Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Random Buffy Comments (Page 11)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Random Buffy Comments
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And is it also a coincidence that they're the names of the two male leads on Earth: Final Conflict? I think not.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, not in that case, because one was a replacement for the other. Or something. I dunno.

I suspect that in BtVS's case it was more: "Spike's English, so we'll call him either Charles or William", and then "Angel's Irish, so we'll call him either Liam or Guinness".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do they explain why Angel manages to shake off an accent after several hundred years of life but Spike cant?

That always bothered me about the Highlander stuff as well- the characters seem to stagnate and remain the same as they were when they first become immortal.

Spike and Angel's conversions to a good guy aside, that is.
Mabye it's just that sweet slayer lovin' that does it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Highlander was a GREAT premise that was never fully developed as it should have been. The first movie was pretty good, but everything after that really needed about ten more rewrites and Endgame was a joke of inconsistency. As was H2, oh and H3... well ALL OF IT. I always considered Endgame to be a Fanboy offering.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spike's a good hundred years younger than Angel, and while Angel spent most of Spike's lifetime living in America, Spike was wandering around Europe. So, I mean, Angel was surrounded by American accents while Spike wasn't.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
America has no accents: some of us just speak strangely.

Go to rural Maine sometime- you'll swear it's not english they're speaking.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It also applies to people who don't live for several hundred years. You ever heard Jane Leaves (Daphne from Frasier)? Her accent is a weird mixture of American, London, and a hint of Mancunian. Patrick Stewart on the other hand still sounds as RSC as ever.

Or my own mates, one of whom lived in Newcastle until he was 7, and still has a Geordi accent 15 years later, while another moved from Liverpool to Wales when he was 8 and now sounds Welsh, if anything.

I am stopping with the examples now.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And just what do you sound like, eh?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm at a loss to describe his accent, really. In terms that you'd be able to relate to. We lack a common frame of erefence, as it were. Making Liam's accent akin to death, from a Spockish perspective. Oh, I'm bored. Stuff this, I'm going home.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I thought my accent was Eastury English.

Tom and Di are foreign types who have heard me talk, so you could ask them. (About Lee's too. Not Tom there though, for he was scared of him.)

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Estuary, he means. Not that I'm one to talk with my spoonerisation of 'reference,' however. But I'm at a loss to give Cartman an example of what Estuary English sounds like.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Blair apparently speaks Estuary English. He was told off by the "overly pronounced Engish Society" for saying "Britain" with glutteral stops instead of hard "t"s.

So, er, imagine Blair and or Lee, but a bit less posh. Maybe.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Estuary English the same as Liverpudlian English (Liverpool being located in Mersey estuary (this I know from having been there (during a wild and adventurous high-school road trip through Britain)) and all), only less, erh, plebeian? Because I don't think my mind will accept Liam sounding like Blair. Ever.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Lee
Member # 393

Thames estuary, not the Mersey estuary.

Blair, yes, I guess. Imagine Blair making a half-assed attempt at a cockney accent and you've got Liam. 8)

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
Because I don't think my mind will accept Liam sounding like Blair. Ever.

But it will accept me sounding like Dave Lister?

Howsabout crossing Giles with Spike? FORCEFUL DEFLECTION BACK ON TOPIC!

--------------------

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps