Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Random Buffy Comments (Page 9)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Random Buffy Comments
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like I'll be watching the movie that the show spun off from instead.

Sounds good to me.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The movie does not have much to do with the show, though. They are sufficiently different that enjoying one isn't much use in determining whether you will enjoy the other. So, if you want to see the movie in an effort to "get in at the ground floor," as it were, I don't think it's the best decision.
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could always download the unaired pilot in which Willow is a more realistic and believeable Wiccan-to-be.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
The movie does not have much to do with the show, though. They are sufficiently different that enjoying one isn't much use in determining whether you will enjoy the other. So, if you want to see the movie in an effort to "get in at the ground floor," as it were, I don't think it's the best decision.

I'm trying to get in on the "ground floor" of a relationship with this lovely woman so whatever she wants to watch is what it'll be. [Wink]

Man, I got it bad.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grow a pair of testicles, you libidinous megrim.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Megrim?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Ultra 2 Legit 2 Magnus:
Grow a pair of testicles, you libidinous megrim.

I've dated several women in the past year and this one's actually something special- besides, sitting throgh a movie is not the worst comprimise I've ever made.

....though if she suddenly wants to watch the entire run of the TV show, we may have to talk about it more throughly....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I was going to watch the last Fight Club commentary track tonight but noticed that Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Motion Picture was on TV, so, I figured, why not. So, the special movie edition of this dumb thread.

I missed the first five or ten minutes, though. And at one point in my notes a brief rant at VH1 appears.

So I came in on this flashback scene. Kristy Swanson is a barmaid and dives out a window! And, it is, uh, not so impressive. Like, this Olde Village is not really trumping its various TV counterparts.

Then a commercial selling some sort of inventor "service."
quote:
My idea for the mop was called "Swishy."
Hey, it's Stephen Root! Playing some sort of school authority figure. (The principal, I guess.)

Sideshow Luke Perry. And his character is named. . .Pike? Lots of my notes are just repetitions of what happened rephrased in the form of a question. And David Arquette. And Hilary Swank plus various nobodies. Being the obnoxious sidekick in a teen comedy/action movie is kind of a step down from starring in her own, isn't it? Anyway, is this supposed to be Los Angeles, like in the TV show? Because it feels awfully small-towny.

I like how Donald Sutherland just stands and watches while David Arquette's character is murdered by a vampire before going to help Luke Perry. After the vampire has left. And vampires can fly?

Here I missed a part, because I was seeing what was on IFC. (Buffalo '66, as it turns out. Vincent Gallo reminds me of, all people, Woody Allen.)

"My name is Merrick?" John Merrick?

I wonder what's involved in finding a new slayer, under these rules. She gets a special birthmark, but this seems an inefficient way to find a single girl among the entire human population. Maybe Merrick gets his own version of Buffy's vampire pains. Like he has a trick knee that points the way.

These vampires just fall over when you stab them in the heart. Is it ever specified that she has to use wood to do it? Because if so I missed that. She should just get a knife or something. Also, they get goofy elfin ears instead of wrinkled foreheads.

I'm going to assume someone has already got plenty of snarky message board milage out of Donald Sutherland/Keifer Sutherland/Buffy/Lost Boys.

This dream where Buffy encounters the head vampire is strange and suitably dreamlike, but why did she tie her jaw shut? Or I guess that's just holding her hair back.

And now Merrick is lurking in the girl's locker room and throwing knives at people. He's coming on a little strong, really.

"That may not sound exciting to a sconehead like you." What is this, rhyming slang?

Training montage! Where is this room, anyway?

OH MAN SHE KILLED A FLY WITH A THUMBTACK VIA SPITTING! Which was, to me, sort of an odd way to emphasize her super reflexes.

Actual vampire fighting. And I guess Merrick is living in that big room from the training montage? It looks like an empty ballroom.

So, slayers are warned of the presence of vampires by intense abdominal pain? This seems suboptimal. And Watchers, or, OK, just this one guy, gets reincarnated too? Only he "can't interfere." What sort of sense does that make?

The menace in this scene where Paul Reuban is clinging to Pike's van takes awhile to build. I mean, for at least a minute or so he's just hanging on to the hood and growling, and I'm reminded of that one Father Ted episode. Look out for that low branch! Ah, that old gag.

"Kill him a lot."

These fights are a little uninspired.

Pike is nonplussed by the existence of vampires, which is probably a necessity for a film like this, because otherwise the rest of the film is just "No, seriously, what's going on?"

Rutger Hauer's mustache looks ridiculous. Or does he even have one? In some shots I see it, in others I think I am just imagining it. If he does, it is silly looking.

So far the only things that seem to carry over into the television show are the name of the school and the fact that monsters like to eat kittens.

Here's where I turned over to VH1 and saw yet another program featuring "comedians" "discussing" current events and pop culture, which is 140% of their programming now. (They export the extra to stations like E! and CMT and Bravo, all of which have their own 100 Best or This Week In shows, all featuring Michael Ian Black and Hal Sparks. I only passed by the Country Music channel, I swear.) Anyway, VH1 continues to pioneer programming from which the bottom of the barrel can only be discerned via vast arrays of radio telescopes.

Meanwhile, in the movie, it's the big game. I read the (or rather a) script once, on one of those websites that have movie scripts on them, and in that this was, I think, a football game, but here it is a basketball game. In any case, fangs and goofy ears are apparently no cause for concern. (Because there is a former student/current vampire on the team, in case you have not seen this movie.)

When Buffy runs out to kill the vampire: "There's a girl on the court!" made me laugh.

Luke Perry to the wise-cracking rescue!

It appears the, uh, curious teen slang from the TV pilot was actually a toned down, more realistic version. "Get out of my facial"? Honestly.

Earlier, Pike's motorcycle made dirt bike noises, but here it is clearly not a dirt bike.

Apparently the vampries can't come into a school unless invited, which is strange considering the TV show rules, but I like: "Uh, I invited them." "What!?" "They're seniors!"

The producers apparently decided to make up for some uninspired fight sequences by having Buffy cartwheel wherever she goes.

Really, though, these are pretty slow fights. And what's all this music talk? Buffy can't break Rutger Hauer's spell over her until the power goes out at the DJ booth, but I don't know what the deal is. And now he has a katana, which at least suggests a certain sense of style. And now the day is saved. Hey, wasn't there supposed to be a fire?

"I do think the students learned a lesson about safety. Well, except the dead ones, of course."

So. It had its moments. Apparently the only connections to the show, or at least the only ones I can see, are that Buffy used to be rather more, ah, conscious of her social standing, and that there was a vampire attack on the high school gym. Was her first watcher killed, though, like here? (Oh, I guess I should mention, if for some strange reason you have bothered to read this and have never seen the movie, that Merrick gets killed by the vampires prior to the big dance seige.)

[Finally, on other channels, CBS' Late Late Show continues being unimaginably awful and NBC runs a commercial for a show this Thursday about how people actually used to watch NBC on Thursdays.]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With regards to the gym, Whedon always said that the TV show was spun off from the script for the movie, rather than the actual movie itself. And in the script, there was a fire.

I'm sure he ignored most of the other details, but there you go.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, Simon ... let's keep this going. Come on.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

1.) There is not enough praise here to feed my monstrous ego.

2.) I might do an Angel thread, if I ever get my copy of season one back.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deadcujo:
You could always download the unaired pilot in which Willow is a more realistic and believeable Wiccan-to-be.

You've got to be kidding me. The chick in the unaired pilot can't act to save herself!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deadcujo:

You mean she was the sort of person who followed the latest fad and decided that saying she was a Wicca was far easier than actually developing a personality?

Still, it could have been worse. She could have become a Goth.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

But.... the actreess that played Willow would have been sooo hot as a Goth.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gawd, you'd have Clem if he was a goth! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps