Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » From fave ships to most outstanding sci-fi films ever! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: From fave ships to most outstanding sci-fi films ever!
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeh I also really enjoyed Gattaca and The Arrival. Very creepy film that and imaginative. I was really interested to see the sequel released, but yes MIB, a terrible mistake....

Hobbes, was The Final Countdown that mid eighties, time travelling Pearl Harbour affair? If so, I haven't seen that for absolutely years, but recall that it was a damn enjoyable movie. I used to have it on video and its aroused my interest to acquire on tape again. It needs to be added to my collection! I'm a sad movie and sci-fi buff with over 1000 tapes. Including all Trek episodes up to and including the mid-seventh Voyager season. Hence, this is why I've stayed away from any 'Endgame' threads as it doesn't screen here for another couple of months.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think anyone's mentioned Cube. Or Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity for that matter. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen Cube. I don't know. I mostly found it depressing.I forgot one thing though. Did any of the people involved find out what the point behind the cube was?
IP: Logged
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Red. I still have an old worn out VHS copy. I'd love to have it on DVD though.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, they never found out the use of the cube. one of the reasons that movie pissed the hell out of me.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*hi-fives MIB* You make a very persuasive argument, Fry!
And that being so, why don't you go outside and play hide-'n-go-fuck-yourself!

(not to be taken seriously)

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Thomas Crown Affair!
The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Thomas Crown Affair was by no stretch of the imagination a sci-fi film.

I agree with most of the ones people have mentioned so far, such as Contact, 2001, The Matrix, and the manga ones Shik mentioned. I'd be inclined to add "Sphere" and "Red Planet".

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's not forget:

THX 1138
    Contact
    Life Force
    Logan's Run
    Westworld
    Escape From New York
    Final Programme

MIB: I may have to disqualify The Arrival on account of the fact that the film has Charlie Sheen in it. (Had anyone suggested it, Freejack would be similarly disqualified for having not only Emilio Estevez, but also Mick Jagger.) Your namesake would be a more suitable choice.

Hobbes: Final Countdown big thumbs up.

Vogon Poet: Cube = A+, Slave Girls From Beyond Infinity = DoubleD- (seriously, LOL) Go see Starcrash.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anime, not manga.

Contact, Matrix, Sphere, red Planet, et. al. = steaming heaping dung piles. Muy gunpowder there.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, Shik, I confused the genre with the distributor. Although I have seen some magazines refer to the genre as manga, which translates as "irresponsible pictures".

While I'm at it I might as well mention a couple of other good sci-fi anime films:
-Wind of Amnesia
-Akira (of course)
-Cyber City Oedo 808
-Battle Angel Alita
-Patlabor
-Appleseed

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Contact and The Matrix cannot possibly described as

"steaming heaping dung piles"

Utter nonsense, but that's you're opinion, and I respect it. My opinion though says that all anime and manga (or whatever its called) falls into the eloquent description so posted above...

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Nim
Member # 205

I hadn't met or heard of anyone who disliked Matrix, friend, foe or critic.

Patlabor is so damn good, after I'd watched both movies I started going after "The TV Series", I'm at tape 4 there, then I'll try "The New Files", if it's any good.

What would "Princess Mononoke" classify as? Aside from Anime...

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fantasy?, epic?

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stick to my original position that The Arrival was one of the best sci-fi movies ever made. Despite the fact that it starred Charlie Sheen.
IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps