Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » "Interesting", By Phoebe. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: "Interesting", By Phoebe.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Methos was a series "regular" from the 3rd season on. He was already about 2500 years old when the Horsemen rode, and its possible he went under the name of Thanatos at the time (although the other Horsemen, all Immortal, called him by the name they probably knew him from before).

Kronos was another old Immie, about 4000 years old when MacLeod killed him in the 5th season, and hey, maybe he was the basis for the Greek titan myth, hmmm?

I don't know where they came up with the names of Silas and Caspian. Quite possibly, Caspian was born near the Caspian sea, and took the name (like in the movie, the Kurgan was from an ancient people called the Kurgans, so he kept that name). And Silas has always liked the unpopular things ... goes back to when he was a kid (he's also one of the few Immortals to use a weapon *other* than a sword)

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000
"You still don't understand, do you MacLeod? I am the End of Time!" - Kronos

"You're history!" - MacLeod
"I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is underestimating." - George "Dubya" Bush

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Superstring theory requires ten dimensions, if memory serves, its just that all but four dimensions (x, y, z, t) got squished into infintesimally small loops (the superstrings themselves). At least, I'm fairly sure that's how it works. And even if that is how it works, don't ask me how a dimension gets squished.

------------------
It has been brought to my attention that I need a new signature. Unfortunately, I don't happen to have a new one handy since no one's been by TrekSunday in a while to make witty or otherwise amusing comments. Don't you feel guilty now? ;)

chrono
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gawd sombody actually watches that show!

Astral - the Dream plane, think Freddy

Ethereal - a barrier plane the is like a "NON" distance plane, also much like the Astral plane

Elemental planes:
Air
Earth
Fire
Water

Limbo - plane of NON-time or time (depends on who you ask)
Abyss - hell
Narvana - heaven

Order - or perfect law
Chaos - much like Limbo, but completely random

Basically man's extremes made reality.

------------------
Digital Socery
-the realites BEYOND-

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff: Hm... Is it safe, then, to assume that these "Horsemen" of Highlander are not meant to be the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse? Rather, that they're just four of the immortals who call themselves such?

------------------
"Yeah...apparently Sizer is very hard to say, so they replace it with 'Is Mr. Caeser home?'
Sometimes I'll say that no, he has, in fact, passed away.
'My apologies.'
'Oh, that's ok, I'm over it. Brutus is still a wreck though.'
Then I hang up."
-Simon Sizer on telemarketers, 1-Nov-2000

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice list, man!
Hey! I've BEEN on the air plane, several times actually!!! (Stomache-acids flow due to pun, aargh)

The Kurgans never existed, did they?

------------------
So, how's that Survivor-contest coming along, Newt?
-Well not very well at the MOMENT, everyone seems to have died.
-Gee, that's bad. Those Aliens bugging you yet?
-Not really, they mostly come at night mostly...

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited November 06, 2000).]

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was Alyssa Milano in Commando? No way. *looks it up* Well, fuck me.

------------------
"I do prefer the arse, but you can't dismiss the leg. They're joined at the hip, so to speak."

- Liam Kavanagh

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, they're actually meant to be the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse ...

Who just happened to be Immortal. There's a line in the episode that clears up any doubt, I forget exactly how it goes:

"The Horsemen ... are legend, if they existed, it was thousands of years ago..." - MacLeod

"They were real, alright, and your friend Methos was one of them ..." - Cassandra

The Kurgans *did* exist! About 3,000 years ago or so. Very vicious people, although I don't actually know if they threw small children to dogs for food.

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000

"I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is underestimating." - George "Dubya" Bush

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Without bashing them, I must say the russian people always HAVE been rather special. A different society, different psychology. And the Kurgans might be a cornerstone to the whole soup, then.

IIRC, the four horsies never were a christian legend/myth but a greek one, I recently saw a quote from Socrates or Aristoteles, naming three of them.

But perhaps they are mentioned in the Book anyway, aren't they? Along with that famous pale horse I've heard so much about in many "western's".

------------------

Nim
Member # 205

Aboot the "four elements", didn't Data have a point when he said that fire isn't a separate element, in that ep where he lost his memory in a medieval village.

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

They are in the bible ...

Revelations 6:8 (hence the Highlander-ep name!)

"I looked, and there was a pale green horse. Its rider was named Death, and Hades accompanied him. They were given authority over a quarter of the earth, to kill with sword, famine and plague, and by means of the beasts of the earth."

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, of course they're in the bible... I thought pretty much everyone knew that. I thought that was the only reference to them that most people knew of at all...

------------------
"Yeah...apparently Sizer is very hard to say, so they replace it with 'Is Mr. Caeser home?'
'My apologies.'
Then I hang up."

Nim
Member # 205

The quote from Aristotle doesn't describe an actual quartet of horsemen, just the consequences.

"From time to time it is necessary that pestilence, famine, and war prune the luxuriant growth of the human race"

-- Aristotle 384-322 b.c

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Yes, I wasn't aware they were referenced anywhere *BUT* the Bible. Well, that and "Highlander" ...

Does Aristotle speak of the Horsemen? Because, he's being kind of vague there, you know ...

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000

Nim
Member # 205

Read my post again.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Yeah, I'd say Aristotle was just being general there. No connection to the Apocalyptic Mounties...

Two of the Four Horsemen represented war and death. One of them is a "conqueror", which is practically the same as war. And the other one, although usually called "famine", actually represents inflation, given the words used. The bible I've got right here calls them "war" (the conqueror), "strife" (the war one), "famine" (inflation), and "pestilence" (even though the actual biblical text specifically calls him "thanatos", which means "death").

------------------
'My apologies.'
Then I hang up."

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps