Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » From fave ships to most outstanding sci-fi films ever! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: From fave ships to most outstanding sci-fi films ever!
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RE: The Final Countdown. I think it came out in late-70's. I didn't know if anyone else here had heard of it.

Stargate is a good movie too, but I think the series is much better. I only wish I could watch it again, damn Fox stopped airing it for Nash Bridges.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh...I loved "Final Countdown". And that's funny, Hobbes...because back home, a station moved Stargate for Nash. Guess which one I preferred, Bubba.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In fact I mentioned Dune in my original thread Shik, I definitely have an appeciation of that epic, more though I think the literature than the '84 movie.

Hobbes, I think The Final Countdown came out in about '85 or near that time. I believe it might have been inspired by the Philadelphia Experiment that came out the year before.

I've never worked out if I prefer the original Stargate concept, or the SG-1 TV series. I was always a fan of the movie, it was so damn cool and original, but the series (although a significant storyline departure from the movie) impressed me from day one

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am surprised and shocked that The Empire Strikes Back hasn't even been mentioned once! How people can overlook that classic is beyond me.

Other SF which rates highly on my all-time favorite list:

-Contact
-The Matrix
-Star Trek 3/4/6/8
-Alien(s)
-Close Encounters of the Third Kind
-2001/2010
-Terminator 2
-Jurassic Park (sort of)

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But this isn't about your favorites. It's about outstanding films. Two of my all-time favorite flicks are "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai" & "Big Trouble In Little China," but they're both fucking horrible movies (which adds to their appeal)....so they don't apply here.

To recap, "outstanding" does not mean "I think it's quul."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Certainly Evil Lord Star Wars and Trek movies would appear on any list. But the initial thread was designed to outline all outstanding sci-fi films EXCLUDING SW and Trek

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, someone else mentioned A New Hope My bad though, I skimread the thread a bit.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a difference between a film being bad and a film being...an outsider work.
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In order:

2001: A Space Odyssey
Blade Runner
Dune
(Sci-Fi Channel version, not 80s "blink and you miss half the plot")
A Clockwork Orange
2010: The Year We Make Contact
The Abyss
Terminator 2
Strange Days
Mad Max
THX-1138
Back To The Future
Gattaca
Dark City
Total Recall
Planet of the Apes
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
E.T. The Extra Terrestrial
Alien
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb
Fail-Safe
The Andromeda Strain

(The IMDb lists Dr. Strangelove, Fail-Safe, and A Clockwork Orange as Sci-Fi Films)

I am personally surprised no one has mentioned Metropolis or Brazil

[ July 02, 2001: Message edited by: The359 ]

[ July 24, 2001: Message edited by: The359 ]

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Abyss"

Regular or premium?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, definatly the 3-hour version (or 4-hours if you watch it on TV).
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

The more i look at this thread the more movies I spot that I forgot about. About Blade Runner though, I'm a hard core sci-fi fanatic, and I have this film in widescreen, Director's cut etc etc, and I've watched it several times, but I never liked it much, it never really compelled or satisfied me. Am I the only one?? So many other sci-fi fans want to shoot me when I say this, but I stand by my convictions. The Atmosphere and cinematography are stunning, but as a movie it failed to cut it with me.

--------------------

The ASDB

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

I'd like to now add A.I. to my list...

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh you've seen it? I don't know jack shit about that movie.

Rote K�nigsAdmiral: Me too, it's special but not that many things happen in it. Boy meets girl. Girl is vegetable. Vegetables kill people. Boy kills Vegetables. Bleeched Vegetable dies in front of boy. Boy and girl take trip to countryside whilst listening to synth-bass music.

I haven't seen the DC, tho. Will do that.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

Oh man, there's so much more to the movie then that, Nimrod. If you watch the Director's Cut (which takes out all the narration and the "synth music" ending, as well as adding Deckard's "dream") you come to the major part of the story that you are missing:

Boy finds out he is vegetable.

[ July 03, 2001: Message edited by: The359 ]

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps