Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Lee vs Stargate SG-1 (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Lee vs Stargate SG-1
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's one I just made. First smilie I've ever made.

[ December 27, 2001: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL! Those are great.

Here's what I want to know though...how have they explained (or have they explained) why the alien that Ra was in the movie looked like a full sized humanoid, while the baddies in the series are just little snakes?

There's a tough one for ya.

Other incosistancies in the series/movie change over: 1) Creek mountain was changed to Cheyenne Mountain. 2) O'niell's son's name was changed from Tyler to Charlie. 3) There was no DHD for the Abydos Gate in the movie (or any means of controlling the Gate whatsoever) but there is one in the first ep of the series.

The change from General West to General Hammond was thankfully explained in the first episode and mentioned again in a later episode.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figured the alien was what the Goa'uld used for hosts before humans.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could've been. But at the end of the movie when Ra uses the hand thing, is whole face starts to glow and you can see the alien form start to appear sort of under his skin or something.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably they did it to make the Goa'uld more evil or scary. I guess they though the snake-like Goa'uld looked better than the human-sized one.
Also the name change for O'Neil's son is likely going to be "Charlie was more popular than Tyler" or something. I hadn't paid that close attention to the movie compared to the series.

--------------------
It takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. It only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and smack someone upside the head.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Well, they needed a way for the Goa'uld to be able to "possess" people and they needed them to be able to show up all the time. If they were humanoid size, that wouldn't be very easy to do. The snakes make alot more sense, it's just not easy to reconsile with the movie.

The only time O'Niell's son's name was seen in the movie was on a pipcture frame or something, so it's easy enough to dismiss. The name of the mountain, though, was pretty clearly shown in the movie. I wonder why they changed it? Besdies the fact that Cheyenne sounds cooler than Creek. [Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Differences between the movie and the series:

http://www.scifiguide.net/stargate/faq.shtml#5.1

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, the rank, first name, and backstory wrt Col. O'Neil(l) of our good man Kowalsky were changed between the movie and the TV show. And between some of the episodes of the TV show, too... SG-1 is good on continuity, better than any Trek, but not infallible.

I don't think we have to assume Ra had a different type of alien body, really. In "Serpent's Song", we see that when the parasitic li'l devil dies, time suddenly catches up with the host. Apophis had a host body that was a thousand year old or more, and it withered and died pretty rapidly after Apophis was gone.

Ra, who supposedly discovered the humans, would have an even older host than Apophis - this host could turn into dust in a matter of seconds, with all sorts of associated weird chemical effects to produce inner glow etc.

As for the relative ages of the gates, I like the idea that the Antarctica one stayed open longer. However, that's no reason to assume it was *installed* after the Egyptian one. For all we know, there could have been Ancient gates on Earth long before Ra. And Earth might once have had dozens of gates, being an important hub and source of slave and host trade. But then the Goa'uld overextended themselves, and had to move many gates from Earth to other planets to maintain their growing empire. The last one (apart from the buried two) would have been pulled out in the medieval times... We don't really even know if they can manufacture a gate on their own, or if they are simply moving existing Ancient gates from place to place. Only the Tollan (the guys who waltz through walls) have demonstrated real indigenous gatebuilding capability.

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Well, the problem with the idea of having dozens of gates on earth is that only one gate works on a planet at a time, as we've seen. It wouldn't make alot of sense to have more than one gate on a planet...unless of course each gate belonged to a different Goa'uld and was kept on a different part of the planet and they all just sort of had to wait until noone else was using a gate to send their hosts through. However, incoming wormholes would default to to a single gate, which would undoubtedly present problems.

The Ancients built the gates and we know the Goa'uld can't build them themselves. The Tollan seem to be able to build similar devices, although they're not exactly the same.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They seem better, in fact.
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the p90 is made in belgium by fabrique nationale. it fires a 5.7 mm round from a 50 round magazine that utilizes a rotary feed system (in other words, each round is perpendicular to the breech, and then is rotated 90 degrees at the feed mouth and is inserted into the chamber). sweet little gun.

--jacob

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps