Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » ships in the matrix saga... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: ships in the matrix saga...
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The deepest hole ever dug is only 4.8 kilometers deep.

Well, wait. The article clarifies that that is the deepest gold mine in the world. Anyway, my point is that four kilometers is pretty darn deep. And hot. Incredibly uncomfortable, and no place to hold a rave. You lose enough fluid on E already, without the club being far beneath the surface of the earth.

Incidently, the deepest hole ever dug is +12 kilometers deep. Which is, uh, even deeper. And surely more hellacious. LITERALLY.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, this IS a sci-fi movie. I'm sure that 200-meter boring machines can get 4000 meters in the space of a few days. And for anyone interest, the Earth's crust is usually between 10-50km thick.

http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/research/structure/CrustalStructure/

They dropped the message in the box because they can't have traceable transmissions to Zion - they demonstrate in "Reloaded" that they do not have direct communications between Zion and their fleet. It's also bound to be tough in the first place... All but the most powerful radio waves have problems with thousands of meters of rock. [Smile]

Now, some could argue that if it were possible to send a message to Zion, it wouldn't matter since the machines suppsedly knew where it was anyway...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hammer might be in relation to Thor's Hammer?

Maybe they're getting all Stargateish! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol what is that link to?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, hell, obviously, and how scientists proved that it exists underground. For certain, without any doubt whatsoever. Yes.
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And that people's spirit are living down there, and that you can hear them scream, if you drill a really deep hole and lower a mike in. Yes.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sometiems i hear screams from inside teh toilet!!
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be the wailing of the midichlorians, mourning so many brothers and sisters that they are being separated from forever.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

aneurysm
Member # 906

- posted      Profile for aneurysm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Despite the fact that this topic has turned to shit, i have another question. Did the Vigilant get destroyed or did the crew just die? I cant remember and I would like to know.
Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The squids threw the bomb on the docked ship, the explosion seemed to penetrate the whole ship, including the Jack-in room.
I'd say it was completely destroyed, no sense for the machines to cut back on kilotons, I guess...

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Vigilante was destroyed.

I am keen on the idea that the elements of Zion-the council chamber, the engineering core, the ships, and the rest-are part of a larger computer program. The Architect inferred as such and this would explain how Agent Smith is able to operate outside his environment.

A question is raised in the Architect's chamber-how many of the former Ones choose the path of Zion, and how many chose a different path?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

All the Neos take the same door, and they're just as likely projections of Neo's possible choices as they are recordings from previous iterations. For one thing, there are a heck of a lot more than five.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the Neos in the screens represent all the possible things Neo could do - stare dumbfoundedly, scream, swear, say something insightful.. The idea is to reinforce what the Architect was saying - that Neo had no choice because it was all predetermined. The Oracle said basically the same thing.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newark:
A question is raised in the Architect's chamber-how many of the former Ones choose the path of Zion, and how many chose a different path?

I thought the whole point was that they had all chosen to save humanity and re-start Zion, resetting the whole chain of events. This was the first time the other door was taken.

The question is, if the Machines truly *knew* what Neo was going to do all along, then why didn't they stop him? They've now allowed him to cause the destruction of the Matrix, which leaves them in the shitter basically. So what are they going to do now?

I suppose we can only assume that they are Supremely Confident in All ThingsTM and have a contingency plan...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Nim
Member # 205

I don't believe all the machines are aware of all the plots, plans and insights the architect is flaunting.
The Agents didn't realize Mr. Anderson's value or he'd be dead in that interrogation room.
They are just small programs, not machines per se.
Same with the hunter/killer squids, they are just dumb tools.

The machines aren't gifted with clairvoyance or prescience either, the Oracle knew about Neo's future and actions because they were inside the matrix (her world) and because she had been there with the previous "One's".
Plus she's an old program herself so she can probably see the matrix-world in raw code as well.

The humans' options are of course limited due to their tactical, numeric and technological disadvantage.
The thing that separates humans from these machines are their free will, their hope and most importantly, their randomness and unpredictability.

And the singing meat.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps