Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Highlander Endgame (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Highlander Endgame
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Highlands of Scotland have produced quite a bit of Immortals ... lots of places have ...

During The Series, Duncan MacLeod took (approx., mind you) 90 Immortal Heads.

Watching episodes like "Watchers""Hunters""Unholy Alliance""Finale""Methos" you tend to get the idea that there are SEVERAL THOUSAND Immortals out there, not couting all the thousands which have died.

The original movie gave the idea that in all of time there are about, oh, four dozen Immortals ... total. From the Dawn of Time to the Gathering.

The Series shows thousands of immortals, from all walks of life. It's only reasonable to expect a fair number of Immortals from Scotland, and yes, from the Highlands. I mean, hell, Duncan and Connor are from the same CLAN much less the same region!!!!

------------------
HowsaboutdemO's?

Soontir_Fel
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has been bothering me for a while. What if there are different kinds of Immortals? Greater Immortals (ex. Connor, Kurgan, Ramirez) and Lesser Immortals (Duncan, Richie, Methos, etc).

The first movie had Connor killing the last Greater Immortal to win the prize. He held the prize until another Immortal accended from Lesser Immortal status to Greater Immortal status. This spawned the dissapointing sequels (I still think the 3rd and 4th were decent). Duncan finally appeared because he is now a Greater Immortal. Methos on the other hand, as the oldest (5000 odd years) could be retired? from the Game and is only a Watcher like Joe Dawson.

This is purely speculation but in some ways it makes a fair amount of sense on how the Movies and the Series are tied together as well as the status on the Prize.

------------------
"I now stand ready to offer you my life, my skills, and my knowledge. I ask you only one thing in return. My wife will have fled by now. Help me find her, save her, and the finest weapon the Empire ever created will be yours to command."
- Colonel Baron Soontir Fel, 'The Making of Baron Fel'

[This message has been edited by Soontir_Fel (edited September 10, 2000).]

IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uhm ... I don't think that works very well.

A good way of explaining Highlander 1 is that it is a "mini-Gathering" ... the 6 Immortals from the film were in close enough proximity to one other that they somehow BELIEVED themselves to be in the final Gathering, and dueled themselves to the end.

Another popular idea, is that the Gathering itself takes a VERY long time ... years, decades even. In fact, the first season of Highlander: The Series opened by saying that the Gathering was indeed here ... of course, you can see how well that would've worked out ... at least a six year Gathering!

Methos is NOT retired from the Game. He has been very active during the past few years of the Series, taking at least three heads that I can think of offhand (Kristin, Silas & the k'immie from the Joe&Methos 6th season ep)

And the thought of Duncan MacLeod of the Clan MacLeod as a "lesser" Immortal makes me cringe ... Duncan has always been portrayed as a character with a very strong moral compass. He's also got a zest for life, something which makes him markedly different from Connor.

------------------
HowsaboutdemO's?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Also, I don't really see how the "modern" events of Highlander 3 can fit into the Highlander: Universe ...

Here's why: Connor kills Kurgan, and moves with Heather to the Scottish Highlands. Heather is killed by a speeding car ... (Jacob Kell's hands at work here, perhaps?)

Now, in Highlander 3, Connor:

Moves to Marakesh, adopts a son, and lives in the "countryside"

In Highlander IV, Connor:

Returns to New York to rebuild his life, but dissapears when Rachel, his "daughter", dies in a bomb set off by Jacob Kell. Connor dissapears into "sanctuary" for 10 years, and when he emerges, he soon challenges clansman Duncan MacLeod to a fight and loses.

I see NO way for the modern events of Highlander 3 to be "cannon" ... sorry, folks ... there is NO way it could have happened ...

The flashbacks, i.e., Connor traveling to Japan, Immortal Kane killing the Sorceror Nakano and being trapped with two other Immortals in a mountain somewhere -- I can TOTALLY see that as having happened.

It would've been so much EASIER if the producers had set Highlander: 3 in The Series universe and not insisting to make a sequel to the first film ... sheeeeesh ...

------------------
HowsaboutdemO's?

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the best thing to do is to forget the movies ever happened, remembering only thaty the first one was good, and started it all, but wipe them from canon, and start over, with the people who made the series makeing the new movies. Highlanders 2 & 3 were not worht watching. 4, from what I've read here, sounds like it's the same old thing again, trying to recapture the magic of the first film, without a quality script. Either make a good film, or stop makeing them!!!

------------------
Sailing the Slipstream

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Which would be too bad ... Highlander: The Series (apart from the occasional bad seed) was a VERY well written TV show. There was a good amount of humor, and some of the swordfights were EXCELLENT ...

And ... believe it or not, The Series also introduces us to Juan Villa Loboz Ramirez' teacher!! Who was killed by a K'Immie way back when, and then Richie killed the K'Immie's apprentice, so the K'Immie came after Richie, but MacLeod stepped in and killed the K'Immie ...

------------------
HowsaboutdemO's?

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the books are fairly consistant with the TV series.
I also think whoever wrote the series was fired and replaced with poorly educated chimps to write Highlander 4.

------------------
Where's the bathroom on this ship?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what the movie seemed like to me: A badly written, long episode of the series.

It just didn't delve into any of the really interesting things about the bad guy. I miss all the history and story-telling of the series. That got into alot of the myths and culture of the Immortals as their own society. Which always made perfect sense to me.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

You know who would've made a great movie?

Instead of using the bad k'immie Kalas in the TV series ...

Kalas was a BIG pain in Duncan's side in the 3rd season. He appeared in FIVE episodes before Duncan finally took his head. Kalas' hunt for Methos was how Duncan met him. In fact, Methos offered Duncan his head -- its the only way to stop Kalas, Methos said.

In the final two episodes Kalas appeared in, he aquired a Watcher disc which identified EVERY Immortal and where they were and who they had been. He challened Duncan MacLeod: if Duncan didn't give him his head, he'd distribute the disc to the media and the Immortals' secret would be out ...

These five episodes would've made a GREAT movie. A little reworking, bring Connor in somehow ... hell yes.

------------------
HowsaboutdemO's?

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes but it's already been done. If it hadn't been, that would be great.

------------------
Where's the bathroom on this ship?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

But in a DREAM reality, where you could plot out the whole five year run of the show (lets ignore Season Six), and a movie or two ...

------------------
HowsaboutdemO's?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's where media NEEDS to be. Someone sits down and comes up with a killer concept. The whole thing is planned out from episode 1. The series, and a couple movies. Everything ties together, everything works. I know this would be incredibly difficult since noone ever knows how anything will go with the networks and what not. But that would make for quality storytelling.

I believe Babylon 5 was set up more or less like this. The writer knew everything that was goning to happen before they started filming.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Well, except you've got to deal with the possibility of regular characters' deciding to leave the show ...

i.e.: Alexandra Vandernoot, whose character died in Season Two b/c filming the Series was taking a toll on her personal life

Stan Kirsch, who had his character Richie killed, when he wanted to move onto work on other things.

I also believe that B5's course wasn't as it was supported to be, either. The Network (or whoever was buying it)didn't like the character of Sinclair, so JMS moved up how the series was SUPPOSED to end, with the audience finding out that Sinclair goes back to become the Mimbari's religious leader.

And with Capt. Sheridan, JMS had to find a new arc to tell, b/c he couldn't suddenly make Sheridan the new Mimbari Religious leader ...

------------------
HowsaboutdemO's?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

And ...

It's not that you plot out every episode and movie you want to do exactly, but just the MAJOR parts ... i.e., Darius' death and MacLeod's discovery of the Watchers ... Tessa's kidnapping, and her and Richie's murder at the hands of a street mugger resulting in her death and Richie becoming an Immortal ... MacLeod telling Richie to go out on his own when he takes his first head ... Xavier St. Cloud working with renegade Watcher James Horton ... Richie coming back to MacLeod when he's stalked by another Immortal ... MacLeod bringing down Horton and the Hunters when they try to use an imposter to pose as Tessa and take Mac off guard ...

------------------
HowsaboutdemO's?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, JMS will swear on a stack of B5 episode guides that he had planned for Sinclair to cut out from the beginning.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps