Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » ships in the matrix saga... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: ships in the matrix saga...
aneurysm
Member # 906

- posted      Profile for aneurysm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got back from seeing the matrix reloaded and just got my animatrix dvd and i was wondering about the different ships we see. ive tried to create a list but i know ive missed some, i've only watched the first animatrix movie and i know i missed at least 2 in reloaded... here goes...

Nebuchadnezzar - Captain Morpheus - Destroyed
Osiris - Captain Thadeus - Mark VI no.16 - Made in the USA Year 2079 - Destroyed
Logos - Captain Niobe
Vigilant - Captain Soren - Destroyed
Icarus -

I got the info for the Osiris from a screencap of its dedication plaque. if anybody knows any i've missed i'd be glad for you to let me know. thanks.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't think of any more... but the names they chose are interesting.

Nebuchadnezzar was a Biblical king of Babylon.

Osiris was an Egyptian god.

Logos is Greek for "The Word" I believe and refers to Christ.

Icarus was a Greek god.

So, we're left with Vigilant, which seems to be the only one without any direct religious significance. Odd.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you go back and watch Matrix 1 again then you'll see a shot of the Neb's own dedication plaque.
I think it's just before the scene with Morpheus and Neo in the construct.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Logos is Greek for "The Word" I believe and refers to Christ.
It can, among other things.
aneurysm
Member # 906

- posted      Profile for aneurysm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I'm 90% sure it was Vigilant, I'm going to see it again on Wednesday so I'll try to verify it. I plan on getting the information from the Plaque of the Nebuchadnezzar but I'll have to wait till I next see my dad and borrow his copy as I dont have it.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MARK III No. 11

NEBUCHADNEZZAR

MADE IN THE USA
YEAR 2069

36m, 40s into the movie.

There's a stripe after the A in USA, making it look like USA.I
Might just be the mold frame.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

aneurysm
Member # 906

Thanks Nim. Now, did anyone happen to catch the two ship names i missed out?
There's the name of the ship that picks up the crew of the Nebuchadnezzar after its destruction. I believe Link shouts out "Its the xxxxx".
The other is when the Nebuchadnezzar first docks in Zion and Trinity and Neo make their way to their place, when everyone flocks around them you hear two different people say something along the lines of "Neo, watch over my relative on the XXXXX". One said the Icarus, the other I missed.

aneurysm
Member # 906

-

my cap of the Osiris's plaque if anyone cares.

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aneurysm:
Thanks Nim. Now, did anyone happen to catch the two ship names i missed out?
There's the name of the ship that picks up the crew of the Nebuchadnezzar after its destruction. I believe Link shouts out "Its the xxxxx".

Hammer.

quote:
Originally posted by aneurysm:
The other is when the Nebuchadnezzar first docks in Zion and Trinity and Neo make their way to their place, when everyone flocks around them you hear two different people say something along the lines of "Neo, watch over my relative on the XXXXX". One said the Icarus, the other I missed.

Nosus or Nosis (the woman saying it has a strong accent) - if it's Nosis it could be from the Greek for "understanding".
aneurysm
Member # 906

Thanks Phoenix.... I'll try and check on the spelling of the second one...
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gnosis.
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simon's probably right what with the Christian mysticism and whathaveyou, but it could also be Knossos.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, what's with these commissioning plaques? Were these ships really built in the late 21st century USA, and somehow survived all the recyclings of Zion? Or built anew each time, by the "early" Zionese, under the illusion that they were living in the late 21st century and had just recently escaped underground? Or built anew by the Machines, and donated to the Zionese?

The latter is probably what the movie implies, although the former would be what the original plaque from the first movie was meant to signify. The middle possibility doesn't seem all that likely, since the Zionese probably wouldn't call Zion "USA" even immediately after going underground, nor would the dates be very plausible.

But that prompts the question of how the restart of Zion and the ships is "justified" for the Zionese. What sort of a fake past is fed to the Council - a story of a near-loss of Zion, with just 23 survivors, or a story of continuous history, mentally re-enforced on everybody after the liberation process has replenished Zion's population to a level that fits the continuity illusion?

The latter would dictate that Zion be a Matrix-type controlled illusion. The former could allow for a free, physically existing Zion, just with misled inhabitants (and possible moles).

This is old, idle and somewhat stale speculation, of course. I just wanted to sound the waters for any tidbits that could reinforce one theory or the other - and perhaps the history of the ships could offer us some sort of a handle?

Timo Saloniemi

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neo = 6th "version" of The One.

Now = close to 2199, according to Morpheus.

Also, the Matrix wasn't created in 1999, humanity had to grow vain, complacent and decadent first, as the Animatrix collection implies.
And if the commission plaques are to be believed, the latest date when humans still had industry capability was 2079 (my 100th birthday), birth of the Osiris.
I'll be the head in the jar used to christen her, mmm.

So, about 120 years left,
say one new prodigy every 20 years, starting with that first superdude that taught the others how to fight.

Of course, since neither the Oracle nor Morpheus can be trusted to be accurate, everything's out the window, fucked up, fucked down, fucked sideways.

I WANT TO SEE "REVOLUTIONS"!!!

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

aneurysm
Member # 906

quote:
Originally posted by Nim:

Of course, since neither the Oracle nor Morpheus can be trusted to be accurate, everything's out the window, fucked up, fucked down, fucked sideways.

I WANT TO SEE "REVOLUTIONS"!!!

Amen man. The trailer for Revolutions looks better than that of Reloaded. However, it has ALOT to live up to so I'm going to try and not raise my hopes. And thanks everyone for your help with the ship names.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps