Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Dr. Who returns!! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Dr. Who returns!!
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to have to dig up that tape with the movie on it. I always thought is was decent. Certainly not terrible. And the TARDIS sets were incredibly sweet.

So, did the show ever deal with modern time periods, or did it always show the Doctor ending up in the future? I know he also went to other plants and stuff, and got the impression that very little of the show actually took place on Earth.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The show frequently dealt with the present time, or the near future. In fact, the third Doctor spent a huge chunk of his tenure EXILED to Earth of the present (well, the early seventies). They went to the past almost as frequently, as period costumes are easier to rent than to make new futuristic costumes.

I'd love for the '96 movie to be released on DVD some day... I lost the tape years ago. I still hate FOX for not choosing Doctor Who as a new series, and going with Sliders instead. Stoopid networks.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that what happened!?! They went with SLIDERS over Dr. Who!?!?!?!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lost track of SLiders after the second season, I think. It was ok, but the good Doctor would'v been far better.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In early 1995, FOX considered shows to add some sci-fi prgramming to their lineup. Sliders was given a 9-episode commitment as a mid-season replacement, while Doctor Who was slotted for a 90-minute TV movie that would air the following spring. Both were filmed in Vancouver, BC.

Ultimately, they chose the wrong one, and after a moderate first couple seasons of Sliders (which was renewed for a second season to round out a syndication-friendly batch of 22 episodes), it descended into pretty crappy stuff that not even a move to Sci-Fi could save.

Mark

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At one time there was a fascinating website that dished all the dirt about how Sliders went downhill - Rhys Davies' and O'Connell's frustrations that led them to leave, why they got rid of the original girl in so shoddy a fashion. . . Can't find it anymore.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This one, perhaps?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, indeedy!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Hmmm... that's interesting about Kari Wuhrer (SP?). She was uberHot, but I can totally see her being a pain to work with.

Are there any good sites you know of off the top of your head that could give me an overview of the Dr. Who series? Obviously, there's a lot of material to cover, but I'd like to bone up.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Dr Who homepage on BBC

The article about it's return from that site:

quote:
Doctor Who is coming back to BBC One in 2005. It will be a new live-action series, written by Russell T Davies.

Late last night we received the following surprise official statement from BBC Publicity:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lorraine Heggessey, Controller of BBC One, has confirmed that all rights issues regarding Doctor Who have been resolved and has green-lit scripts from writer Russell T Davies.

The statement notes that it is far too early in the day to discuss possible storylines, characters, villains or who might play the Doctor. It also states that it is unlikely anything will be on screen for at least two years.

It will be a family show, but no details are available on when it will be scheduled.

Doctor Who will be produced by BBC Wales in conjunction with Mal Young, Controller of BBC Continuing Series. The executive producers will be Mal Young, Russell T. Davies and Julie Gardner, Head of Drama BBC Wales. Russell T. Davies's writing credits include Bob and Rose, Queer as Folk, The Second Coming, Touching Evil (with Paul Abbott) and The Grand.

Mal Young says: "Doctor Who is a much-loved, truly iconic piece of television history. It's time to crank up the TARDIS and find out what lies in store for the Doctor. We're thrilled to have a writer of Russell's calibre to take us on this journey. However, we're at the very early stages of development and further details, including casting, will not be available for some time."

Award-winning writer Russell T. Davies says: "I grew up watching Doctor Who, hiding behind the sofa like so many others. Doctor Who is one of the BBC's most exciting and original characters. He's had a good rest and now it's time to bring him back!

"The new series will be fun, exciting, contemporary and scary. Although I'm only in the early stages of development, I'm aiming to write a full-blooded drama which embraces the Doctor Who heritage, at the same time as introducing the character to a modern audience."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A report in the Telegraph mentions that six episodes have been commissioned, but there is no information on this in the BBC statement.

A BBCi animated series starring Richard E Grant as the Doctor launches to celebrate the show's 40th anniversary. His adventures will keep you entertained while you're waiting for the new TV series to arrive.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Sweet site... I can see myself becomming addicted to this show pretty quickly...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that you'd be able to see it, unless you're moving to Britain, or you've got Digital �bercable and BBC America shows it.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I meant the franchise in general. But the new show would surely be released on DVD eventually, yes?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Yes - what's sure to be all six episodes of the season. [Razz]

Actually, that's something of a worry for me. BBC shows are often known for their great writing but low production values and short seasons. Great BBC shows like "Coupling" and "Red Dwarf" are limited to six or eight episodes per season, and even a top-rated BBC drama like "Spooks" has only ten episodes in its second season (the first was six).

Heck, Doctor Who started out with FORTY THREE episodes in a season, and by its final four seasons it was down to thirteen half-hour episodes a year. Certainly nothing to match Hollywood's standard of 22 or 26 episodes a season, regardless of length.

I'm all for quality over quantity, but even still...

While I'm at it, I figure that this forthcoming radio/animation Doctor starring Richard E. Grant as the ninth Doctor will will fall into the realm of the various "alternate" doctors that occur over hiatus. There's the Dalek movies featuring "Dr. Who", and a stage play with Trevor Martin as the fourth Doctor in the hiatus following Jon Pertwee's departure from the show and before they found out he'd be replaced by the dude with the scarf. Not to mention Doctors 9-13 played by Rowan Atkinson, Hugh Grant, Richard Grant (again) and the rest of those actors (Including a woman!) - mind you, this is a good thing. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peter Davison= Best Doctor.
Ever.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps