Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what? You're right. It has nothing to do with anything. Absolutely none. At all. Certainly, if I were to go through the archives and look at threads past, I'd certainly not discover that the majority of them have been derailed with unincidental posts. AND! Here's the kicker: some of them NOT by myself! Wow! And, here's the second kicker: those people weren't publicly scorned! Golly gee!

I can understand being upset about flagrant attacks on members. I am not so innocent. But more innocent than some. Or being mad about swearing and talking about anuses like certain people have been recently. I can see how those would incite a scolding. But, when someone talks about child reading and Moby Dick in a thread, and then I come back with a lame, unfunny, nearly family friendly joke about Moby Dick and child reading, I'm at a loss to see why that is rong, and so unlike what people do anyway. And then, instead of solving problems by private messages of warning, one this far more public and childlike approach of "Don't do this! I am the boss! Don't do this! I am mad!" certainly this makes me feel very fuzzy and warm.

I mean, for fuck sakes, I'm the ninth most fluent poster on this board. Sure, I don't know much about anything, and am not so smart at all, but if I were such an antagonist and a problem, I'd have been warned or something beforehand. But, I wasn't. It seems that with your newfound return and glorious "Listen to me, even though things run perfectly smoothly without me, now that I am watching, I will be the swift hand of justice!" attitude, that I am now not on the level, and because for one day, you don't like what you've seen me post, I get on the outlist.

Well, whatever. Instead of simply approaching myself in a private method, and not publicly singling me out for things, that, if I cared, I'd argue in my defense about, I don't know.

But, I'm not in your little clique, and while it's been fun, it's not so much anymore. I'll save you the effort of banning me, though. Because, you know, I'm outta here like a razor rocket to hell!

I'll start up a new Harry Potter thread, so you can close this one.

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UM, when I see a long time, supposedly respected member of the online Trek community brought down in a flamefest on these very forums, there is something wrong with the community.

I'm disappointed. No, I'm not disappointed, that's not a strong enough word. I'm outright fucking ASHAMED at this behavior. Ashamed.

This is what I spend my time on? This is where $100 of the money I don't have every month goes? So some jackasses can go free for all at each other?

There is a difference between a digression off topic (as naturally tends to occur) and complete bullshit.

And there's a *MAJOR* difference between the Lounge and the other forums on the board.

If this topic had been in the Lounge, this might have been OK... but this topic was supposed to be about a movie, not about your immature reaction to the word "Dick" years ago.

It does not contribute to the topic. It does not help advance the discussion - in any direction. Therefore, it doesn't belong here.

If you wanna leave, be my guest, just let me know when I can lock your account. Just know there's no going back.

Same for you, Thought.

Oh, and for the record, UM, you received your warning months ago when I first told you to knock off the BS or you would be yanked. You apparently didn't get the message then, so I doubt that anything I've said since has mattered anyway.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right, then. Back on track. I just saw "Chamber of secrets" with my girlfriend, on the day of the premiere.
Snay, how did you get to watch it so early, three days before the world premiere?

I realize the difference between book and movie can be astoundingly different, so therefore my points will be directed at the movie alone. That is, my views, nothing else.

My first point is Dobby. Never mind his pathetic selfpunishments and antics, how can a race that obviously has incredible magical powers inherent in their species be slaves under humans (telekinesis, pyrokinesis, teleportation), and how can there exist slaves at all??
Does the Hogwart's "special" status, that frees them from having to explain their existence to the real world, also free them of inailable rights of existence and treatment?

Secondly, how can anyone condone or allow the sort of behavior and treatment of the house-elf (kicking Dobby right in the back, sending him down a fleet of stairs)?

Also, how can a school of magic let a poor, murdered girl's spirit remain and continue to torture herself in the girl's lavatory?
What was it Dumbledore said? "Remember, you can always come to us and ask for help".
That dim friend of Potter didn't even sound surprised when he guessed the flooding of water could be the ghostgirl's doing. If she's such a bother, why not try to alleviate her?
And where do the girls go to the bathroom, if nobody goes there?

Next, there's the whole Slytherin-detail. If the first-ever Slytherin (the claimed fourth founding member of Hogwarts) was a problem, a threat and an arrogant, careless practitioner of dark arts, why not kill him immediately?
Why let a whole section of Hogwarts students get taught in the style of Slytherin? Malfoy and his group of over-emotional, chip-on-their-shoulders ruffians would be expelled in other schools for the numerous threats and abuses they do.
Just look at the magic-fencing scene in the middle, where Malfoy, after stric instructions to disarm his opponent, summons a fucking poison snake at Potter? How would he go about using a snake to disarm?
At that instance his teacher should've kicked Malfoy off the table and killed the snake, but somehow his direct violation was "okay", and instead Potter gets crap for snaketalking? Ha!

And the guy Kenneth Branagh played, how could he have gotten to Hogwarts when his incompetence showed at every given moment? Sure, he used amnesia-spells on professors and critics to get fame, but the leaders of Hogwarts should stand over his low-level spells.
But why did they let Potter's friend bash his skull in with a rock? It was a nauseatingly brutal and cowardly move. Didn't it strike anyone else as excessive?

Onto the end fight. The whole basilisk-thing was confusing, the whole situation getting solved because of a "Deus Ex Machina" that is a red bird carrying the special-hat? Conveniently supplying Potter with a sword? Not that the basilisk exactly tried to eat him, it just kind of waved in front of Potter ten times until he got a lucky thrust up the brain. Even Kevin McCallister could done that. This is a school about a Messianic wizard-kid? In a school of wizards? Why not make him resolve scenes WITH MAGIC???

Then the very end, where Rufus Malfoy attempts to kill Potter over him taking over his servant? Right outside the Principal's Office? Smart move.

Single good thing about the whole movie? Alan Rickman. He rocks, give him some more space. Richard Harris was very good of course, bless his soul, but he plays exactly as I've seen him in his last four roles (esp. Caesar Aurelius), so he feels typecast.

Summary: A visually stunning production, I like everything in the movie, the beautiful castle/school, the quality work on the props (all the flying-brooms and the wands are really cool, and all the clothes are beautiful), even the wall-textures and stone walls are a feast for the eyes. And don't get me started on the rooms, the famous dining hall and all the living quarters are a dream, I'd like to live there myself.

The rest, the script, the contradictions I mentioned, and Robbie Coltrane, suck. But that's just my opinion, mind you.

Interestingly enough, I thought "Die Another Day" sucked for almost the same reasons, and I saw it yeasterday, how ironic that I would watch them one after another. Well, more on that later.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fuck you, Charles. I'm gone.
IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nim,

Chamber of Secrets opened in the US last Friday.

quote:
Does the Hogwart's "special" status, that frees them from having to explain their existence to the real world, also free them of inailable rights of existence and treatment?
I don't know if you've read "Goblet of Fire", but Hermoine goes on a campaign to bring rights to Houselfs ... very much against the grain of the wizarding population. It very much seems that with rare exception, Houselfs are viewed as servants. I don't know WHERE they come from, their origin is unknown.

I will say that all the Houselfs seen have a DESIRE to serve -- I don't wish to spoil "GoF" for you, but I would say that Malfoy's treatment of Dobby is very much an abuse of the more traditional relationship between Wizard/Houself.

quote:
Also, how can a school of magic let a poor, murdered girl's spirit remain and continue to torture herself in the girl's lavatory?
What are they going to do, give her an eviction notice? Myrtle seems to like wallowing in self-pity. There's a huge ghost population within the walls of Hogwarts - Nearly Headless Nick, Peeves, the Bloody Baron, for example - for Myrtle to turn to when she tires of crying in her toilet.

quote:
And where do the girls go to the bathroom, if nobody goes there?
There are many OTHER bathrooms. For example, the bathroom in the first film wherin Hermoine is tormented by a troll ...

quote:
But why did they let Potter's friend bash his skull in with a rock? It was a nauseatingly brutal and cowardly move. Didn't it strike anyone else as excessive?
Who is they? The only people in the sewers were Harry, Ron, and Lockhart. And given that Lockhart had just tried to wipe out both their memories, taking him out of the picture was a good tactic, IMHO.

quote:
where Rufus Malfoy attempts to kill Potter over him taking over his servant? Right outside the Principal's Office? Smart move.
Actually ... it's Lucius Malfoy. No one ever accused him of being smart [Smile]

Nim,

You should really read the books. They're very good. Compared to the book, the movie version of CoS was lacking.

Edepis,

Could you please tell that to Charles in ANOTHER thread? I'd rather this one not be closed.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last chance.

Problems with the administration of this board or moderation in this forum belong somewhere other than this thread. Preferably, private messages or email.

Insulting other posters is still not allowed. Take it to email or private messages.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i cant believe you locked the sane thread and left this madhouse open.

oh well.

Harry Potter. I hear they are going to keep making these things. how indulgent!

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did it as a favor to a friend.

And, yes, there's going to be more Harry Potter movies. There's what four books? With a fifth on the way eventually? As long as people keep eating this up (and if the trends continue, they will) there will be more movies. Kinda like James Bond, Friday the Thirteenth, and Star Wars.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the insightful answers, Snay. With they I meant the scriptwriters, I thought it looked brutal, is all, but I realize it had to be done some way, no biggie.

I probably will read the books, there must be something special that makes all these people all fussed about it. ;-)
When Hagrid came into the dining hall in the end and said this letter had been delivered by some mixed-up, old owl (meaning Weasly's senile owl) some old woman practically screamed with laughter.
I didn't get the pun the way she did, obviously.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weasley's owl (who crashes into the window at the beginning of the film) is not the brightest of creatures [Big Grin]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw it last night and quite enjoyed it; I thought it was much better than the first, both in terms of the story and acting. I got a little bored during the first but this one kept me interested (despite the exceptionally uncomfortable seats). Kenneth Branaugh (sp) and Alan Rickman were especially good I thought. Hermione still annoys me though and it wasn't as good as the book, but then films hardly ever are, are they?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was quite a bit darker than the first film, and that might turn some people off. Not me, though. I think I liked it better. I've only ever read the first book, so I couldn't compare there, but I really enjoyed the film. There was more violence and more blood and things seemed a bit more cut-throat. Ron's back-firing spells and lots of petrified stuff. The spiders were pretty dang creepy, and I loved that car. The phoenix did seem pretty Deus Ex Machina, but I felt like the sequence still worked well, and I was surprised by the violence. I'm told that in the books as the series continues it gets progressively darker. In that case I very much look forward to the next installment. And directed by the director of 'Y Tu Mama Tambien'. Should be interesting.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I have seen it, thought it was great (especially Branagh). I don't feel like writing a full-fledged review, though.

Qestion: Did anyone stay unitl the very end? I stay through the credits for every movie, just to see if there's something extra. And there was. Right after the end, the movie started again, and it had Professor Lockhart's new book, Who Am I? on a shelf in Diagon Alley. On it was a moving picture of him squirming in a strait jacket.

The things patience will let you see. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Meh

P0sitr0nic
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's supposed to be 7 books, and if they make movies out of all of them, they SHOULD keep Daniel Radcliffe, because every book Potter grows a year older, so it would fit.
IP: Logged
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right now, I'm a liilte indiferent about the movie. I have now read the books, and am hooked as anyone, but I know that they had to cut a lot out of this one, and it will get worse as the movies come out, since the books get bigger, and the story and the characters grow. Damn, I'm just waiting for number 5.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps