Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Quidditch, Hogwarts, & other Muggle Info ... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Quidditch, Hogwarts, & other Muggle Info ...
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh*
Snay, I'll place my stock wherever I want. Those two sites are the most reliable on the Internet. If you want some information about the release, here's the report from Coming Attractions:

"Because of Warner Bros. buying the rights to distribute Terminator 3 and release it domestically in the summer of 2003, and the release of the two Matrix sequels already planned for the early summer/holiday season of the same year, the earliest Harry Potter 3 would be in theaters will be sometime in 2004. [Based on information that originally appeared in Variety.]"

Plus, Harry Potter would once again have to compete with the Lord of the Rings trilogy (as it will this year) if it was released in 2003, so I think the producers are right to hold it back a year or so.

--------------------
Meh

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
*sigh*
Oh, darn, I offended Veers. I'll go cry now. [Roll Eyes]

Whatever, Veers. I don't know why they'd hold it back a year, and IMDB is not the most reliable -- they list information based on e-mail submissions. I don't know about Current Attractions, but it sounds like they're gathering pieces of information from various sources and drawing conclusions.

Harry Potter has gone up against Lord of the Rings once already. It'll go up against it again this November, along with the next Star Trek film. Why it WOULDN'T go up LoTR for a THIRD time in Nov '03, I can't imagine. I also don't see how big SUMMER movies would affect a late fall/early winter movie.

If they're going to delay it, it WON'T be because of Terminator, Matrix II and III (summer, all), and CERTAINLY not by the last LoTR movie. If I was to make a guess, I'd say that the script is so long (as anyone familiar with the series knows, each book is progressively longer) that shooting is scheduled to run to a point where meeting a fall '03 release date would be impossible. I tend to doubt that. Until I hear something *reliable* from Warner Bros. or the production company, I'll assume HP&TPoA will be released in the fall '03.

Don't take this personally, Veers. But the whole "Harry Potter can't compete against LoTR" arguement is crap.

BTW: finding the cut scenes on the DVD was a pain in the ass. But they were worth it. Go to "classrooms" on the 2nd disc, and click on the Hogwarts emblem in the middle (you probably have to visit each "class" before it'll let you do that). Select the flute to get past Fluffy, then find the broken-wing key, then the round potion bottle. Click on the stone, and you're in the deleted scenes.

Easy. As. Pie.

[Smile]

[ June 01, 2002, 19:42: Message edited by: Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This whole thread would be interesting. If I was eight.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean you're not? You certainly act like you are quite often. [Big Grin]
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard a story about a kettle and a pot and maybe some other kitchen appliances once, but I'm remiss as to how it goes.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Rebuffed by UM. How humiliating.

Then again, at least my twin brother doesn't look like ...

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sprinkles growth hormone around liberally*

Rowling wrote the epilogue for book seven some time ago... a year or more, IIRC. But everything between there heading back to somewhere in the middle of book five has yet to be done.

That = TEH TRUTH!

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't offended. Just frustrated. [Big Grin]

$poilers below if you don't want to know something about the last book.
$
$
$
$
$
I remember J.K. Rowling saying the last word of the last book (7) will be "scar." Now, one must wonder why this is the last word. Probably he touches it or something.

--------------------
Meh

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, there was a documentary on over here a few months back and she said she'd written the last chapter of book 7 and had rough notes on all the others.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My understanding is that book five is finished, but she keeps rewriting parts of it, so the publishers haven't gotten it yet.

And aren't those kids going to be in their early twenties by the time they make the last movie?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Yes. But age isn't that big a deal between late teens, and early twenties ... heck, Natalie Portman was eighteen or nineteen when playing a much older Senator Amidala! [Smile]

And of course, so far at the rate they're filming, they're staying on track ... LOL. Ratcliffe is going to be 13 while "Prisoner of Azkhaban" is filming, so he could conceivably BE 17 when book seven is filmed ... LOL.

Veers -- what I've heard is Warner Brothers is considering postponing "Prisoner...". They might well release "Prisoner" and "Goblet of Fire" both in '04 ... personally, I like a new HP movie every year ... [Smile]

[ June 02, 2002, 18:38: Message edited by: Snay ]

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the movie this weekend. I had never read any of the books, or seen the movie, but enough adults had told me how good it was that I wasn't concerned about ordering the DVD without seeing it first.

I now wish I had seen it before buying. I would have skipped it. Not a bad movie, but I don't see much there for adults. It is not comparable to "Lord Of The Rings" simply because "Rings", well, runs rings around "Potter".

I was told that the books were much better, as most books are when compared to movies, but is Harry Potter that much better in book form, or are the books on the same level as the movie? Please let me know what you all think, cause I need to decide about buying the book.

[Cool]

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

The books are fantastic.

Of course, I don't tend to compare two different things set in roughly the same genre. If I went to see any Star Trek movie with the intent of judging it against "Star Wars", I'd never - ever - watch anything relating to Trek again.

Don't compare LoTR and Harry Potter. They may both be "fantasy", but they're hardly the same thing, and judging one on the merits of the other is (IMHO) rather foolish.

Why so many people intend on doing it is beyond me.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The books are better than the movie. But I've never seen an instance of that being untrue, so I'm not surprised. However, if your problem w/ the movie is that it's for kids, then I don't think you'll like the books, either. They're good books, but they're still written for kids (or "young adults", as the classification goes). If you don't like stuff written for a younger audience, then you're not going to like it, no matter how well-written a kids' book it may be.
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
besides all of that, you can download the books off of certain file sharing progs. That's where I got my copy.

I probably downloaded it off of Morpheus...before it started sucking eggs after the "major hacker attack" they suffered.

"Major Hacker Attack" will be the name of a shitty band one day.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps