Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » The next Transformers series... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The next Transformers series...
BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I'm remembering this wrong.

But isn't there a series after the "car bots" where it shows Optimus Prime is just the "commander" of the earth sector, and there's a bigger guy that Optimus has to report to? He was later destroyed and re-incarnated into some other bot.

------------------
What is the difference between a terriorist and your girlfriend?
- With terrorist, there is a chance of negotiation.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are we talking about the US or Japanese continuities?

If we're talking US, then Optimus was the leader of the Autobots. Until he died. Then it was Ultra Magnus (for about 5 minutes), and then Rodimus Prime. Then Optimus again, because people moaned.

(In the comics, there were people above Optimus, but he was the head of the Autobot "army", as it were, and no-one would argue with him).

In Japan, I'm a little more shaky. HOWEVER, I think it follows the US one, up until Optimus comes back after dieing. He then dies again, and Rodimus becomes leader. Again. He then buggers off, and Fortress Maximus becomes leader. Then we have Star Sabre, god Ginrai, and various other people, all of whom look rather a lot like Optimus Prime (or Convoy to be picky). I know that God Ginrai was someone else who happened to look like Powermaster Optimus Prime, but I think that Star Sabre was the same person.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, as Car Robots takes place in a completely different continuity. Probably. I think that the original Convoy might have been mentioned, but I'm pretty sure he hasn't been seen.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. Ok, olive branch, say I give this universe a chance (just to see if I can rid me of some prejudice), what would be a good Volume to sample?
You know, not the first, oldest episode, but also not the latest, which is prolly filled with plots and intrigues I am unaccustomed with?
Something in the middle. Like, a "Q Who" or "The Jem'Hadar" for TF?

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His turnip not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh cripes.

You're thinking slightly too much in Anime terms there. Transformers isn't anime. It's, well, a hodgpodge of about 9 million different continuities, some of which borrow from others.

The "purest" Transformers are probably the three US 1980s seasons, but they are, essentially, kids cartoons. And not often shown.

The "best" storyline, in my opinion, is the US Beast Wars storyline. It had depth, ongoing arcs, and some surprisingly good characterisation. As well as a healthy smattering of sex and violence.

Apparently, the best Japanese series are Victory, and, er, the one after it. Zone, I think. But I've no idea of the characters in that.

The Japanese Beast Wars series are suppossed to be fairly childish and awful (and their dub of the US Beast Wars series is also suppossed to be bad. HA! See how they like it when they get a bad dub).

Car Robots is completely seperate, as far as I can tell. I couldn't tell you how good it is. I'm sure it's aimed at a fairly young audience. The toys are great though. Blow most of the Beast Machines toys out of the water (and I like Beast toys).

Of course, the best storyline would be the UK comics, written by Simon Furman. But you're not likely to find many of them in the US anytime soon.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

And also remember, that these have been written over 15 years, some only available in the US, some only avaialable in the UK, and some only in Japan. So it's pretty much a anightmare from beginning to end.

However, a good basic groundwork from the US series would probably start with "More than Meets the Eye" (the opening 3 part pilot episode), and the movie. Which is now available on DVD. And First owns it. Ask him if it's any good, because I don't want to change tenses in mid-paragraph.

The whole of seasons two and three of Beast Wars would be cool too. But try and get the originals, not the cut versions currently showing on FOX Kids.

------------------
-Bubbles

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somebody posted a link to a place which had descriptions and prices (and ordering?) for the Transformers that weren't nominally available in stores here (God Red Alert, or something, etc.)

Can whoever that was post it again?

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"But you're not likely to find many of them in the US anytime soon..."

PsyTurnip, did you suddenly forget I'm from Sweden or did you aim that at the others?

So, if I got you right, the three-part pilot of Beast-Wars, as well as seasons two and three would be good?

You know, as I've only seen the kids-series of TF I thought you guys were slightly out of your minds... Good to see that isn't the case.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited March 02, 2001).]

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Oh Oh!!!!

I used to own Optimus Prime (big one with trailer armour), and the one of the bad guy assemble with a M-1 tank, and what I think is a "black bird" airplane. That one also can turn into a mobile base.

------------------
What is the difference between a terriorist and your girlfriend?
- With terrorist, there is a chance of negotiation.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Powermaster Optimus Prime, G2 Megatron & G2 Starscream (Which was pants), it sounds like.

------------------
"This is such an amazingly minor complaint. Does anyone actually watch episodes anymore, or is it just a notebook + pause button exercise these days?"
-Sol System on what constitutes modern day Star Trek watching, 02-22-01

SIR SIG
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if its headin that way, then I still have Powermaster Optimus Prime. And for that matter all of my 100+ TFs.

But I'm sure many of you can beat that right?

------------------
An Aussie Trek Narrator

IP: Logged
Nim
Member # 205

Well I've got a pen with a naked lady in it! And I FLICK IT! FLICK IT LONG, AND FLICK IT HARD!!

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And since you're Swedish, I suppose those are Foreign Flicks?

"But I'm sure many of you can beat that right?"

There's something here. About Simon possibly, but this one is best used for all of us to cultivate and grow our imagniations.

------------------
"This is such an amazingly minor complaint. Does anyone actually watch episodes anymore, or is it just a notebook + pause button exercise these days?"

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited March 04, 2001).]

Nim
Member # 205

I should've expected that.
Funny though, "flicka" is girl in swedish, but you prolly knew that too, didn't you, Gaylord? (see if you can spot that one)

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Member # 239

Uh, I can't, you know, without taking it as a grave insult, upon which your family will pay with their blood.

Well, I don't get it.

------------------

Nim
Member # 205

Ok, "His middle name's Gaylord. -I know you are!! HAHAHAAH!!!"
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps