Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » The Mars Trilogy is Awesome, with apologies to Elna (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Mars Trilogy is Awesome, with apologies to Elna
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jus wanna say, i Recently read the Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars trilogy and HOW COOL???!!! Wow, i'va wanted 2 go in2 astronomy as a career 4 about 3 years now but the whole men on Mars thing makes it even more interesting! I really was thinking i mite wanna try and get there some time in the distant future coz itd be so amazing an experience!
BTW whoever made this site it is very cool!

We all apologize for hijacking your first thread. Here's the proper forum to discuss Robinson's Mars books.. Officer's Lounge is usually reserved for our personal discussions, while General Sci-Fi applies to the books. Discuss!

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Elna
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Im sorry! The person who told me 2 come on this site said to post a general hi on officers lounge so i did! [Frown] didnt mean to get it wrong i was just kinda introducing meself and wot i like! [Big Grin]
IP: Logged
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey!!!! Don't blame me!!!

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Elna
Ex-Member

Ill bloody well blame whoever i want"! Only joking, Is there anyone out there who will reply to this with something to do with mars or is that totally outta the question?!! [Smile]
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, all right; I hope they make films of the Mars trilogy, though it'd be hard to find actors to play the characters when they're *really* old!

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I never got the chance to read them, but my former friend and current arch nemesis Tim (not you, Tim!) read them and loved them. I believe they came up in discussion when we were arguing whether or not Mars should still be Red after supposedly being terraformed (in Star Trek).

Were there a lot of scientific explanations for the processes of Terraforming used in the book? or am i way out in left field there..?

[ June 13, 2002, 11:00: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

Elna
Ex-Member

Yeah finding actors would be hard, although they could try to age them a little bit and they are only supposed to look seventy at 200 due to the longevity treatments. It would make a damn good film though! Id reccomend the books definately, they changed my views on the planet considerably and since reading them ive actually started to consider becoming an astronaught rather than just an astronomer on earth. Dont know yet though, its a bit far ion my future to properly think about!
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i havnt red the mars 3logy yet, but im sure that their good *lol* if they make plains that traval to mars i want 2 be 1 of the 1st 2 go 2 mars.mars is 2 cool
capped
Member # 709

[Roll Eyes]
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
Well, I never got the chance to read them, but my former friend and current arch nemesis Tim (not you, Tim!) read them and loved them. I believe they came up in discussion when we were arguing whether or not Mars should still be Red after supposedly being terraformed (in Star Trek).

Were there a lot of scientific explanations for the processes of Terraforming used in the book? or am i way out in left field there..?

I don't recall Mars being terraformed in Star Trek - one of the Captain's Table novels mentioned domes though. And no you're not in left field: Red Mars - the journey there and setting up and a bit on terraforming; Green Mars - mostly terraforming info; Blue Mars - I haven't finished this one as I got bogged down with political material in it, but plan to go back once I've moved house and unpacked. [Smile]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They've mentioned "Martian Colonies" in Star Trek, but I don't think they've ever said that it has been terraformed. There are probably big bubble cities or something like the Lunar colonies.
capped
Member # 709

the debate over whether or not Trek depicts, or should depict, Mars as terraformed began in page two of this thread and continued in this one

[ June 13, 2002, 14:45: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as they don't slaughter it like Battlefield Earth.... That would have made a decent mini-series.....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No it wouldn't.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But just think of the starpower!
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps