movie)

/-----------|-----------\
/------------|------------\
/-------------|-------------\
/--------------|--------------\
Highlander2 ��Highlander 3 �Highlander 4

They don't connect to eachother at all. Bleh.
Highlander 1 and 3 seperately contained sequels.

------------------

[This message has been edited by TLE (edited September 07, 2000).]

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did Conner get the prize supposedly again in 3? After he killed Mario Van Peebles and all his henchmen? I can't remember. I do remember Mario's character making some comment about Conner believeing he had won the prize or something.

I think the only canon timeline we can accept now is Highlander (the first movie with the suspention of disbelief that Connor actually didn't win the prize)>Highlander:The Series>Highlander 4.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

In New York, several Immortals die as the Kurgan goes headhunting. Connor MacLeod meets, fights, and defeats the Kurgan. Everything about Highlander: 1 is cannon except that Connor doesn't win the prize ... he does move to Scotland with Brenda (where she is apparently hit and killed by a car, and accident 'arranged' by Jacob Kell if we are to believe Highlander 4)

Duncan MacLeod, the jetsetting trendy Immortal, commutes between a barge in Paris and a bankrupt dojo in Seacouver (named so b/c the show was filmed in Vancouver but supposed to take place in a northwestern pacific U.S. city ... and it was an antiques store in season 1, yes), fights to keep his head against a variety of enemies ... including the Horsemen of the Apocalypse. At the end of the series, Duncan has been "chosen" to fight some great evil and kills his student, Richie Ryan in a fit of insanity. Seeking retreat, he leaves the Game for a year before returning and defeating his enemy.

A few years later, Duncan begins having nightmares about Connor, who has been missing for ten years. This is "Highlander IV: Endgame"

Some inconsistencies:

"Highlander: Endgame" would leave one to believe that Connor MacLeod found Duncan a few hours after Duncan's first death, while "Highlander: The Series" firmly establishes that Duncan had been lost in the Highlands for two years as an Immortal before meeting Connor, and had, in fact, taken his first Quickening before meeting Connor. You'll notice I don't say his first head ... Duncan met an Immortal hermit, who prophesised that Duncan would be the one to confront a great evil towards the turn of the millenia. The hermit had confronted the evil at the turn of the last, and cut off his own head to give Duncan his strength.

"Highlander: Endgame" also establishes that Duncan has been married. "Highlander: The Series" was again firm that Duncan MacLeod had NEVER been married and NEVER would be married ... this was key to the episode "Into The Darkness", where Tessa Noel and Richie Ryan were both killed by a renegade Watcher (Richie came back as an Immortal ... Tessa died the permenant death).

I also have a hard time believing that Duncan MacLeod OR Connor MacLeod couldn't defeat Kell by themselves. Connor beat the Kurgan! And look at all the Immortals Duncan got ... hell, he got two of the four Horseman of the Apocalypse!

In The End There Can Be Only One ... and it will be Duncan MacLeod, of the Clan MacLeod ...

------------------
HowsaboutdemO's?

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps