Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Lee vs Stargate SG-1 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Lee vs Stargate SG-1
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They don't really explain it... What is generally assumed by the fandom is that following the revolt against Ra, only Ra left Earth alone. The remainder of the System Lords installed and then continued to use the Antarctic gate until it became untenable. Many people think that by that point, there were plenty of subjugated planets the Goa'uld could use for slaves or hosts, and thus didn't need to bother with our backwards little planet.

Another explanation of the cultures found on other planets is one borrowed from Trek, the parallel development theory. That is, an ancient culture would probably evolve along the same lines as the Earthbound equivalent. In this case, the evolution could be considerably slower due to the abscence of conflict from other cultures (like how the Austrailian aborigine culture remained unchanged for thousands of years before a bunch of English guys screwed it up).

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hobbes: I did originally, something didn't work. . . I'll try it again and see what I think. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... Interestingly enough, I always figured the Antarctic gate was the older of the two...
Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which actually makes sense. I can imagine one of the System Lords saying one day: "It's fucking cold down here, why don't we put up a gate somewhere a bit warmer?" 8)

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

Yes! It worked! My "Goa'uld-flashing-eye-smiley!"

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is at least one culture that definately came through the Beta (Antarctic) Gate. The culture was based on Medieval Christianity which wouldn't have developed until long after the Alpha Gate was buried in the revolt.

However, as was suggested earlier, there were other Goa'uld on Earth besides Ra, apparently. They probably contacted the System Lords who brought another Gate to Earth. I think that these other System Lords were taking Humans to their respective worlds (Ra had Abydos, Apophis had Chulak) to mine the Naquida and serve as hosts.

In fact, Osiris and Seth have been on Earth since the Alpha Gate was sealed and were only recently dicovered. So not all of the Goa'uld left...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poet:
Yes! It worked! My "Goa'uld-flashing-eye-smiley!"

Cool! I wanna see.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he means the white "8" he used for the eyes in his 8) smiley. [Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They mentioned the antarctic gate being the more recently buried, and the one explaining the more recent cultures we've seen in the very episode that gate was introduced.

Plus, it sorta makes sense to put the gate in Antarctica, where none of the locals would know where it was. In Egypt, it would have been in a place that would be relatively attackable by the resident population, and indeed that's what happened. In Antarctica, there's no one around, and getting there would be tough for anyone except the Goa'uld and their mighty flying vessels.

Mark

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Yah, I remember when their collective lightbulb came on and they realized that there were two gates at the same address, they asked Teal'c if the Goa'uld would bring another gate if one became inaccessable. He said they might.

Now, this could be interpretted as asking if the Egyptian Gate would've been brought after the Antarctic one was buried or vice versa. It's been a while since I saw that ep, though, so the question may have been more clear than that though.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I just figured the Antarctic gate was older, because Antarctica has been under ice for a lot longer than the Egyptian gate had been underground. Of course, if we assume that the Antarctic gate was installed in the ice on purpose, that changes everything...
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

The thing is though, that they basically established the burying of the Egyptian gate at around 3000 BC, IIRC. We've seen Christian and Viking cultures in the series that obviously post-date that date. They had to get the people off the planet somehow, and the series mythology leads us to believe that their ships weren't capable of traveling very fast until just recently (Teal'c thought motherships traveled at only 10c and cargo ships at 2c, but both were proven wrong fairly quickly). So the second gate must be the newer one.

Mark

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, were the Norse people taken off-world by Goa'uld or Asgard?
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I think the Norse were taken off-world by the Gou'ald, but thereafter, protected by the Asgard. However, I also seem to remember a line in one of the eps about the Asgard visiting Earth and also posing as gods.

Hmmm...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The second gate I think is the Egyptian one. I do believe they used the older gate (Antartica) to get more slaves off planet but I couldn't give you an exact quote or ep on it.

<-- something someone cooked up a while ago.

--------------------
It takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. It only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and smack someone upside the head.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps